Losing too quickly? Diet Urban Legend?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Losing too quickly? Diet Urban Legend?

Postby smudgemom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:34 am

Like many people, I broke my "diet teeth" with the analogy "if you lose weight slowly, you'll keep it off". In the past, I would lose 10-30 pounds quickly on a focused diet...and keep it it off...but would gain it back over a 5-8 yr period...a yoyo, but a very slow yoyo. I currently have 50 lbs to lose...and the thought of a yr/half-yr of losing it slowly is discouraging. I'm consuming roughly 2500-3000 daily to maintain that 50lb. I've recently completed "test days"...and I'm stuffed eating this way, but only consuming 1200-1500 calories. I could get used to this...and predict the weight would fall off...Yay!

If I lose weight @ a gradient (QUICKLY @ first, slower nearing my goal weight), am I setting myself up for failure? I would think it's more detrimental to have the extra weight versus quick losing.

IknowIknow...I should just "do it" but I'm an over-analyzer. It's much like taking a band-aid off...slow inconvenience (12 mths) or a quick 'ouch' (6 mths or less)?

Is there a scientific reason to go slow (1-2 lb a week), or is this just Diet Urban Legend?
smudgemom

Re: Losing too quickly? Diet Urban Legend?

Postby JeffN » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:48 am

smudgemom wrote:Like many people, I broke my "diet teeth" with the analogy "if you lose weight slowly, you'll keep it off". In the past, I would lose 10-30 pounds quickly on a focused diet...and keep it it off...but would gain it back over a 5-8 yr period...a yoyo, but a very slow yoyo. I currently have 50 lbs to lose...and the thought of a yr/half-yr of losing it slowly is discouraging. I'm consuming roughly 2500-3000 daily to maintain that 50lb. I've recently completed "test days"...and I'm stuffed eating this way, but only consuming 1200-1500 calories. I could get used to this...and predict the weight would fall off...Yay!

If I lose weight @ a gradient (QUICKLY @ first, slower nearing my goal weight), am I setting myself up for failure? I would think it's more detrimental to have the extra weight versus quick losing.

Is there a scientific reason to go slow (1-2 lb a week), or is this just Diet Urban Legend?

The maintenance of any weight loss, especially any substantial weight loss, is difficult because it usually involves a complete change in ones way of life.

Most of the time, very rapid weight loss is associated with "crash dieting" which is often nothing more than a short term quick fix to the problem, so does not result in any lifestyle change, nor is the weight loss usually maintained. In addition, rapid weight loss is also often associated with a drastic reduction in calories, which typically means a drastic reduction in the amount/weight/volume of food, through portion control, which is also extremely difficult for most people to maintain. Such very low calorie diets are also usually low in nutrients.

Under fasting conditions, from the director of TrueNorth, Dr. Alan Goldhamer...

"weight loss averages 1 pound per day with water-only fasting. More the first week, less later but overall average is one pound per day. Weight loss in overweight people is more, sometimes double and thin people less, as little as 2 pounds per week late into fasting."

The best and safest and healthiest way to lose and manage weight is to follow the principles of calorie density, adjusting as recommended.

For most people, they will lose "on average" about 1% of their weight per week.

You may lose a little more in the beginning (as may those who are heavier), and you may lose a little less as you get closer to reaching your goal weight (as may those who are thinner).

Large younger men seem to lose faster and smaller older women seem to lose slower.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD