Olive oil -saturated fat

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Olive oil -saturated fat

Postby Julia » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:13 pm

Jeff,

I looked again at my notes from your presentation at the ASW about fats - oils and nuts. You said there that olive oil has 14% saturated fat. I was just wondering why the cron-o-meter says it has 7%? (You probably can't believe there is someone who might not get usingthe cron-o-meter :lol: ?

Another question I have is why does the amount of omega 3s in flaxseeds increase so much, according to the cron-o-meter when it is processed into flaxseed oil?

What are effects on the body when the Omega 3 and Omega 6 ratio is thrown out of balance? I can't seem to find a link to that.

Thanks so much for your help - as always.

Julia
Julia

Re: Olive oil -saturated fat

Postby Julia » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:51 pm

Hi Jeff,

I am just bumping this topic up hoping for a reply.

thanks,

Julia
Julia

Re: Olive oil -saturated fat

Postby JeffN » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:19 pm

Julia wrote: you said there that olive oil has 14% saturated fat. I was just wondering why the cron-o-meter says it has 7%?

It doesn't. :)

It actually doesn't list the amount. It has to be calculated. You have to take the grams of saturated fat and multiply them by 9, the amount of calories in a gram of fat. Then, take the resulting number and divide the number of calories by it. The result will be about 14% sat fat.

For example

1 TB of olive oil has 120 calories and 1.9 grams of sat fat.

1.9 x 9 = 17.1 calories from sat fat.

120 calories/17.1 calories from sat fat = 14% calories from sat fat.

Julia wrote: Another question I have is why does the amount of omega 3s in flaxseeds increase so much, according to the cron-o-meter when it is processed into flaxseed oil?

Because flax seed oil is concentrated. All the other components of the flax seed (protein, carb, fiber, etc) have been removed except for the oil so it is concentrated.

Julia wrote: What are effects on the body when the Omega 3 and Omega 6 ratio is thrown out of balance? I can't seem to find a link to that.

The concerns is that it can decrease the bodies ability to convert Omega 3 to EPA and DHA and then you will lose all the associated benefits.

I would not really worry so much about flax seed as it is not required and if used, would be such a minor component of the program.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD