Resistance Bands

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Resistance Bands

Postby Bkworm » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:52 am

Was diagnosed with RA four years ago. Want to start utilizing resistance bands for exercise. Are there any videos that you would recommend? Any suggestions about how to implement this new exercise plan? I am 62 and have lost 70 pounds since starting this way of eating 14 months ago. Still want to lose about 70 more pounds. Currently walk on the treadmill daily. Use no meds for the RA as this way of eating has eliminated the pain except for occasional minor issues. Take meds for hypothyroidism and high blood pressure. Have reduced blood pressure meds from 20 mg to 5 mg in the past fourteen months since starting this WOE and plan to totally eliminate the BP meds in the very near future. Blood pressure was 100/56 this morning.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.
Bkworm

Re: Resistance Bands

Postby nydave11 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:01 pm

This might be a good start..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC9jkkEjlLI
nydave11

Postby Lani Muelrath » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:22 pm

Bkworm wrote:Was diagnosed with RA four years ago. Want to start utilizing resistance bands for exercise. Are there any videos that you would recommend? Any suggestions about how to implement this new exercise plan? I am 62 and have lost 70 pounds since starting this way of eating 14 months ago. Still want to lose about 70 more pounds. Currently walk on the treadmill daily. Use no meds for the RA as this way of eating has eliminated the pain except for occasional minor issues. Take meds for hypothyroidism and high blood pressure. Have reduced blood pressure meds from 20 mg to 5 mg in the past fourteen months since starting this WOE and plan to totally eliminate the BP meds in the very near future. Blood pressure was 100/56 this morning.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

Hi Bkworm!

Congratulations on the good news about your weight AND your interest in exercise. Together they are a must for the quality of life that I know you value!

What got you interested in resistance bands? I think they are a fabulous form of strength training and encourage you to get some good instruction. Spark people makes some great short exercise videos, so the one linked in the other post response may be a good choice though I haven't viewed it.

The American Council on Exercise does excellent work with instruction as well, here are some resistance band exercises:
http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/fitnes ... quipment=4

And my grad-school classmate Tamilee Webb came out with the first resistance band workout book several years ago, and it stands up pretty good to this day.

Keep me posted on your progress!

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby Bkworm » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:02 pm

Thank you for your replies, Lani and nydave11,

I have already watched the video you provided nydave11 and plan to give it a try. Thank you.

Lani, you asked what got me interested in the resistance bands. Many, many years ago when TV personality Gary Collins had a daytime show, I first saw someone demonstrate resistance bands and discussed just how affective they were and how easy it was to pack them for travel. At that point, I was traveling a lot, but never used them as I was working out at a gym. I next saw them demonstrated by Richard Simmons. Now their popularity seems to be gaining again. I don't have time or really want to be tied to a gym, though many years agi for five years my husband and I worked out on Nautilus machines and thoroughly enjoyed that. During that same time frame, we also ran 3 miles most nights.

Now that I am dealing with RA, and thankfully, the WFPB way of eating is keeping it in check, I definitely need something to utilize for strength training. I do walk on the treadmill, not run, on a daily basis. I can easily walk an hour at a clip but get so bored have decided to walk in 20-minute increments three times a day. I listen to audio books or watch programs on an iPad as I walk but it is still boring. Much prefer walking outside but that is not currently possible.

Could you please tell me if there is a difference in the workout you receive between the resistance cords with handles and the flat bands? I have a set of each, and have located some videos utilizing both styles of bands. Am trying to figure out if one might be easier on my hands than the other. The RA primarily affects my hands.

Lani, I will definitely check out the link you provided and also see if I can get Tamilee Webb's book. I also have yoga videos for people dealing with pain and or RA. Would like to get where I use the cords three days a week and do yoga three days a week. Does that seem feasible dealing with RA?

Again, thank you both for your input.
Bkworm

Return to Exercise and Fitness