What veggies are you planning to grow next year?

Share your gardening experiences here

Moderator: JeffN

What veggies are you planning to grow next year?

Postby Dendra » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:38 pm

This past year my garden did pretty well, but when I planted it, I was not following this way of eating. I grew lots of tomatoes, and chile peppers, lettuce, cukes, g beans, zucchini. Towards the fall I planted some oriental greens, and a few peas.

Next year however, I'm really looking forward to the garden more than usual since I'm eating so many more veggies. In particular, I'm anticipating growing sweet corn, potatoes, and more greens. I ordered the appealing spigarello Glenn50 mentioned in another thread.viewtopic.php?f=23&t=25410 Also will plant kale, chard, parsley, and a variety of oriental greens. And most of what I planted this past year too.

I was outside earlier walking the garden and was already thinking about what was going to go where.

Am also thinking of putting in some asparagus for future years, and where to plant the raspberries...

It's going to be a long winter. :?
Dendra

Re: What veggies are you planning to grow next year?

Postby LeeAnne » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:17 pm

Well, that is a good question....I will grow the regular stuff: green beans/tomatoes/corn/potatoes/onions/garlic and more.

But what I really want to try to grow is: peanuts.

Anyone tried this ever??? I know they like warm and a long growing season...because they normally grow them down south. But these were something that I thought I could do here where I live.....or at least try. I'm very curious how they work....
LeeAnne

Postby Dendra » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:49 am

But what I really want to try to grow is: peanuts.

Anyone tried this ever??? I know they like warm and a long growing season...because they normally grow them down south. But these were something that I thought I could do here where I live.....or at least try. I'm very curious how they work....

LOL, me too. I read a bit about that recently and I think it might work here - we get no frost, but we do have low humidity. I was thinking, if I can find seed, to try some in large pots. Not in pots, I fear the gophers might get them. I've never seen any in any local gardens however, but what the heck. :D

I did get 10 raspberries planted into their final home this past week. I decided to do it before it got too wet here so they could really establish over the mild winter.

And I have definitely decided to plant asparagus, if I can get a good variety locally. I have the spot already picked out - it's out of the main garden so prime space won't be sacrificed.
Dendra

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:13 pm

I always like to try a couple new things. The hard part if finding the space. I do like to grow pac choi (baby bok choi), and next year trying cress, sweet potatoes, and maybe tai soi.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Dendra » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:03 pm

Faith in DC wrote:I always like to try a couple new things. The hard part if finding the space. I do like to grow pac choi (baby bok choi), and next year trying cress, sweet potatoes, and maybe tai soi.

I love baby bok choi. I've tried growing cress, but it's too strong for my tastes. I also wanted to try sweet potatoes here, and had cuttings, but accidently let them die. :roll:

I sometimes grow tat soi. Is that what you mean? It's great for a salad green, but for a full-grown vegetable, not as productive as I like. It's very pretty however. Very dark green - I expect it's packed with beneficial phytochemicals.
Dendra

Postby ncyg46 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:21 pm

the only thing I have growing right now is my swiss chard, the rabbits ate my chives, but the plants are regrowing. I have a few puny green peppers that survived the summer here, still have thai basil growing, trimmed the regular basil and am drying it right now and maybe it will regrow. I pulled all the tomato plants this summer, too hot for anything to grow. My pineapple is doing nicely until we get a frost or freeze and then I will plant more greens next year. Tomatoes just don't do that well in Az. Need to replant parsley. I like to be able to cut it fresh and also the basil. Also have rosemary, mexican oregano doing pretty good and the mint that I cut back is regrowing! :D
ncyg46

Postby kittyadventures » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:24 pm

Well My winter garden is almost all planted but for next spring I will be growning potatoes, sweet potatoes, swiss chard, lettuces, bright lights kale which loves the heat, tomaotes of course and bell peppers, pumpkins, and early and late corn, cuccumbers, carrots ( I am trying imperators this time) and bush beans , purple, yellow and blue lakes. also Zuccini.

then when teh summer is almost over i am going to throw in some p[ole beans,

Pole beans never do good here in the spring/summer because we get the fog in in teh mornings and tehy get mosaic deseasee or mold. but this year I threw some in late in the summer and they are going great guns right now. So that is what I will do again next year.

