chef aj's weight loss

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

chef aj's weight loss

Postby dteresa » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:44 pm

Jeff, I can understand how chef aj lost weight by eliminating nuts. And how she lost more weight by cutting out avocado and tahini. And how she lost the last six pounds by a more strenuous exercise program complete with trainer. What I can't figure out is how she lost more and maintains her weight now by switching from fruits and vegetables to lots of grains. Although not as calorie dense as animal foods and those nuts, seeds and avocados, grains are more calorie dense than fruits and vegetables on the scale you discussed. So it seems logical to me that eating four cups or more of rice per meal is more calorie dense than fruits and vegetables. Especially if you limit fruits and eat just vegetables. What am I missing?

When I add more than a potato or half cup of cooked rice or more than 2/3 cup of oatmeal per meal, the scale always shows a weight gain and I think this is because of stored glycogen and the additional stored water. I do not know what would happen if I ate four cups of rice at a time per meal. That would be way over the calories I am eating now. Does this mean if I did this I would have to drastically cut back on the lower calorie density fruits and vegetables?

didi
dteresa

Re: chef aj's weight loss

Postby JeffN » Fri May 09, 2014 6:08 pm

Here you go...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=42701

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD