% in Healthy Eating Placemat

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

% in Healthy Eating Placemat

Postby spinner » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:10 pm

Hi Jeff,
I have a question about the percents in the healthy eating placemat. It states that you start with a soup/salad and finish with fruit. In the middle is a 50/50 plate with fruits/veggies on one side and tubers/starchy veg/whole grains/legumes on the other.

Are the soup/salad veggies and dessert fruits part of the 50/50 plate, or are they in addition to the 50/50 plate? If they are part of the 50/50 plate, then the entire meal ratio is 50/50. If they are in addition to the 50/50 plate, then the ratio becomes something like 75% (fruits, veggies) and 25% (grains, legumes, tubers, starchy veggies) for the entire meal.

I tend to overdo the tubers/starchy veg/whole grains and would like to be on the healthy path. Thanks!
spinner

Re: % in Healthy Eating Placemat

Postby JeffN » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:21 pm

spinner wrote: Are the soup/salad veggies and dessert fruits part of the 50/50 plate, or are they in addition to the 50/50 plate?

Either/or. :)

These are not rules that have to be mastered but guidelines to help guide you to eating healthier.

You can try both or either and see how it works and adjust accordingly.

spinner wrote: AreI tend to overdo the tubers/starchy veg/whole grains and would like to be on the healthy path. Thanks!

I am not sure what "overdo" means.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby spinner » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your answer. By "overdo" I mean that sometimes the % of whole grains, etc. is more like 75% and fruits/veggies 25%. I have to watch this... it's too easy to have a large baked potato with a small amount of broccoli, and no other veggies or fruit.
spinner

Postby JeffN » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:36 pm

spinner wrote:Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your answer. By "overdo" I mean that sometimes the % of whole grains, etc. is more like 75% and fruits/veggies 25%. I have to watch this... it's too easy to have a large baked potato with a small amount of broccoli, and no other veggies or fruit.

Thanks.

So, "overdo" in relation the general picture and guidelines.

However, as long as you are achieving and/or maintaining your health goals, then that would not be "overdoing" it.

If you were not, then shifting more to the 50/50 and/or including a soup and/or salad before meals, might be helpful.

We all have to adjust the guidelines as needed.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD