Salt and iodine

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Salt and iodine

Postby Pandit » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:32 am

Hi jeff.

A couple of weeks ago i found the taste of the rice to be extra good. As it turns out it was because i was adding ~10g of salt every day in it. I stopped adding salt and after that i started adding whole grain bread ( my homemade white bread doesn't agree with me ) from the store to the diet ( for taste ).

Today i checked the label, i'm getting 4g of salt from the 250g of bread i eat daily, is this too much ?

I heard that people in thailand average 7g of salt every day and i haven't noticed any other change ( only taste ) when i was eating 10g.

LE : found something on google :
Based on the hospital's long-running study of 2,500 employees of the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (Egat) over the past few decades, the average daily salt consumption (sodium chloride) among the local population is estimated to have risen from 6-7 grams per day to the current 10-12 grams.

According to Professor Piyamitr, the recommended salt intake is only six grams per day.

Thailand's problem is now similar to that of the UK and the US. In the UK, the average salt consumption has also jumped over the same period from around 7 grams per day to 10-12 grams, prompting health authorities to embark on an aggressive campaign to educate the public on this issue.

So is 4g too much ?

Also heard that iodized salt need to be eaten on top of the food to get the iodine, not used when cooking, any truth here ?

Cheers.
Pandit

Re: Salt and iodine

Postby Pandit » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:57 am

I switched to a non whole-wheat bread ( rye one ) because of the salt but i would still like an answer if possible.

Cheers.
Pandit

Postby JeffN » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:53 am

I recommend you follow the recommended guidelines for sodium intake.

Total sodium intake should not exceed 1500 mgs/day and the Tolerable Upper Limit is set at 2300 mg/day.

jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/Entries/2013/10/3_The_Truth_About_Sodium_Intake_Levels.html

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Pandit » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:31 pm

thanks.
Pandit

Return to Jeff Novick, RD