Would Anyone Like To Start A Christian Weight Loss Thread?

Post here diet and lifestyle topics that have a religious orientation. Topics with a religious tone posted in all other parts of the board will be deleted.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, John McDougall

Re: Would Anyone Like To Start A Christian Weight Loss Thread?

Postby pinkrose » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:32 pm

kcwriter wrote:Good Morning and God Bless,

Sooo, I'm asking all to pray for healing on my left knee and right leg. Thank you so much. I have you in my prayers. Katmatt, hope you continue in good health! be blessed, kc

praying...with faith

May He grant you healing, peace and comfort. :D
pinkrose

Postby catmatt » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:58 pm

Good morning everyone,

I have not been doing as well as I had hoped for the past couple of days on my diet. I have been using quite a bit of salt for seasoning and I am starting to retain fluid. I am also still struggling with giving up dairy. I'm hanging in there though. Someone told me to read "The China Study" I am hoping my local library will have it, but if not, I will just buy it on Amazon.

kcwriter - I said a prayer for your healing. Glad your 6 year old is doing better.

Wendy Jane - I have never read Jordan Rubin's book before, but I've watched him some on tv. The last few times I saw him, he was selling vitamins and weight loss aides. He is the picture of health, but I am like you , I don't agree with him much anymore.

Jubilee - Welcome back!

Pink rose - Good afternoon to you over in China! :-)

Blessings,
Cathy
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wxcykMX/]
[/url]
catmatt

Postby Jubilee » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:18 am

Good morning people.

KCWriter, I've prayed for your knee and leg. Please let us know how it's doing.

Catmatt, please hang in there. I too am struggling right now, but the worst thing we can do is to just give up. I figure victory is just one more meal away and keep going. Sometimes, it's just one more bite away. I know it is God's will for me to eat healthily and to in that way (among others) present my body a living sacrifice for Him.

Here is a quote that helped me yesterday:

Power to Obey

He calleth His own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. When He hath put forth all His own, He goeth before them, and the sheep follow Him; for they know His voice.

John 10:3,4 (R. V.)

He only asks thee to yield thyself to Him, that He may work in thee to will and to do by His own mighty power. Thy part is to yield thyself, His part is to work; and never, never will He give thee any command which is not accompanied by ample power to obey it. Take no thought for the morrow in this matter; but abandon thyself with a generous trust to thy loving Lord, who has promised never to call His own sheep out into any path without Himself going before them to make the way easy and safe. Take each little step as He makes it plain to thee. Bring all thy life in each of its details to Him to regulate and guide. Follow gladly and quickly the sweet suggestions of His Spirit in thy soul. And day by day thou wilt find Him bringing thee more and more into conformity with His will in all things; moulding thee and fashioning thee, as thou art able to bear it, into a vessel unto His honor, sanctified and meet for His use, and fitted to every good work.

~ Hannah Whitall Smith

Blessings, Jubilee
Jubilee

Postby kcwriter » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:11 pm

Evening all of you!

Thank you so much for your prayers for my leg. Jose started doing massage therapy on it and to my astonishment, it has helped very much. I am going swimming and still getting my exercise in.

jacob (6) is well and going back to school tomorrow, thank goodness.

to each of you not doing well, hang in there. I am not going to even look at the tiny accidental tastes I do. Old habits die hard. But I can do all things through Christ who stengthens me.

My legs have poor circulation. The right is very bad. I wrapped an aCE bandage around it because I couldn 't afford the 90$ compression stockings. Well, it made a blood clot that is getting worse. I am praying for a miracle healing. I haven't told you about my past. But God healed me of multiple sclerosis one night at church on my knees before the alter. Okay, I don't share it with everyone, but I had lost my eyesight. All I know is that night I gave my life to Christ and I got up off my knees and by the time I hit the door, I could see. Praise God. Anyhow, He did it once and He can do it again! So dear ones, pray for this clot to be gone. The mountain has gotta move! :-D be blessed, kc
kcwriter

Postby luvoatmeal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:21 am

Good Morning to Everyone,
It has been a busy week for me, but I have been reading, just not responding, to all the posts. You are a terrfic bunch of people!

kcwriter - that is truly an amazing story of your healing. All glory to God! And with God's help, we can all move those mountains that hinder us. I'm glad that your 6 year old is better too!!

Jubilee, thank you so much for the encouraging quote.

catmatt - I am sorry that you are struggling a bit. The China study is a GREAT book. I have read it 2 times and it is a powerful book and an eye opening one.

