"More Greens, Less Grains" - Dietary Pitfall

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby blacklobo » Mon May 12, 2008 2:59 pm

Hi Jeff
With all these messages promoting the benefit of Dr. Fuhrman's program on this message board I thought for a moment I was in the wrong space. Has anyone tried putting a pro McDougall message on the Fuhman message board ?
Don
blacklobo

Re

Postby JeffN » Mon May 12, 2008 3:37 pm

blacklobo wrote:Hi Jeff
With all these messages promoting the benefit of Dr. Fuhrman's program on this message board I thought for a moment I was in the wrong space. Has anyone tried putting a pro McDougall message on the Fuhman message board ?
Don

Hi Don,

While I have no problem with anyone following any diet that meets the guidelines and principles of good nutrition (low calorie density, high nutrient density, high satiety) and promotes health, I have yet to see any "evidence" at all (other than hearsay which does not count) that a vegetable based diet that contains 3 - 4 oz of nuts/day has 1) any proven clinical published and peer reviewed evidence of its effectiveness (there are only 2 small studies of 2 weeks and one had no control group), 2) any populations studies where people have lived successfully on such a diet over time (there are none), or 3) evidence that such a diet is healthier and more nutrient dense with all the good things (vitamins, minerals, etc) and less of all the harmful components (sat fat, omega 6, EFA ratio) than a low fat starch based diet (based on unrefined unprocessed high fiber starches).

On the other hand, I have repeatedly posted numerous threads showing all of the opposite.

On a similar note, 2 true stories that "may" relate...

I have practiced meditation since 1973 and used to facilitate meditation groups for many years in the 80s & 90s. Before each class I would read a simple intro which made two points. The first was I would teach and review a simple method I taught. The second, was that anytime anyone found themselves distracted from the simple method, to just return to the simple method. That was it

I would then let everyone know that regardless of how simple this seems that during the next 30 minutes of silent meditation, their mind would constantly fight them and this simple process and bother them with 2 questions.

1) Q, Is this all there is to this?

A. Yes, this is all there is. :) This is one of the simplest but most powerful meditation techniques that there is. Much more is happening then you may think while you are practicing.

2) Q. I must be doing this wrong because my mind keeps wandering.

A. Your wandering mind is normal and typical. This practice is not about “quieting” or “stilling” the mind, it is about awareness and mindfulness of the way things really are, including our wandering mind. The repetitive practice of noticing that your mind has wandered away form the simple method and the consistent practice of returning your attention to the breath IS the practice.

Keep practicing. :)

On another similar note...

A few years back I had a friend who was struggling with an addiction to both alcohol and some hard drugs. He finally went through a treatment center and then got involved in 12 step programs. But, he would constantly go back and forth between AA and NA struggling to find an identity and/or "home" in one or the other. This went on for a year and caused him much distress. Of course, each group try to convince him why he belonged in one and not the other. After about a year, he came to his wits end about this and came to me to tell me how upset he was that even after a year, he still wasn't sure where he belonged, and if he really should be in AA or NA.

I listened carefully, gave him a hug, and then chuckled and said, "Well the best news of all is that you have not used either any drugs or alcohol in a full year! :) And that is the first time you have accomplished that in over 20 years.

Keep practicing! :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Previous

Return to Jeff Novick, RD