Bit of a 'dis on HIIT, love to know what you think of this?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Bit of a 'dis on HIIT, love to know what you think of this?

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:22 am

http://anthonymychal.com/2013/10/handli ... m-mistake/
Handling Cardio for Sports (or CrossFit and HIIT’s Energy System Mistake)
GeoffreyLevens

Re: Bit of a 'dis on HIIT, love to know what you think of th

Postby vgpedlr » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:31 am

Interesting article. That is why I train las Arthur Lydiard and Phil Maffetone recommend, which is almost exclusively aerobic.
vgpedlr

Postby Lani Muelrath » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:19 pm

vgpedlr wrote:Interesting article. That is why I train las Arthur Lydiard and Phil Maffetone recommend, which is almost exclusively aerobic.

Hey vgpedlr,

What exactly would you like a response to? Is there a specific point you would like an answer regarding?

Thanks,
Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby vgpedlr » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:25 pm

I was responding to the OP's link, which was an article that criticizes exercise routines that focus on anaerobic exercise such as HIIT. I feel such exercise has more risks than benefits for most people.
vgpedlr

Postby Lani Muelrath » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:49 am

vgpedlr wrote:I was responding to the OP's link, which was an article that criticizes exercise routines that focus on anaerobic exercise such as HIIT. I feel such exercise has more risks than benefits for most people.

Yes, I clicked over to the article to see the topic yet asked if you had a specific question. It is best when stated as otherwise I don't know how to best utilize resources to meet your need - if I take time to read every article people send me to offer a detailed response to, it is impossible, as I am sure you understand! Specifics are best.

So to clarify, your position is that High intensity interval training is best left alone due to risks, and you are asking me about same?

Thanks!
Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:23 pm

Lani Muelrath wrote:So to clarify, your position is that High intensity interval training is best left alone due to risks, and you are asking me about same?
Thanks!
Lani

I am not asking you anything, GeoffreyLevens is asking, in the title of the thread.

But I do agree with the general direction of the article. I believe the risks of HIIT outweigh the potential benefits for most people, most of the time.
vgpedlr

Postby Lani Muelrath » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:58 pm

I am not asking you anything, GeoffreyLevens is asking, in the title of the thread.

But I do agree with the general direction of the article. I believe the risks of HIIT outweigh the potential benefits for most people, most of the time.[/quote]

Vegpedlr, I so apologize! That's what I get for being so busy, I'm still unpacking from presentations at SF Vegfest and prepping for Plant-Powered Fitness Expo this weekend and in this new Board format (am I the only one finding it harder to read?) I had the question as coming from you. Please accept my apology, my bad! :oops:

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:34 pm

Lani Muelrath wrote: Please accept my apology, my bad! :oops: Lani

No worries, the new format takes some getting used to. My sister is running a charity bike ride in Sonoma County this weekend, so I had to miss SF Veg, and this weekend's expo in order to preride and mark the course. Bummer, I would love to get the chance to meet you and Robert Cheeke in person. Another day. The expo looks great, I hope it goes off well!
vgpedlr

Postby Lani Muelrath » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:31 pm

vgpedlr wrote:
Lani Muelrath wrote: Please accept my apology, my bad! :oops: Lani

No worries, the new format takes some getting used to. My sister is running a charity bike ride in Sonoma County this weekend, so I had to miss SF Veg, and this weekend's expo in order to preride and mark the course. Bummer, I would love to get the chance to meet you and Robert Cheeke in person. Another day. The expo looks great, I hope it goes off well!

Thanks vgpedlr - to think I was so close to meeting you! I do think we're going to have a blast on Saturday! :nod:

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:22 pm

No worries, the new format takes some getting used to.

Ah, yeah, just found this as I somehow neglected to check the box to get follow up though why that would not be automatic on forums is pretty counter intuitive to me. Sorry I vanished on you!!!

I was wondering Lani, just if you had any comments pro or con on his argument. I have trained almost exclusively anaerobic HIIT for a number of years. Lately, prior to this article had added in some much more aerobic, slower, more duration type training. I have noticed good things from both, quite different post work-out neurological rewards in terms of "endorphin" high, hard to characterize but different, pleasurable drugs ;) Also, not quite clear yet but seems to be a difference in metabolism between the two for the rest of the day and even into the next.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Wumpus » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:17 pm

I'm necro-ing this thread because it showed up in a search on HIIT, and that's become relevant in an ongoing discussion in the Lounge on exercise and sufficiency/excess for health.

My specific comment about the OP; the article is discussing athletic performance but does not touch on health at all, really. Its main argument for rejecting lactic anaerobic training is that this pathway is irrelevant to performance in actual sports, not that it is irrelevant to health. Why are people here taking this article as evidence that HIIT is an unsound approach to health?
Wumpus

Postby Lani Muelrath » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:09 am

Wumpus wrote:I'm necro-ing this thread because it showed up in a search on HIIT, and that's become relevant in an ongoing discussion in the Lounge on exercise and sufficiency/excess for health.

My specific comment about the OP; the article is discussing athletic performance but does not touch on health at all, really. Its main argument for rejecting lactic anaerobic training is that this pathway is irrelevant to performance in actual sports, not that it is irrelevant to health. Why are people here taking this article as evidence that HIIT is an unsound approach to health?

Hi Wumpus,

I'm not seeing a specific question in your post - commentary on a lengthy discussion?

We do have evidence that the body needs challenge beyond our comfort activity zone for increased return in building cognitive ability and preventative health. And it doesn't mean "running a hill until you puke" (to quote the article) - it means rather stretching our current fitness level, and burst of activity can be safe and effective tools for doing this. Overdone, of course it puts one at orthopedic risk.
Lani Muelrath

Postby Wumpus » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:55 am

I have questions/commentary on this article and this discussion. The reason why I dug it up was a lenthy, many-headed discussion in the Lounge.

To reiterate, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how exactly this article is being construed as a diss on the health of HIIT. I know that both you and vegpedlr still participate on the forum, for example, so was wondering if the people who had this kind of opinion in this discussion could elaborate their views.

I'm not sure that you are the best person to answer because, while I'm with you that risk of injury is a major concern with HIIT, that doesn't seem to be an opinion that developed in response to the article itself. But then you may know some things about the "lactic, alactic, and aerobic" pathways, in the words of the article, that would enable you to judge how much people might want to invest in exercising each path.
Wumpus

Postby Lani Muelrath » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:07 am

Wumpus,

I see! It is beyond the scope of time available to do a complete assessment of the conversation and provide instruction and commentary in all three realms about which you ask. Perhaps this article will provide some of the insights you are looking for:

http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/ ... bic-titans

Hope this is helpful! Len Kravitz is very well researched and knowledgeable in exercise physiology.

Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby Wumpus » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:14 am

Yeah, I fully understand the time issue. Thanks for the link!
Wumpus

Next

Return to Exercise and Fitness