Using hand weights while walking

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Using hand weights while walking

Postby Chumly » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:24 pm

Hi Lani,

In the past I remember seeing people walk with hand weights, but it is a trend that seemed to die out. I recently started doing this with 2.5 lb. weights while I walk and it seems like I get more of a full-body workout. I usually feel a little sore all over my body, at least the first few times I did it. Is this a good exercise? Are there any risks?

Michael
Chumly

Re: Using hand weights while walking

Postby Lani Muelrath » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:52 am

Chumly wrote:Hi Lani,

In the past I remember seeing people walk with hand weights, but it is a trend that seemed to die out. I recently started doing this with 2.5 lb. weights while I walk and it seems like I get more of a full-body workout. I usually feel a little sore all over my body, at least the first few times I did it. Is this a good exercise? Are there any risks?

Michael

Hey Michael,

You probably see less of this - handheld weights during walking - for two reasons. For one, the practice showed no benefits to improving workout quality and two, they can actually place joints at risk, even at seemingly light weights.

1) No real benefit:

In 1977 Len Kravitz, PhD - University of New Mexico - conducted a study published in the J[url=Well known exercise physiologist, Len Kravitz, PhD, at the University of New Mexico conducted a study published in 1997 in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. This study compared the effects of 12 weeks of step aerobic training with and without handheld weights on cardiorespiratory fitness, body composition, muscular strength, and incidence of injury in college women (18-36 yrs).

The subjects participated in either a step aerobic training program with handweights or without handweights 3 days a week for 30 min, at 75 to 90% HR max.This study compared the long term effects of women who did step aerobics while holding hand weights (starting at around 2 pounds and working up to 4 pounds over a 12 week period). The subjects completed a 30-minute step workout three days a week.

The results showed that women who carried weights during their cardio workouts did not experience improved results compared to those who did not use the weights. While at the end of the training period the women in both groups improved their fitness levels and decreased their body fat percentage, the women who stepped while lifting weights did not get better results, suggesting that it was the step workout and not the hand weights that produced the improved fitness effects. ]ournal of Strength and Conditioning Research.

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstr ... ce.11.aspx

So while the workout with handheld weights feels harder, that doesn't necessarily mean your body is benefiting from the extra weight.

2) Joint risk

Though you may experience a slightly increased calorie burn can be experienced from holding weights,the problem is that when you swing a weight, you exponentially increase the forces on your joints. What might be considered a very light weight if you were doing controlled repetitions of, for example, biceps curls, can turn into a magnified stress on the elbow and shoulder joints. Shifting the weights to your ankles doesn't fare better as you put knees and hips at risk. Using additional weight in this fashion over the long-term can result in significant joint and muscle strain and even injury.

Better option:

A weighted vest is the best way to add more resistance and challenge to a walk. Another alternative - even easier to slip in, depending on your condition and any orthopedic and cardiovascular concerns - is to slip intervals into your walking. This means a few minutes of walking at a challenging pace, working up to a jog and even a sprint.

Keep moving! :nod:

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby Rachelle » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:30 am

Hi Lani,

Since you don't recommend using hand weights when walking, I wanted to know what you think about
Zumba toning. My gym started offering zumba toning. They are supposed to use special 1 or 2 lb weights that
can be shaken but they are not provided so we use free weights either 1 or 2 lbs. I don't feel it is providing any toning
for me. I take other classes for that such as kettle bell or free weight classes where I use 8-15 lb kettlebells/weights.

It may not really be effective for toning but my question to is it safe? I feel that there is no time to position oneself
so that one's form is perfect.

thanks,
rachelle
Rachelle

Postby Lani Muelrath » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:56 am

Rachelle wrote:Hi Lani,

Since you don't recommend using hand weights when walking, I wanted to know what you think about
Zumba toning. My gym started offering zumba toning. They are supposed to use special 1 or 2 lb weights that
can be shaken but they are not provided so we use free weights either 1 or 2 lbs. I don't feel it is providing any toning
for me. I take other classes for that such as kettle bell or free weight classes where I use 8-15 lb kettlebells/weights.

It may not really be effective for toning but my question to is it safe? I feel that there is no time to position oneself
so that one's form is perfect.

thanks,
rachelle

Rachelle,

Maybe I missed it but I don't see a description of what 'zumba toning' is - ? Do you mean you hold hand weights while doing zumba? In that case the precautions for walking and running would stand.

