A List of Safe Restaurants

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: A List of Safe Restaurants

Postby Tom Dylan » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:31 pm

Greetings!

I had a family function this holiday that turned out much better than expected. It seems appropriate to share it here.

We meet at the Golden Corral for a family get together. In my area (North Carolina), this is a food bar experience. My expectations were not high. I had resigned myself to a baked potato and salad with my own dressing.

Fortunately, I spoke with the manager, and he offered to accomodate my wife and me in any way possible. The result? We got specially prepared green beans (without the meat seasoning), carrots (no butter), and two ears of corn on the cob each. Of course, we also loaded up on salad. There were more great choices than I had imagined, and I topped it off with some slivered almonds and sesame seeds (a holiday indulgence!).

In the end, my wife and I ate more food than everyone else. There were a lot of friendly inquiries--many in the family hadn't seen me since I lost 60lbs. (My wife has lost about 20lbs, but wasn't obese like me). So I got to share my testimony, and they got to see first hand that the McDougall Diet is not about deprivation.

So I guess it pays to ask! Overall, a great experience!

Sincerely,

Tom
Tom Dylan
Tom Dylan

Postby pinkrose » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:39 pm

Tom Dylan wrote:Greetings!

I had a family function this holiday that turned out much better than expected. It seems appropriate to share it here.

We meet at the Golden Corral for a family get together. In my area (North Carolina), this is a food bar experience. My expectations were not high. I had resigned myself to a baked potato and salad with my own dressing.

Fortunately, I spoke with the manager, and he offered to accomodate my wife and me in any way possible. The result? We got specially prepared green beans (without the meat seasoning), carrots (no butter), and two ears of corn on the cob each. Of course, we also loaded up on salad. There were more great choices than I had imagined, and I topped it off with some slivered almonds and sesame seeds (a holiday indulgence!).

In the end, my wife and I ate more food than everyone else. There were a lot of friendly inquiries--many in the family hadn't seen me since I lost 60lbs. (My wife has lost about 20lbs, but wasn't obese like me). So I got to share my testimony, and they got to see first hand that the McDougall Diet is not about deprivation.

So I guess it pays to ask! Overall, a great experience!

Sincerely,

Tom

Thanks for sharing this, Tom!
I am glad you have found a restaurant that will accommodate you!

As we say in China: "Where there is a will, there is a way." :nod:
pinkrose

Postby frozenveg » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:56 am

HealthE1 wrote:I had mentioned in an earlier post that QDoba's wasn't all that oily. Well, I was there a couple months ago and ordered exactly the same foods as before. I couldn't even eat it because it was laden with oil. Perhaps it always was; but now my taste buds have changed so much that I can't stand to even get oil on my lips.

I ate at a Qdoba just a few weeks ago and the beans were not oily at all. The rice was, so I didn't get any. I think you need to look at everything, every time, everywhere you go, and make your judgement based on what's there. We don't have many choices in Alaska, so I really have to have a very "on the spot" attitude AND also be ready to go hungry gracefully if there is nothing for me.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby f1jim » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:00 am

frozenveg let us know if you have trouble eating in Santa Rosa. I hear the food is acceptable there! If you need it we can rush you something to tide you over.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby frozenveg » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:15 am

f1jim wrote:frozenveg let us know if you have trouble eating in Santa Rosa. I hear the food is acceptable there! If you need it we can rush you something to tide you over.
f1jim

All right, you made me laugh this morning! I needed that! (Only 12 more days!! getting nervous and excited!)
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby JeffN » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:01 pm

The McDougall team has just put together a handout on acceptable restaurants in the Santa Rosa area.

McDougall-Approved Restaurants
* indicates the restaurant has a separate McDougall Menu.

In some you will have to ask for food that follows McDougall guidelines – basically no oil. All will be happy to oblige.

Amy’s Drive Thru - American Fast Food - 58 Golf Course Drive W, Rohnert Park (707) 755-3629
**unfortunately, the only things without oil on the menu are the salads

East West Restaurant – International – 557 Summerfield Rd, Santa Rosa (707) 546-6142

*El Patio – Mexican – 901 4th St, Santa Rosa (707) 571-2222

*El Rancho - Mexican - 1451 Southwest Blvd, Ste 106, Rohnert Park (707) 795-8537

*Flamingo Hotel – 2777 Fourth St, Santa Rosa (707) 545-8530

Gaia’s Garden - International Buffet - 1899 Mendocino Ave, Santa Rosa (707) 544-2491

*Gary Chu’s – Chinese – 661 5th St, Santa Rosa (707) 526-5840

High Tech Burrito – Mexican – 909 Village Ct, Santa Rosa (707) 284-3791

Osake – Japanese – 2446 Patio Ct, Santa Rosa (707) 542-8282

Redwood Cafe - American (10% off any vegan meal on “Meatless Monday”)
8240 Redwood Hwy, Cotati (707) 795-7868

Sea Thai Bistro – Thai – 2350 Midway Dr, Santa Rosa (707) 528-8333

Seed to Leaf Organics - Juicery and Cafe - 25 Courthouse Square, Santa Rosa (707) 978-4043

*Slice of Life - Pizza & Classic Comfort - 6790 Mckinley Ave, Sebastopol (707) 829-6627

Small World Café – Mediterranean – 932 Coombs St, Napa (707) 224-7743

*Su Casa – Mexican – 108 Calistoga Rd, Santa Rosa (707) 538-7937

Sweet Scoops Ice Cream - Vegan Options - 408 1st St E, Sonoma (707) 721-1187

Thai Time - 402 Mendocino Ave, Santa Rosa (707) 526-7777

If you know of any others, especially ones that have McDougall menu's, please let me know via PM

Enjoy
In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Previous

Return to Jeff Novick, RD