Eggplant blossom drop - Help

Share your gardening experiences here

Moderator: JeffN

Eggplant blossom drop - Help

Postby kittyadventures » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:52 pm

So my poor eggplants are dropping their blossoms... SUggestions? Please.

should I try epsom salts? like you would with tomatoes?
They look healthy in every other way.
Or am I watering them too much? once a day in the morning.
or is it maybe just not hot enough for them?
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Re: Eggplant blossom drop - Help

Postby kittyadventures » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:36 pm

I thought I would update this...not that anyone seemed interested but you never know LOL
anyway

I finally got some actual fruits on my eggplants.

I believe I was facing a two fold issue. First they were in one of the shadier parts in my vegetable garden... so they were not getting really enough sun.

and second tehy needed some nutrients... I fertalized them and they are much happier. I will remember next year that they are heavy feeders.

kittyadventures

Postby Dendra » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:48 pm

I haven't grown eggplant very often so am not that experienced with it. I do know it takes a longer season to grow them than some other veggies. You said they were in the shade, that was likely a big factor. Another might be that the blossoms were not pollinated.

With most tomatoes, which are in the same family as eggplant, blossoms also will drop if it's not warm enough over night. I think that's in the mid 50*F. Perhaps eggplant has a similar warmth requirement. Just a guess.

Add: I was curious and found this: http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/vegetab ... ng-off.htm
Dendra

Postby kittyadventures » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:54 pm

Dendra wrote:I haven't grown eggplant very often so am not that experienced with it. I do know it takes a longer season to grow them than some other veggies. You said they were in the shade, that was likely a big factor. Another might be that the blossoms were not pollinated.

With most tomatoes, which are in the same family as eggplant, blossoms also will drop if it's not warm enough over night. I think that's in the mid 50*F. Perhaps eggplant has a similar warmth requirement. Just a guess.

Hi Dendra yes I think they may need warmer weather and we are in a cooler area... as I live about 30 miles from the Monterey Coast.. and this year was a cooler than normal summer.
I plan on starting them sooner and putting them in the full sun next year which will give them some warmer temperatures.

Or maybe I will just grow the japanese kind next year which LOVE our climate here and produce massive amounts of eggplant here.

kittyadventures

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:39 pm

yeah they love the sun. Mine did really well this year. The best in years. I started them myself using Johnny's seeds and I had the biggest strongest plants. I was having to give away eggplants.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Plumerias » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:46 pm

Sorry kitty, I never saw this one. Question, how did your tomatoes and peppers fare? I ask this because they have similar requirements. Yes, full sun and quite warm. And yes, if the Asian varieties seem to fare better locally, I'd go for that instead of the big ones. They mature more quickly, which sounds like it would be a good thing where you garden. Happy catalog shopping! :-)
Plumerias

Return to Gardening