Dulse

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Dulse

Postby didi » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:30 am

I was concerned about the amount of fluoride in dulse which I wanted to use as a source of iodine because it contains very little sodium. It is harvested from sea weed. While I went on the site of the Maine Coast product dulse, I discovered that it contains twice the amount of lead in ppm that is allowable for children. I do not know what the adult limit is. You just can't win.

Unlike most on this group, I eat a couple of ounces of wild caught canned sockeye salmon a couple of times a week. I seem to remember when I was young and in school, we learned that people got goiters in areas where there was no seafood consumed. I remember people with goiters when I was young and I assume that was well before mandatory addition of iodine to salt. However I would rather eat as little salt as possible because I found my blood pressure does stay low if I do not eat salt. I eat a little salmon and often if I make 12 quarts of soup in my largest soup pot, I add about two ounces of rinsed off canned clams to the pot and the pot of soup lasts me almost all week. I do not personally think that is excessive. That would make about 0.3 ounces of clams per day.

Didi
didi

Re: Dulse

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:34 am

didi wrote:I seem to remember when I was young and in school, we learned that people got goiters in areas where there was no seafood consumed. I remember people with goiters when I was young and I assume that was well before mandatory addition of iodine to salt. However I would rather eat as little salt as possible because I found my blood pressure does stay low if I do not eat salt.

You really don't have to worry about iodine on a plant-based diet.

Food Sources of Iodine:
    Asparagus
    Dulse
    Garlic
    Kelp
    Lima beans
    Mushrooms
    Seafood
    Sea salt and fortified salt
    Seaweed
    Sesame seeds
    Soybeans
    Spinach
    Summer squash
    Swiss chard
    Turnip greens

So no reason to eat fish. :)
Last edited by ETeSelle on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby victw » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:50 am

You might want to check out these threads.

Thyroid (Iodine)
viewtopic.php?t=5618
viewtopic.php?t=6774
viewtopic.php?t=7362
viewtopic.php?t=7768

Since there was no question in your post - I'm not sure what the point was.

Fish is not considered appropriate on the McDougall diet.
http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_hot_protein.html

ETeSelle - your link didn't work for me.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Removed the link. It was an old one (pulled the whole thing off one of my older posts), so I guess it doesn't work. But iodine IS in all those things.

Anyhoo, as Dr. McD and Jeff say: If you eat sufficient calories to maintain a healthy weight, you will be taking in sufficient vitamins and minerals--B12 and D aside. D comes from sunlight and B12 needs to come from a supplement for vegans (due to our no longer getting that from soil). :)
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Spiral » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:41 pm

ETeSelle,

So, you don't take a kelp pill or any other kind of iodine supplement?

I have been concerned about my iodine consumption because I eat a lot of broccoli and cauliflower, both of which can contribute to goiter.

Today I purchase some iodized salt and I will be adding a 1/4 teaspoon each day to counter balance all of the broccoli and cauliflower I eat.

From your comments, I don't need to do that. Interesting......
Spiral

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:47 pm

No reason to take an iodine supplement. Just eat a wide range of veggies, choosing some from list above. You'll be fine.
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby victw » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:40 pm

Actually ETeSelle in the discussions mentioned above it is implied that the iodine requirements would be met through table salt that has been iodized. Particularly because the amount of iodine in veggies is dependent upon the soil - if the soil is deficient the veggie won't have the iodine.

I did find them a little confusing to follow. But in this case I'm not sure the requirement is met from veggies alone.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Spiral » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:49 pm

The iodine issue is, in my opinion, one of the more confusing issues that we have to deal with under the McDougall plan.

On the one hand, we have learned that it is European vegans, not American vegans, who have been historically more "at risk."

On the other hand, we know that many of the foods we enjoy, like broccoli, can contribute to goiter and that goiter might not be noticed until much damage to the body is done.

It's a tough one.

I do eat some processed food, such as mustard and salsa, which I put on my baked potatoes sometimes. And I put soy sauce on my rice and broccoli. But although those foods have salt in them, it is not clear if this salt is iodized.

I'm really in the dark when it comes to whether I am getting sufficient iodine in my diet. :shock:
Spiral

Return to Jeff Novick, RD