Please clarify as needed.

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby Rachelle » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:37 am

Hi Lani,

Thanks for your reply.
Zumba toning is:
Zumba toning classes raises Zumba dance-fitness to the next level. According to the American Fitness Council, Zumba toning incorporates Latin-inspired dance with body-sculpting techniques. Participants in this fitness program use light-weight training sticks filled with sand. The sticks weigh around 2½ pounds and are used similarly to maracas. Along with dance moves, the sticks improve cardio performance and tone and strengthen the body's muscles.

But as I mentioned above the gym does not provide those weight training sticks filled with sand so we have to use free weights.

So I think you are saying that it may not be safe to use weights while we are doing zumba?

thanks,
rachelle
Rachelle

Postby Lani Muelrath » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:01 am

If you look at Dr. Kravitz' comments, they would apply to any otherwise cardio movement where the idea is to add a little weight to the extremities with the interest of increasing challenge and building muscle. It may present more orthopedic challenge than worth any payoff in muscle strength, toning, or increased calorie burn. If you find documented evidence to the contrary, then you could consider it.

Generally the best option is cardio being cardio and resistance training, which can offer some cardiovascular benefits, being focused on resistance training. Perhaps Zumba has done some research on this new technique for their classes. It probably does burn a little more calorie than without the extra resistance, but not significant enough to outweigh some potential problems.

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby Rachelle » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Lani thanks for your reply.

rachelle
Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:46 am

Hi Lani,

You mentioned in this discussion the better option of using a weighted vest. I was wondering if you could
provide some guidance on getting and using a weighed vest. It sounds interesting because it would
provide more weight bearing work out for the back. I am 5'6", weigh 110 pounds, am 60 years old and
I regularly do zumba, weight training (Kettle bells, free weights, TRX), stability balls, core exercises,
and very brisk walking. I would use the vest for walking and possibly core exercises.
The vest I am interested in has 2.5 lb weights so I could start out with 2.5 in front and 2.5 in the back?
And then what would be the safe maximum? They sell vests with max 15, 20, 25, etc.
I am concerned with negatively impacting my back with too much weight.
I would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

thanks,
rachelle
Rachelle

Postby Lani Muelrath » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:27 am

Rachelle wrote:Hi Lani,

You mentioned in this discussion the better option of using a weighted vest. I was wondering if you could
provide some guidance on getting and using a weighed vest. It sounds interesting because it would
provide more weight bearing work out for the back. I am 5'6", weigh 110 pounds, am 60 years old and
I regularly do zumba, weight training (Kettle bells, free weights, TRX), stability balls, core exercises,
and very brisk walking. I would use the vest for walking and possibly core exercises.
The vest I am interested in has 2.5 lb weights so I could start out with 2.5 in front and 2.5 in the back?
And then what would be the safe maximum? They sell vests with max 15, 20, 25, etc.
I am concerned with negatively impacting my back with too much weight.
I would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

thanks,
rachelle

Hi Rachelle!

Sounds like you've got some great variety going on and that you are attentive to playing safe. That's great!

I don't have a particular brand of vest or weight to recommend. The weight load would be an individual choice, depending on where you start. Even weights front and back are a good option because of even distribution of weight. As for how high to go on weights, perhaps relate to your goals. What is it you are trying to achieve? More weight bearing for bones? Increased fitness due to the greater cardio load?

Another thing to keep in mind when it comes to bones is that jumps and landings evidently create greater bone building impact that sustained loads, so if you can mix that it somehow, you enhance the whole project.

A vest with lots of options for add-ons would give you flexibility as you progress. You mention the back which I am glad to see - core stability training is the key to healthy backs - along with good posture. It sounds like you are getting a lot of that with your variety - and you don't mention any problems - correct?

Keep up the good work and let me know how your vest venture progresses!

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby Katydid » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:32 am

Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion of trekking poles? I use these sometimes on long walks or hikes when I want a upper body workout.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Lani Muelrath » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:34 am

Katydid wrote:Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion of trekking poles? I use these sometimes on long walks or hikes when I want a upper body workout.
Kate

More body involvement - you get the upper body fired up as well. Great addition! Keep mindful of shoulder alignment and not pitching forward and throwing the hips and back and lower body out of alignment - if you have the Fit Quickies book, review the anchored neutral position and how to gently yet firmly keep it in position.

You go!

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Return to Exercise and Fitness