Vegan Mayo Recipe

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vegan Mayo Recipe

Postby Tom Dylan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi Jeff,

I've tried several different vegan mayo recipes, all tofu based, but none of them appeal to me.

My wife and I used Nasoya Fat Free Vegan mayo, but the product was discontinued in favor of a new light version. Their new light version is delicious, but doesn't meet your guidelines. It is quite frustrating; I love mayo, and find myself breaking the rules to get my mayo fix. Although in my defense I do use it as a condiment! :lol:

Do you have a personal favorite vegan mayo recipe? Is there any trick to getting a creamier texture?
Tom Dylan
Tom Dylan

Re: Vegan Mayo Recipe

Postby JeffN » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:56 pm

Tom Dylan wrote:Do you have a personal favorite vegan mayo recipe? Is there any trick to getting a creamier texture?

I am personally glad to see it gone. Now the debate is over, the product is not acceptable. ;)

Many moons ago, I did have a recipe and made it occasionally for a recipe or two.

I do not have the recipe handy or remember it exactly but it was based on the base being some mixture (maybe 50/50 or 70/30) of cooled cooked potato (either white, gold, sweet or some combo) and some beans (either white, cannellini or butter or some combo) that would be about 1 to 1.5 cups. I do not remember exactly, but I do remember some combo of cooled potato and beans getting to the right consistency. I am not sure the white potato worked as well as the gold.

Then, the spices were something like some lemon juice (~1-2 tbsp), some Westbrae no salt added mustard (1/2 to 1 tsp), and maybe some garlic and/or onion powder.

If it helps, look at a basic mayo recipe and you may get a better feel for the quantities of the above.

If it comes out, let me know.

If I find my other recipe, I will let you know. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:54 pm

JeffN wrote:If I find my other recipe, I will let you know. :)

Well, you just never know what the day will bring.

I was searching for a post on hummus and found the basic recipe I used for both hummus and for a basic "creamy" salad dressing, which is what I adapted to make the mayo recipe from.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8765#p64499

Either one can be adapted to make into a mayo recipe with some minor adjustments.

We actually use the creamy dressing recipe not only on salads but also as a dip for the chubby chips and the baked fries. I love it with a little of the no salt added Westbrae mustard added in.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby dstewart » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:40 pm

dstewart

Return to Jeff Novick, RD