The daily amount protein!

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

The daily amount protein!

Postby Sascha Wege » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:21 am

Good Morning!

After reading The Starch Solution, I am still curious about one thing about the right daily protein intake. Well, i should better say exeptions in the recommended amount of daily protein intake.
. You see as an athlete I am very often confronted (like all of us i think) with the "where-do-you-get-your-protein question, but i feel that with a daily amound of 60 to 80 gramms of protein from plant source i feel good and I am able to rise my performance levels constantly :) and so can tell to be fully convinced that the recommended 30-80 gramms of protein to be more than enough as i am already eating that way.

Would you recommend raising the amount of protein to reach certain goals or certain needs, for some time?[b]

For example: Recovery from surgery or other injuries, or for athletic performance, if the goal is to gain muscle mass to reach muscular hypertrophy.

Greetings from Germany,

Sascha Wege
Sascha Wege

Re: The daily amount protein!

Postby NewCindy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:16 pm

Dr. Campbell in The China Study states: page-74 [Chart 4.3 shows the average Chinese diet has 2641 calories and .8% animal protein as a percent of calories whereas the US diet has 1989 calories and 10-11% of calories from animal protein.

The point of the book is that diseases killing us are absent in China. He goes on: Page 308 “Perhaps the most shocking figure is the upper limit on protein intake. Relative to total caloric intake, only 5-6% dietary protein is required to replace the protein regularly excreted by the body (as amino acids)."

I made a fun chart that compares plant protein per calorie to 3 animal products. You can find it here: http://www.veganaugusta.com/faq-protein-etc/
Look for this "Or see this chart that shows how plants are better calorie choices for protein."

Here is Dr McDougall's take: http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/apr/protein.htm
NewCindy

Re: The daily amount protein!

Postby Lani Muelrath » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:59 pm

Sascha Wege wrote:Good Morning!

After reading The Starch Solution, I am still curious about one thing about the right daily protein intake. Well, i should better say exeptions in the recommended amount of daily protein intake.
. You see as an athlete I am very often confronted (like all of us i think) with the "where-do-you-get-your-protein question, but i feel that with a daily amound of 60 to 80 gramms of protein from plant source i feel good and I am able to rise my performance levels constantly :) and so can tell to be fully convinced that the recommended 30-80 gramms of protein to be more than enough as i am already eating that way.

Would you recommend raising the amount of protein to reach certain goals or certain needs, for some time?[b]

For example: Recovery from surgery or other injuries, or for athletic performance, if the goal is to gain muscle mass to reach muscular hypertrophy.

Greetings from Germany,

Sascha Wege

Guten Tag Sascha!

Protein requirements are calculated as .83 grams per kilogram of body weight. Athletes and very active people eat more overall calories in general, which increases their protein intake naturally. It's actually hard NOT to get enough protein and it can be easy to get too much. So you may be doing just fine. If you are worried about it, just be sure to get solid beans, greens, whole grains and nuts and seeds to keep up with your energy needs. There are also higher protein food such as quinoa that you can keep as solid components of your diet.

I know it can be taxing to go against the stream of the culture that keeps hammering more protein, especially in the gym. Stay connected with others who are seeing the light when it comes to plant-based nutrition - it helps!

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Return to Exercise and Fitness