Eden Foods Canned Beans Update: Please Read & Take Action!

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Eden Foods Canned Beans Update: Please Read & Take Action!

Postby JeffN » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:09 am

One year ago, I discovered that Eden Foods canned beans may contain potentially toxic levels of iodine. After a lack of response from Eden, I had Whole Foods speak to them, but to no avail.

I recently asked Dr Greger to see if he could get a response but he had not success either. Perhaps if we all contact them, they will respond appropriately. Their contact info is at the bottom of Dr Greger's blog.

Thanks Dr Greger for your help with this.

http://nutritionfacts.org/blog/

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Eden Foods Canned Beans Update: Please Read & Take Actio

Postby rickfm » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:56 am

Would it be possible to get some independent analysis from a sample of their products?

Seems like it might make for a good project for some university chemistry students.
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby JeffN » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Eden Foods has responded and it looks like they are going to get the issue resolved in the next 2 weeks. You can read their response & my response to it, at their FB page below. Thanks everyone for contacting them!

https://www.facebook.com/edenfoods

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby chewy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:14 pm

thanks for keeping us updated on this! would frozen organic green peas be a good nutrient dense replacement for SNAP meals?i love them and they are even more convenient than canned beans-no opener required-just tear open!
chewy

Postby JeffN » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:24 pm

chewy wrote: thanks for keeping us updated on this!

You are welcome.

chewy wrote: would frozen organic green peas be a good nutrient dense replacement for SNAP meals?

I do not ask you to choose foods based on nutrient density but based on calorie density. SNAP meals are based on a template and any legume can be substituted for any other legume, and any whole grain can be substituted for any other whole grain, etc.

chewy wrote: i love them and they are even more convenient than canned beans-no opener required-just tear open!

Beans are a legume and peas are a starchy veggie so they are 2 different food groups.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:11 pm

Eden Foods has completed their independent analysis of their beans & sent me all the data. Their beans are safe & do not contain excessive amts of Iodine. The average is 48.4 mcg per 1/2 cup serving which is well below the RDA & nothing to be concerned about. Please let them know how much we appreciate their efforts in this & while you are at it, pick up a few cases of their beans. I know I will!

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Spiral » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:06 pm

JeffN wrote:Eden Foods has completed their independent analysis of their beans & sent me all the data. Their beans are safe & do not contain excessive amts of Iodine. The average is 48.4 mcg per 1/2 cup serving which is well below the RDA & nothing to be concerned about. Please let them know how much we appreciate their efforts in this & while you are at it, pick up a few cases of their beans. I know I will!

In Health
Jeff

Jeff, obviously you are convinced that the analysis was truly independent. May I ask how this independence was established? How were the investigators free of the influence of Eden Foods, even as they were analyzing a product of Eden Foods?
Spiral

Postby JeffN » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:08 pm

They hired an independent lab as all food companies do. They did not use their own internal lab but went to an independent lab. They sent me the complete reports.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Spiral » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:40 pm

JeffN wrote:They hired an independent lab as all food companies do. They did not use their own internal lab but went to an independent lab. They sent me the complete reports.

In Health
Jeff

Great. That's the answer I was hoping for. I have been buying the Whole Foods brand of beans, the 365 brand. But now I feel comfortable buying Eden Foods beans.

Thanks for the explanation.
Spiral

Postby hastings » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:04 pm

Jeff - Thanks so much for all your follow-up on this. I've been keeping an eye on this saga, and had been avoiding Eden beans. So glad it's clarified now and safe.

Are the test results based on draining the beans? Does it really matter? Do you have a recommendation in that regard?
hastings

Return to Jeff Novick, RD