Are blenders and food processors bad for your food?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Are blenders and food processors bad for your food?

Postby jamietwo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:28 pm

Jeff,

This is a quote from page 268 of The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook: "When whole fruit or vegetables are processed in a juicer, all of the nutrients are retained, but slicing a thousand times with a steel blade adversely affects their physical properties.". What exactly does this mean? I would have thought it was the other way around since juice isn't a "whole food". I have a green smoothie every day (1 cup water, 1 orange, 1 banana, then fill blender with kale or spinach or collards, etc) - how much of a negative is this? What about pureed soups, etc?

Thanks,
Jamie
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Adrienne » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:46 pm

Here is a previous discussion on blending that may be helpful

http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9750
Adrienne

Postby JeffN » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:07 pm

Adrienne wrote:Here is a previous discussion on blending that may be helpful

http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9750

Thanks!!

And one more..

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7907

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby jamietwo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:43 pm

Thanks. I couldn't figure out how to do a search on that one. :) I think I'll be ok with my green smoothie as part of my breakfast. My blender isn't so good that I don't still have to chew it! :-P
Jamie
jamietwo

Re: Are blenders and food processors bad for your food?

Postby Jaggu » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:01 am

jamietwo wrote:Jeff,

This is a quote from page 268 of The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook: "When whole fruit or vegetables are processed in a juicer, all of the nutrients are retained, but slicing a thousand times with a steel blade adversely affects their physical properties.". What exactly does this mean? Thanks,
Jamie

Hi Jeff,

I have reviewed cooking/Blending thread but could not find any more info on how slicing a thousand times with steel blade adversely affects their physical properties. When I make Salad, we do have to slice various vegetables such as tomatoes, Spinach, cauliflower, Lettuce, cucumber, carrots etc.
Jaggu

Postby Jaggu » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:56 am

Carroll wrote:
I've noticed my kids really enjoy finely chopped salads... I've even chopped them in the blender. When finely diced you get so much flavor because you get a bit of everything in every bite you don't even think about dressings.

I have experienced the same, finely chopped salad tastes better., juicy and there is no need of dressing to lubricate it.

I would like to hear from Jeff, if there is any nutrition loss and logic when you finely chop them.
Jaggu

Postby JeffN » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:32 am

Hi Jaggu

Jaggu wrote:When I make Salad, we do have to slice various vegetables such as tomatoes, Spinach, cauliflower, Lettuce, cucumber, carrots etc.

I think we are discussing three different things here,

1) chewing

2) blending as done by a blender

3) slicing (or chopping) of food with a kitchen knife.

I agree that the slicing (or chopping) of some food and mixing them before eating them, such as in a salad, can mix the flavors together and may even reduce the need for a dressing of any kind. I do not think this was the original concern here, nor I am concerned with it.

However, I do think the concern here, at least the one I have tried to point out, is not the slicing/chopping of some food with a knife but the regular consumption of blended foods, as blended by a blender and its impact if any.

I thought Jan said it best in the first link above when she said..

hope101 wrote:You only have to look at your own stool after eating corn to see the difference between the capacity of the teeth to break down food vs that of a blender. Our bodies were just not designed with the capabilities of a l HP machine.

I agree. :)

Jaggu wrote:I have reviewed cooking/Blending thread but could not find any more info on how slicing a thousand times with steel blade adversely affects their physical properties.

If you refer back to the first link posted, I made the following comments..

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9750

"...there are degrees of influence of the grinding process and the less the better. The reason is, the more you grind up food, the more of the surface area you expose, the quicker it is absorbed the more likely it can effect blood sugar and insulin and the more of it you can consume.

Therefore:

--the less blending, processing, etc we do and the more we get to use out teeth and facial muscles in chewing, the better. Chewing is an important part of the digestive process which can not be replaces by a blender. :)

--In addition, if someone was watching their blood sugars, or their triglycerides, I would rather see them consume their fruits/foods more whole and less blended/processed.

-- Studies have shown that people can eat more when their food is blended up (ie smoothie), so if someone was trying to lose weight, consuming the whole food would be better."

Also from another link

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5822

The more you grind up the food, the more surface area you expose and the quicker it is absorbed and the larger potential impact on blood sugar and the quicker it leaves your stomach and the less filling it is. In addition, the ground up fiber does not work as well in helping control blood sugar and contributing to a sense of fullness.

Perhaps you are familiar with the graph Dr McD shows of the classic experiment comparing apples, to apple sauce to apple juice in relation to blood sugar and absorption, which highlights this point.

In addition, the more you slice, chop or blend food, the more you expose it to air, and the greater potential for oxidation and the loss of some nutrients, though the loss would be minimal if the consumption of the food is done fairly quickly after the blending.

We all are familiar with this process and have seen it in action. If you take an apple (or any fruit or veggie) and leave some of it whole, slice some of it, chop some of it, dice some of it, and then blend some of it, the more we have sliced, chopped, diced and/or blended, the quicker we will see the oxidation of that food (browning, or discoloring).

I hope this helps and has now answered your questions.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Jaggu » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:11 pm

JeffN wrote:Hi Jaggu

I hope this helps and has now answered your questions.

In Health
Jeff

Yes, it has. Thanks !!!
Jaggu

Return to Jeff Novick, RD