I had a bit of an ahaaa moment last night. As I have said, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I had once again eaten some raw nuts and raisens which I KNOW are very fattening and calorie dense. I was angry with myself because I just can't seem to have any consistency, and while I'm eating them, I say to myself it's only a few. Well, the verse in Song of Solomon popped into my head where it talks about "the little foxes that spoil the vines" . All the little nibbles do add up, and I find myself 10 lbs heavier this year than I was last year due to the "little" foxes. I don't eat donuts, or cookies, or meat or dairy, but I have been taking little liberties with higher fat plant foods, and they really do add up!

So today is a new day, and I am going to get rid of the little foxes in my life and get serious about this. I'm tired of undoing the top button of my skirts and wearing my blouses over them instead of tucked in.

God Bless you all and thank you for your support and help - you are all the best!!!
luvoatmeal

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:32 am

luvoatmeal wrote:All the little nibbles do add up, and I find myself 10 lbs heavier this year than I was last year due to the "little" foxes. I don't eat donuts, or cookies, or meat or dairy, but I have been taking little liberties with higher fat plant foods, and they really do add up!

We are both on the same subject today! I was just thinking of this same thing, these little nibbles have kept me from success with losing what I need to get rid of too.

Little foxes! Who knew?
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Love the Lorax » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:12 am

ROFL!!! I've done the same thing - unbutton the top of the pants and let the shirt hang over! Hate doing it, but sometimes there was much of a choice. Bleh! I love that analogy about the little foxes, I've got some foxes of my own to exterminate.

luvoatmeal wrote:Well, the verse in Song of Solomon popped into my head where it talks about "the little foxes that spoil the vines" . All the little nibbles do add up, and I find myself 10 lbs heavier this year than I was last year due to the "little" foxes. I don't eat donuts, or cookies, or meat or dairy, but I have been taking little liberties with higher fat plant foods, and they really do add up!

So today is a new day, and I am going to get rid of the little foxes in my life and get serious about this. I'm tired of undoing the top button of my skirts and wearing my blouses over them instead of tucked in.

God Bless you all and thank you for your support and help - you are all the best!!!
Love the Lorax

Postby forlife » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:44 am

Wow, what a busy week, I haven't been on.

Catmat and Kc, witht he dairy issues, I found reading the China Study very helpful. There's something about knowledge...Another book that is helpful with this issue is Breaking the Food Seduction by Neil Barnard. Finally, while I didn't appreciate the language in this book, the Skinny Bxxch really painted a good picture. It is a fast read and I'm glad I read it.

Yeah, I think I've been one of those foxes doing some extra nibbling. It is that darn sweet tooth, that is my biggest issue. Most of the time I do pretty good, but there are always a few incidents in a week where I indulge. I like to sabatage myself and I have to get away from that.

KC, I'm glad you and your son are feeling better. Having aching body parts isn't any fun when you desire to exercise.

What are all of your Easter plans? We will be travelling out of town to visit our SAD family members for the weekend. I've got to pack some healthy choices.

Have a Blessed Easter!
forlife

Postby luvoatmeal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:01 pm

Provide things honest in the sight of all men. Rom. 12:17

OOPS! I mentioned in the post above that I don't eat cookies, but I remember that I had one cookie after church a couple of weeks ago. :o So..... I guess I shouldn't be making blanket statements about what I don't eat. Please forgive me.

Well, it sounds like those little foxes have bothered other people too :eek: Let's get rid of them folks!!

Hi forlife!

What is everyone eating for Easter? I think I'm going to have a simple meal of lentil loaf, mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy, greens of some sort, and peach crisp for dessert.
luvoatmeal

Postby dlb » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:41 pm

Hey All -

I've been reading and praying for you all.

We are having company - all SAD eaters - for the weekend. My cousin, his wife and two children are coming. I'm happy they are coming but in a bit of a quandry. Kevin went to Honey Baked to get *that* stuff. I'll serve it but I'm not cooking it. All sides and desserts are going to be McDougall.

I feel like I should do something for the two kids for Easter. But what? Eggs and Candy? I just don't like those choices. What do you all with kids do?

God Bless,
Donna

ps - luvoatmeal - thanks for the warning about those foxes - I will be on the lookout for them :D
To read how the McDougall Program helped me reach my goals, go here:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/donna_byrnes.html
dlb

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:49 pm

We are having one SAD item for Easter dinner. We are having company and using the good china and my nice lace tablecloth. The sides and desserts are all McDougall. I always have baskets for the boys with some candy, less this year than most. Just a few pieces of chocolate and the rest goes in the trash. I'm serious! I wish they sold smaller bags, I bought the smallest ones I could find.

Tonight is a church service with bars and coffee after. I'm taking a bag of lovely apples! ;-)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby luvoatmeal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:31 pm

Hi dlb - thank you for your prayers for all of us :D I like how you use the term "that stuff". Let me guess, it's kind of a pink tint, right? I have an idea on what you could maybe do for kids. How about some fruit kabobs? Use a skewer and put some pretty strawberries, pineapple, grapes, etc on them. Or it doesn't even have to be a food gift. You could fill up baskets with dollar store toys, or coloring books and markers, hmmm. I'll keep thinking and post any other ideas I get. Maybe that site called lunchbox vegan??? might have some ideas.

Mrs. D. Your dinner sounds very elegant! Can I come? :-D How has all your practicing been going? Do you feel prepared for this Sunday? I'm very excited about church this Sunday. Our pastor said he is preaching a good old fashioned gospel message, and there will be special music by some guests from a Bible college.
luvoatmeal

Postby Wendy Jane » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:13 pm

I remember so well actually meeting Jordon Rubin at one of the trade shows I attended some years ago. His book was the HOT THING at the show, and Rubin was everywhere promoting it. At one of the luncheon's he gave a 5 minute or so speech. Then he offered the blessing over our food. After he left, one of the speakers said "Is Rubin gone? Do you think we should tell him what we're eating?" That sure got a laugh out of everyone!

Hey, the other day on this site I clicked on a link someone gave to an article. In that article I found another link titled "25 diet-busting foods you should never eat. Thought I'd share this list here, and see what everyone thinks. I'm typing it exactly as I copied it, so some of the name brands you might not recognize. Here goes:

25 Diet-Busting Foods You Should Never Eat

1) smoothie Kings hulk strawberry smoothie
2) Star Bucks double chocolate chip frappachino blended with whipped cream
3) Coldstone's peanut butter and chocolate shake
4) Aunt Annie's jumbo pretzel dog (Nathan's hot dog in a pretzel)
5) Cinnabun's carmel pecan bon
6) Wendy's sweet and spicy boneless chicken wings
7) Dunkin Donuts coffee cake muffin
8) Olive Garden's grilled shrimp caprese
9) Chili's onion strong/crispy japapeno stack
10) Macaroni's grills kids fettuccini alfredo
11) Quizno's chicken with honey mustard flatbread sandwich
12) Pizza Hut's meaty pzone
13) Lunchables new wholesome deep dish pepperoni fun pack
14) Ruffles cheddar and sour cream flavored potato chips
15) Hagen Daz dulce de leche low-fat frozen yogurt
16) Kar's yogurt apple nut mix
17) Arnold's whole grain country white bread
18) Reese's puff's cereal
19) Kellog's pop tarts brown sugar cinnamon
20) Power Bar performance energy cookies and cream
21) Healthy choice sweet and sour chicken
22) Vitamin water--too much sugar! Read serving size!
23) Quaker natural granola low-fat
24) Bear-Naked chocolaty cherry grain ola-bar
25) Amy's organic thai coconut soup

When I saw number 7 with the Dunkin Donuts muffin I looked closer at the reasons why they selected this item. I did that because my hubby likes their muffins and I wanted some ammunition so he wouldn't eat them anymore. Well I got it!!

one Dunkin Donuts coffee cake muffin has get this:

620 calories
25 grams of fat
7 grams of sat fat
54 grams of sugar
93 grams of carbs

Talk about a gut bomb. When I shared that with my hubby, well, he got the message alright! No more muffins for him thank goodness.
Wendy Jane

Postby catmatt » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I have had a very busy day today and haven't had much time to be on the computer. I will write more tomorrow.

Blessings,
Cathy
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wxcykMX/]
[/url]
catmatt

Postby kcwriter » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:04 pm

Evening everyone,

I had a good day today as far as food. Really so busy that I'm glad I took my food with me.

On my 20th day of Vegan I noted that I ate a salad plain with a squeeze of lime. I could taste all the food in my salad verses dressing. And it was fresh and good.

I was a bit hungry and ate a couple of hunks of sour dough bread. Not on my program but vegan. and hey, I didn't slather it with butter which I did think about doing.

Thanks for the prayers. Today I did a lot and by 5pm I was in tears. This knee has gotta heal.

Well I'm gonna go to bed. Maybe a good night sleep with help. I'm pretty crabby to be around right now. Oh, and by the way. Happy Easter and God Bless you all. kc
kcwriter

PreviousNext

Return to Religious Forum