Re: Free Downloadable "How to Read a Food Label" Guide

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby brec » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:31 am

Re: the label reading guide which is pointed to in Jeff's thread

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=59267&p=596760&#p596760

Another rule of thumb I find useful is to get an idea of calorie density by comparing calories with grams per serving. Calories per pound is the metric Jeff uses in discussing calorie density. 1 calorie per gram is 454 calories per pound; 2 calories per gram is 907 calories per pound, etc.

Question:

The Guide calls for less than 20% of calories from fat. Is my memory failing me, or has less than 10% been recommended by Drs. McDougall and Esselstyn (or maybe only the latter?)?
brec

Postby JeffN » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:51 am

brec wrote: Another rule of thumb I find useful is to get an idea of calorie density by comparing calories with grams per serving.

While it sounds good, I do not recommend it.

The reason is, calorie density applies to the food, as consumed.

Many 100% perfectly acceptable and excellent foods, fail it in the form they are sold in the package. For instance, all dry whole grains and beans (brown rice, oats, dry peas, beans, lentils, whole grain pasta, etc), that are not yet cooked, fail it as their calorie density appears to be about 3x what it is in the cooked form, as consumed. They appear to be high in calorie density when in fact, they are not.

In addition, many foods that appear to have lower calorie density, are not approved, including yogurts, smoothies and most all liquid calories,

brec wrote: The Guide calls for less than 20% of calories from fat. Is my memory failing me, or has less than 10% been recommended by Drs. McDougall and Esselstyn (or maybe only the latter?)?

Not exactly. As I explain in all my presentations and writings, the "no more than" 20% is only an upper allowance for packaged products, which should be a small part of your diet, and not a dietary recommendations. The overall diet will still be one low in fat.

In addition, as I explained in the thread on FB this morning, "These guidelines are for packaged products which, outside my "Ten Healthiest Packaged Products," should only be a small part of ones diet. The majority (75-90% or more) of ones calories should come from a variety of unprocessed &/or minimally processed fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, intact whole grains & legumes without any added salt/sodium, oil/fat & sugars/sweeteners."

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD