Anti-inflamatory Effects and Potatoes

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Anti-inflamatory Effects and Potatoes

Postby rickfm » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:42 pm

Jeff,

I came across this video (it's only 2:45 in length), by a Dr. Greger of NutritionFacts.org, describing some studies of the effects of potatoes on inflammation and antioxidant capacity. It makes purple potatoes look amazing while casting regular potatoes as actually having some negative effects.

I'd appreciate it if you you'd comment on this.
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Re: Anti-inflamatory Effects and Potatoes

Postby JeffN » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:16 pm

rickfm wrote:Jeff,

I came across this video (it's only 2:45 in length), by a Dr. Greger of NutritionFacts.org, describing some studies of the effects of potatoes on inflammation and antioxidant capacity. It makes purple potatoes look amazing while casting regular potatoes as actually having some negative effects.

I'd appreciate it if you you'd comment on this.

The video series is an excellent service but the information must be put into proper context. Focusing on the effects of isolated foods on isolated markers does not always help us.

What markers of inflammation where used? How where they measured? What was the health status of the subjects and what was their diet and lifestyle at the time of testing?

(BTW, these are rhetorical questions that I know the answer to but am stating them for you to think about because without you knowing the answers to these questions, the results of the study are meaningless to you and unless the person reporting the results explains all of this and puts it all into proper context, than their story is also meaningless to you)

For instance, these days we hear a lot about nutrient density and the value of many foods over many other foods based on their nutrient density scores. Yet, how were these scores attained? What values were used? How were they applied? No one asks this but they literally go "nuts" over these scores picking only certain foods over certain other foods and creating whole diets based on the scoring system.

Then we find out the scoring system is flawed.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=15068&p=294604&hilit=jeff+orac#p294604

Then we hear that you can's absorb the nutrients in raw veggies unless you pour oil all over them or eat them with fat like nuts and seeds.

Then we find out that this information is being taken out of context...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30165

...or that you can just eat starches which have one of the highest absorption rates...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27515&p=274666

This is why ALL information like this, whether it is looking at inflammation, nutrient density, etc, that is not put into proper context, only fuels the mindset of "super foods" and trying to create some ultimate "ticket to heaven" diet. So, red cabbage is better than white cabbage because of antioxidants and this bean is better than that bean because of nutrient density.

However, we have to look at the overall dietary pattern to see whether it is inflammatory or not, or nutrient dense or not and not just look at any one individual food in the diet.

It is the same with acid/alkaline. Yes, some foods, like some grains and some beans may be slightly acidic but that does not mean you can't eat them. You have to look at the overall acid/alkaline of the whole diet.

Same with saturated fat, sodium, omega 6/3 ratio, etc. One food may be way over the guidelines but what is the overall dietary pattern. I may have a food that has a sodium/calorie ratio of 6/1 but what is the sodium/calorie ratio of the overall diet.

This program, which includes white and yellow potatoes, is highly anti inflammatory.

Everything has to be put into context and proper perspective.

As David Katz, MD said, "anyone telling you anything different is either 'misguided, selling something or both'."

I think this article will help explain my point further..

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30387

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby rickfm » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks for that excellent reply, Jeff. Puts my mind back at ease about my beloved white potatoes.

I actually prefer the taste and texture of white/russet potatoes over the others. I only grab a sweet potato now and then because "I know they're good for me" and I do want to get a little variety. If I ever get around to visiting an Asian market I may look for some of those purple ones just to try them out.
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby Wild4Stars » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:30 am

I have seen the small, baby purple potatoes in the store and been tempted to try them, they just look so odd. They're also a bit pricey. But I think I'm going to buy a bag and try them. A little variety never hurt anyone and I acutally have not yet met a potato I didn't like!
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby Burgess » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:51 am

I had many inflammation problems: arthritis, bursitis, tendonitis, dermatitis, iritis, and colitis.
http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com/2007/ ... ation.html

I got rid of them by developing a diet that now includes about 25 lbs. of potatoes per week. So, I doubt that potatoes are "inflammatory," at least if eaten along with vegetables and fruits.

Here is what I eat now: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com/2010/ ... i-eat.html
Burgess Laughlin, Star McDougaller
My books: http://www.reasonversusmysticism.com
My health weblog: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com
Burgess

Return to Jeff Novick, RD