Dendra are you on the California coast and did you plant raspberries or Baba Berries.
I planted baba berries becuase teh raspberries wouldn't grow well here and teh gophers eat their roots.

Baba Berries are a type of hybred raspberry... thye don't need as much frost to produce.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby Dendra » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:52 pm

Dendra are you on the California coast and did you plant raspberries or Baba Berries.
I planted baba berries becuase teh raspberries wouldn't grow well here and teh gophers eat their roots.

Baba Berries are a type of hybred raspberry... thye don't need as much frost to produce.

The raspberries I got were starts from a friend who got them from a commercial field next to her yard. We do not know the variety, but it is very successful in this area. Healthy plants, lots of good-tasting fruits. I planted them where years ago I had put wire mesh to thwart the gophers. It's probably rusted out by now, but hopefully not.

I still have about 10 more starts in pots that I might put in individual wire baskets. And, yes, we have lots of gophers.

I've tried baba berries before, without much luck. My fault - back then I wasn't watering as carefully. Babas are on my list if I buy more this winter at the local nurseries.
Dendra

Postby Pacificfords » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:58 pm

I have a garden space for the first time ever. I have never been able to plant a garden before. I am SO excited, but honestly I am still "learning" and have little idea of what I want to grow except herbs. :) Cucumbers are my favorite so I know I would want those.... and lettuce for sure. I have a big space too, so it is going to be really fun.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:33 pm

Just remember, there is many ways to grow veggies. I use to only have this small bug infested 3ft by 5 ft raised box. If you have flower beds, you can mix in some greens there. Also if you have a deck or patio get some containers.

Then read and play. It's all about trying things out in your area. I always try something 2-3 yrs before I scratch it off the list. Limas was on this year's chopping block because I've had terrible luck with them. Well this year I got a bunch. I changed seeds, not sure if that was the help or maybe they liked where I put them this year. Not that they haven't been there once before.

What is hard about gardening is not going over board LOL.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby kittyadventures » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:57 pm

LOL at not going overboard...

i agree that is the thing I struggle with.

for your first garden pick maybe 5 or six things you really like to eat to grow. Dont try to grow lots of stuff... stick to what you will really like to eat... and work your way up to more crops.

also remember that different varieties of stuff grow better in different areas.

But some all purpose things that I thnk are good pretty much where ever you live are...

straight eight cucumbers these can do good on a trellis or on the ground but they do not like the heat.

imperator Carrots (these are the kind that are turned into those baby carrots at the store) They are long and a mild sweet tasty carrot.

Tomaotes will really depend where you live in the country but you can not go wrong with either sweet 100's or cherry tomatoes... also a good bet is the golden pear tomatoes(another mini). Where I live close to the coast I have to stick to the smaller tomatoes so they get ripe.( i grow ace, early girl, San Francisco fog, and those nice patio tomatoes) We have too much fog and cooler summer days. This is one of those things where you need to ask friends and neighbors what they grow.

A California yolo wonder bell pepper is a good producer as is an italian bell.

IF you live where there is a shorter growing season you could try one of the yellow or orange peppers. they do really well with a shorter season.

Lettuces is a personal preference thing for sure... but remember they are a cool weather crop and if you are in a HOT state you may not be able to grow them well.

Greens are another one of those things that will depend on where you live as to when to plant if you are going to do greens I suggest you try either swiss chard or kale. Both do well in cold or hot weather and you can get some great harvests off of them.

Corn is fun too and I usually do two varieties, an early sweet and a late sweet.

They mature about one month apart that way.

Green beans... Now I usually stick to bush bean varieties but as I mentioned somewhere else i figured out this year I can grow the pole beans if I plant them late in the season like July.

Some good seed companies.. We have ordered online from burpee and gotten great seeds.. but I have noticed when I buy packets in the store it is a 70/30 chance of good or bad results due to the stores storage methods.

I also Like Renee's Seeds.
They are awesome.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Return to Gardening