Sodium for athletes...

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Sodium for athletes...

Postby veggie_balls » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:48 am

I cycle about 200-250 per week and I keep it at high intensity (18-21mph avg rides). I also do a small amount of running, but nothing to really be proud of. My family and I have been no-added-oil, plant based for about 2 years and feeling great! I still have a residual hypertension from the typical western diet, but I feel that it recently got A LOT better since I don't add salt to my dish. I'm getting about 900mg-1,100mg per day.

We follow Novick's advice and don't cook with salt and only add a small amount on the actual plate when eating. I stopped that, but I'm concerned that with all of the cycling I do, I'm not going to get enough sodium. My initial idea was to stay low sodium like I recently did, but eat a little extra salt pre/ post workout... does this sound like it would be advantageous or detrimental? I don't want to cramp up from lack of electrolytes. I do realize that the "electrolyte" thing has been hyped up WAY TOO MUCH recently in pop culture, et al., but I just want to be sure that I'm not going to hurt myself. Any info is greatly appreciated.
For your health and pleasure,

Veggie Balls
veggie_balls

Re: Sodium for athletes...

Postby JeffN » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:59 am

I think you will find your answer in these threads

This one on sodium and athletes

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16465

and this one on fluids and dehydration in athletes

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6149

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Sodium for athletes...

Postby veggie_balls » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:03 am

JeffN wrote:I think you will find your answer in these threads

This one on sodium and athletes

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16465

and this one on fluids and dehydration in athletes

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6149

In Health
Jeff

Thank you, Jeff! I apologize about the redundancy of my question!
For your health and pleasure,

Veggie Balls
veggie_balls

Return to Jeff Novick, RD