Meal sequencing

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Meal sequencing

Postby Ales » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:19 pm

I have a question about meal sequencing. As I understand this calorie density principle, I should start my meals with foods lower in calorie density (vegetables) and end with the more calorie dense foods (starches). I try to make a habit to eat some (aprox. 1 pound) of steamed greens before each meal and this works quite well to fill me up before eating starches. This is for weekends. For work days I would also like to eat greens before breakfast, but I can't steam them at work. So my question is, would this also have the desired effect (which is reducing overal calorie density) if I eat my steamed vegetables before going to work, and then eat my oatmeal aprox. 2,5 - 3 hours later?

Thank you
Ales

Re: Meal sequencing

Postby JeffN » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:30 pm

Ales wrote:I have a question about meal sequencing. As I understand this calorie density principle, I should start my meals with foods lower in calorie density (vegetables) and end with the more calorie dense foods (starches). I try to make a habit to eat some (aprox. 1 pound) of steamed greens before each meal and this works quite well to fill me up before eating starches. This is for weekends. For work days I would also like to eat greens before breakfast, but I can't steam them at work. So my question is, would this also have the desired effect (which is reducing overal calorie density) if I eat my steamed vegetables before going to work, and then eat my oatmeal aprox. 2,5 - 3 hours later?

Thank you

Focus on the bigger picture and the main principles and guidelines of calorie density, which are guidelines to help you eat better. What matter most is the overall calorie density of the diet and the meals. Without complicating it in any manner, it works, though sometimes, minor adjustments are necessary.

The principle of sequencing meals, applies at a meal, not over time.

Eating pounds of greens before every meals is not necessary, nor is it required to properly apply the principles and fully benefit from them.

While vegetables may be very "filling" in one sense, they do not provide the highest overall "satiety" on their own. To achieve that, follow my guidelines, especially the 50/50 guidelines as outlined here..

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37450

We are in this for the long haul. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD