Online Seed Companies

Share your gardening experiences here

Moderator: JeffN

Online Seed Companies

Postby LeeAnne » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:48 am

I just had an interesting experience. I went to Johnny's Seed company online to order yukon gold seed potatoes. I noticed he had 25#'s for $19 which is a really good deal. I went through the usual pages of checking out and noticed he charged over $32 for shipping these 19 pounds of potatoes!

So I went over to Henry Field's to see what they had. I ordered only 16 pounds - they had a certificate for $25 off if your order was over $50. Mine came to just barely over so I qualified. But do you think I could find where to find the $25 off place? Checking out was so difficult to do -- I got clear to the last page before realizing I hadn't put in the code numbers for the $25 off. The shipped was only 8.95 for sending 16#'s - I was glad of that.

I went back to put in the code for the $25 off and lo and behold--my shipping suddenly jumped up $3.00. I thought that was interesting. Checking out was a pain, if I didn't get one small thing right on the page, it erased a bunch of other stuff and I think I had to put in my credit card number at least five times. I was getting more and more disgusted by the minute.

Final total for Johnny's was $52 for 25 pounds. Final total for Henry's with the $25 coupon off for 16 pounds was $39.

That was when I realized I really wanted 25 pounds and that is what I ended up ordering through Johnny's simply because he has good quality and for $13 more I got 9 more pounds of seed potatoes. Also it was easier to check out with Johnny's and he was up front on how much the shipping would be where Henry's didn't let me see shipping until the very last page. Plus just by using the $25 off coupon, Henry's ADDED $3 to my shipping total. :angry:

Plus I've had seed potatoes from Johnny's before and they are top quality!!!! I'm VERY happy with my decision. :-)
LeeAnne

Re: Online Seed Companies

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:58 am

Yeah, it is hard to know who to trust. I think I would have been frustrated with the Henry's too. I can't believe it jumped up $3 when you used that coupon.

I love Johnny's seeds. Plumeria told me about them years ago. I have not had any problem. My seeds always sprout too, so the success rate is good. They are usually slightly more.

I comparison shop other garden items and things but for seeds I stick with Johnny's.

Hey always check out the clearance section. I've had some fun seeds come from there.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Glenn50 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:32 pm

Found this site which has most of the major online seed companies in the US.
Some of these I have dealt with to get unusual varieties shipped to NZ.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic- ... anies.aspx
Glenn50

Postby LeeAnne » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:34 pm

Glenn, I agree, motherearthnews is a good magazine--we get one occasionally....

Faith---I didn't know Johnny's had a clearance section--I'll check that out--thanks.
LeeAnne

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:21 pm

Yep I just put my order in today. I'm late due to being in school until Feb. I did get three different packs of seeds to try. All of them were marked 1-1.50. Love it. Though their website froze on me and I ended up having to call in my order.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby veganjen » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:07 pm

Last spring I purchased seeds from Sustainable Seed Company and was very happy with them. It was my first year garden in this new place and I was surprised at how many different vegetables grew, I wasn't expecting much since I didn't really prepare the soil properly.

http://sustainableseedco.com/
Jen :)

Pictures:
http://s1061.photobucket.com/albums/t477/jengrif/
My website:
http://www.jengriffen.com/default.html

Action is the foundational key to all success.
Pablo Picasso
veganjen

Return to Gardening