New way of eating - one day at a time

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

New way of eating - one day at a time

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:41 am

I am 7 days into this new way of eating (which is really an old way of eating), and I wanted to start a thread.

For all of my 46 yrs I have struggled with weight. I have carried my weight well and just have come to terms with it never trying any real effort to change.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes over 4 years ago, which for the most part is unmanaged. I hate taking pills and have lived in denial. Now I am to take insulin at night. I weighed 283 at the time and was told several times before and at the time that losing weight was the best option.

My start weight last week was 260. My goal is 185. Just being under 200 would be awesome. Being off the needle and the pills is another goal.

I am still reading and learning, but so far I am feeling great. I do not miss the meat, dairy and oils yet. I am sure I will, but so far I really like how I feel.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Re: New way of eating - one day at a time

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:07 pm

I think this should have been in the journals section, maybe a mod will move it.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:40 am

Today's weigh in: 255. Morning Blood Sugar: 152.

I did the treadmill 3 times last week for 30min each time. I will increase this week.

Mid-week stopped taking oral meds and last shot of lantis was Friday night. I will monitor per this article http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/dec/diabetes.htm. I have not spoke to my doctor about any of this. I have not managed my diabetes very well, but I will check every morning and make adjustments.

Some of the foods eaten this week had oils (flour wraps, re-fried beans, and some Chinese veggies day one). I have not went hungry or craved any meat or dairy. My skin and hair feel less oily and I have energy.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:43 pm

Feeling real good tonight.

I discovered the video section on the main page. I feel like I just saved $5,000. I watched one on the iPad while doing the treadmill at 2.5mph. The plan was to stop at 30 min, but the video was over an hour. I survived! I had been doing every other day, not sure if I will skip a day. Going slower and watching the video felt good, no soreness.

I find myself diving into the web site and forums. I am very greatful to the people that participate and contribute.

I am trying not to talk so much about this WOE all the time to everyone, but I can't help it. I need to stfu until I have some visible results. For whatever reason, when I heard the radio interview, it just made sense, like it was already in the back of my mind. I want to share this with the world, but really I need to focus on me.

I think that is why I like the forums here so much.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby Adrienne » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Welcome to the forum. I am also grateful for all those who contribute and participate here.

I read your post about hearing Dr McD on the radio recently. That's great how easily you were able to connect with Dr McDougall's message.

Good luck on your journey!
Adrienne

Postby peasouper » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:14 am

Well done John and welcome!

Keep us posted with your progress.

Sue
peasouper

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:28 am

My surgar was at 173 this morning. I think I need to cut out on late night snacks, but I feel great and I am not going to stress out on that number today. My clothes feel a little looser. I snuck on the scale. I think it is under 250 (I can't read the numbers with or without my glasses standing straight). I am only going to weigh in on Sunday's with my wife monitoring the results. I am looking forward to Sunday.

Speaking of Suday, I still need to figure out my NFL Sundays Feasts, as that is one of the few times I watch TV, besides movies. Per-season is this weekend, so I need to try-out some snacks.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby peasouper » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:36 am

How about microwaved popcorn as a snack?

Put 1/3 cup of popping corn in a paper bag and microwave for 2 minutes (750 kw). To be McDougall compliant do not add anything to the popped corn.

Sue
peasouper

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:44 am

My blood surgar was 174 this morning. Not sweating it.

This website is full of info. I am surprised it is free. I am glad it is.

I think I am going to remove the little bit of bread (wheat and rye) from my daily food and save flour products when out and about.

I did the treadmill last night, first time two nights in a row. I think the 2.5 mph rate is good for watching a video and not too stressful. I am working up a sweat, but not getting all greasy.

I think breakfast has been key for me. I know that has been a meal often skipped, which makes no sense. Eating oatmeal with fruit just seems to get the day started in the right direction.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:51 am

I plan on getting an air popper for popcorn. Will have that with movies.

For football, I would like to have something with more substance. I have tried baking my own chips with corn tortillas, some come out perfect, some undercooked and some burnt. I am going to a health food store to see what they have. My plan is to have salsa and bean dip. I might look into doing some sort of layered dip and sneak some potatoes and rice in it. I need the chips first. On Football Sundays, the food as is important as who is playing.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby CarolynA » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:54 am

John - you are doing great! I posted on the "Ask a Star McDougaller" thread you started, but the moderator removed my post as I am not a Start McDougaller - they are very strict about that for some reason. Anyway, there are recipes out there for fake nacho cheeze sauces. They are higher in fat, because many of them use nuts. I have made one from cashews and nutritional yeast (and probably some other ingredients). There may be a recipe for this type of sauce on the Recipes board - I haven't looked. However, a quick google search will give you access to some recipes. The one I make tastes just like nacho cheese, and I have served it to guests who could not tell the difference. This might be an option for you for football season, as long as you keep it to once a week. Otherwise, it will definitely interfere with your weight loss. I hope this helps! :)

Carolyn
I am worth it!
CarolynA

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:06 am

I have gotten a few private messages from my post there. I wanted to get answers there to stop confusion about some food choices.

I am hoping the health food store in town has some products that do not have oil or that have too much fat.

I am still making the velvetta cheese with rotel and beef for guests. I am not sure if I want fake cheese or not. I have decided that fake milk and fake burgers are out. I had not thought about cheese.

I am thinking of a layered bean dip. I will keep looking and reading. Everyone has been very helpful.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:04 am

My blood surgar was 183 this morning.

I did the treadmill while watching Forks Over Knives last night. That makes three days in a row for over an hour at 2.5 mph. I feel great. I might bring the speed up a bit. The movie was good.

I made a batch of corn chips. I think I have the hang of it. I am looking forward to football season, watched a little preseason nfl last night.

I went out to lunch with a friend. We went to Panera Bread Co. I think he means well. I need to find a better place to go out to eat to. My plan is to cut flour out, unless going out to eat. I also think they use oils there. Maybe I am crazy, but my skin felt different a while after eating there. I had a half veggie sandwich with no cheese and a bowl of vegetarian corn chowder. The place is okay, but I do not plan on going back.

I have no clue what the difference between a vegetarian and a vegan is. I do not want to label myself as either. Plant based diet is a term that seems used lots. I also have heard the term "closer to the ground". I think that concept is good for this WOE.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:28 am

My blood surgar was 163 this morning.

I did the treadmill for an hour (15min at 2.5 mph working my way to 3mph).

Went out to lunch with a friend. Ate some bread, besides that stayed on plan with a salad, steamed veggies and a baked potato w/ Cajun mustard for topping. I think I could do same meal minus bread easily. My friend noticed I drank considerably less water.

Going grocery shopping soon, pretty excited about that. I am going to venture into the world of dry beans.

Weigh-in day tomorrow. I think I have lost weight, but even if I have not, I feel great. I am pretty sure I have lost. I am also excited about weighing in. I have ate pretty good this week and have not been hungry once.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:39 am

Today is weigh-in day. I lost another 5lbs this week!

Blood surgar was at 173.

I did not do the treadmill yesterday, but did some yard work.

I am feeling good. I was not real sure if I was losing or not. I ate lots of potatoes and rice this past week. Plus going out to eat a few times.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals