Oxalates...where do they go when steaming greens?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oxalates...where do they go when steaming greens?

Postby mountain » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:06 am

Hello Jeff, I would really appreciate if you could answer this question for me.

I learned that steaming veggies removes/ changes oxalates and since I want to reduce my oxalate intake (kidney stones) I was wondering if I can use the water from steaming to make soup? Or are the oxalates in the water after steaming?

Thanks
mountain

Re: Oxalates...where do they go when steaming greens?

Postby JeffN » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:38 pm

I would recommend first that you read these two threads if you have not already, as not all foods high in oxalate need to be avoided and there are other things that matter too

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18327&p=168792#p168792

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8870&hilit=oxalate

Then, in regard to your question...

Effect of different cooking methods on vegetable oxalate content.
J Agric Food Chem. 2005 Apr 20;53(8):3027-30.

Abstract

Approximately 75% of all kidney stones are composed primarily of calcium oxalate, and hyperoxaluria is a primary risk factor for this disorder. Nine types of raw and cooked vegetables were analyzed for oxalate using an enzymatic method. There was a high proportion of water-soluble oxalate in most of the tested raw vegetables. Boiling markedly reduced soluble oxalate content by 30-87% and was more effective than steaming (5-53%) and baking (used only for potatoes, no oxalate loss). An assessment of the oxalate content of cooking water used for boiling and steaming revealed an approximately 100% recovery of oxalate losses. The losses of insoluble oxalate during cooking varied greatly, ranging from 0 to 74%. Because soluble sources of oxalate appear to be better absorbed than insoluble sources, employing cooking methods that significantly reduce soluble oxalate may be an effective strategy for decreasing oxaluria in individuals predisposed to the development of kidney stones.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Oxalates...where do they go when steaming greens?

Postby mountain » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:55 pm

Hello Jeff,

thanks very much for this information, very helpful. Are you aware of any tests that can be done to find out what kind of stones are present....without passing one?
mountain

Return to Jeff Novick, RD