Fulenn's MS page New: before/after pics on page 15

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Fulenn's MS page New: before/after pics on page 15

Postby fulenn » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:04 pm

This is the first time I have made krautburgers since beginning to eat this way. I replaced the milk in the dough recipe with soy milk and used EnerG Egg Replacer for the 3 eggs. I just left the stick of butter out and did not replace it with anything. Since I often make bread without the oil in the recipe and it is successful, I am hoping for the same with this dough. It is rising right now and then I will put the cabbage-onion filling in.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby nicoles » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:29 pm

Hope the krautburgers turn out well! And all the young eating. :)

I know what you mean about the ice cream. I have gotten so relaxed into eating this way that I have almost had a few "no-no" thi ngs here and there before I caught myself (or my DH did :lol: )
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby fulenn » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:29 am

Hi Nicole!

The krautburgers worked great! It's reassuring to hear that I am not the only person who does stuff like the ice cream, though you were able to stop at "almost" and I did not even think about it. I'm on alert for that now, though, so no repeats!

The menu was a hit with everyone this week! I made 32 krautburgers and only have 2 left, the potato casserole was gone the night we made it, and my daughter took some of the dumpling soup back to school with her. She called me and told me she ate it for lunch that same day. :) I did not put soy curls in it, though, it was just veggie broth with dumplings.

Fulenn

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

fulenn

Postby f1jim » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:51 am

When confronted by temptation we need something to snap us back into focus. I always tell people to use a date to remember.
For you it would be:

Wed Aug 27, 2008

Memorize it and let it be a trigger for your brain.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby jamietwo » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:34 pm

Fulenn, I am SO impressed that you successfully cooked for your kids' friends for a week! My teenage son's friends almost always say its good, but they're not very hungry! Even when its our turn to take snacks somewhere, there seems to be a lot leftover. I've found that my son is not a good barometer of what SAD-eating kids like, because he's never been a SAD-eating kid! :P Heck, never mind the menu, I'm impressed that you cooked for so many people! :D
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby fulenn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:34 pm

Thanks, Jim! I will do just that. I think what has me here is that I didn't even think about it. The thought that what I was being offered might actually be from a cow didn't even cross my mind, I just assumed it was a frozen soy dessert. Hmph! I won't be making any more assumptions. I have stayed on this eating-style by doing the majority of the cooking for myself and not letting others do it for me. (If you want something done right, do it yourself.) I don't do restaurants much, though I do post pictures when I do. :D I like your idea of using my first day here as my reminder.

Jamietwo, thanks for your note! It helps that my girls and their friends are all quite devoted to my eating well. All but one guest was either my own child or a former student of mine. I am pretty sure that my children prepared their friends for meals here and instructed them to not complain. :D It worked out, though. You really can't miss with spaghetti and the krautburgers were a novelty for almost everyone, so they were fun. Of course, I have a couple left still...

This weeks menu is a lot less interesting since I am back to work tomorrow and will be quite busy.

--spaghetti
--pizza
--stuffed bell peppers
--grilled hummus and tomato sandwiches
--baked potatoes and fresh Brussels sprouts (I usually buy them frozen)
--pumpkin soup and toast
--boiled potatoes and cabbage
--baked Japanese yams over rice with kale
--lunches will be leftovers
--breakfasts will be oatmeal. I tried it with cinnamon and ground flax seed once last week and it is now my new favorite. I still put blackberries in it.

I had a friend ask me how to grill something without butter; this is how I do it: the plates on my waffle iron reverse to make to flat griddles. I spread the hummus and whatever else is going in the sandwich on the bread, lay it on one griddle, and fold the other side on top of it like I was making waffles. It isn't as heavy as a panini press, but it still gives me a toasty sandwich that is a bit flatter than it began. If you put kale on the sandwich, try letting it stick out the sides at least an inch in each direction; when the sandwich is finished, the kale is crispy--soo good!

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:32 pm

My menu has already been changed...it is windy and getting colder here, so I am making bean and barley soup. Here is my picture of it in the pressure cooker about half and hour ago. The beans are Anasazi beans and I am using pearled barley. My family really likes the Anasazi beans so I use them often.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby nicoles » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:13 pm

:lol: NOW I stop at almost...there were a few instances where I'd get something, say a California roll instead of a vegetarian sushi roll, and totally forget it had crab or shrimp or whatever fakery in it until I had polished it off! My DH used to just keep his mouth shut, figuring I was doing as I pleased, but once he realized I was making mistakes I did not want to make he'll check in with me if I am ever about to do that. :lol:

Pretty soup! Love anasazi beans :)
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby fulenn » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:04 pm

nicoles wrote::lol: NOW I stop at almost...there were a few instances where I'd get something, say a California roll instead of a vegetarian sushi roll, and totally forget it had crab or shrimp or whatever fakery in it until I had polished it off! My DH used to just keep his mouth shut, figuring I was doing as I pleased, but once he realized I was making mistakes I did not want to make he'll check in with me if I am ever about to do that. :lol:

Pretty soup! Love anasazi beans :)

:) Thanks for sharing!

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby MSNomad » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:15 pm

Fulenn, thanks for posting your food menus for the week and your pictures. Love seeing how organized you are, and seeing your food. It is great that the young folks in your life like your cooking! :-D
I have a blog about traveling well with MS: MSNomad's blog
You can also "like" me on Facebook: MSNomad's FB page
I also keep a journal here on the Discussion Boards: MSNomad's journal
MSNomad

Postby moonwatcher » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:25 am

Yes, Hi Fulenn, all great updates. For some reason I am not getting notifications anymore when you post, so sorry I missed so much!!

xoxo

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:19 pm

MSNomad, nice to hear from you! I really don't give the girls a lot of options about what we eat anymore, I'm just too busy and don't want to derail myself.

moonwatcher, don't worry about it. I have been so busy that I hardly spend any time here anymore, but summer is coming and that will change in a couple of months.

A friend and colleague at school died over the weekend of a heart attack. Like so many that we hear about, she seemed healthy, was not overweight, had good energy levels as far as we could tell, and her first warning of any problems was a fatal heart attack. I am profoundly sad and the atmosphere at the school was also sad today. We all miss our friend! I encourage anyone who is sitting on the wall just thinking about this to jump in and give it a try. We who have spent our lives eating a variety of fats, animal products, and processed foods all have some degree of heart disease; it isn't worth it to find out by dying that we had too much. This way of eating could have helped my friend, unless they find some congenital problem.

I have been cooking potatoes the past few days since beginning to follow Potato Strong on Facebook. Yesterday I made hash browns for my spouse and I.

Have a great evening!
Fulenn

fulenn

Postby moonwatcher » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:50 pm

Dear Fulenn,

I am so so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. It's very sad. I had a neighbor die unexpectedly recently as well, which I wrote about on my blog. I join you in encouraging anyone who is on the fence about this way of eating to jump in and give it a try. it's very sobering to hear of Dr. Esselstyn's worse case scenario coming true for your friend--the fatal heart attack that occurs with no warning. I guess nothing is completely certain, but I, too, believe this way of eating is the best defense against such a tragedy.

I hope you and your friends take gentle care of each other during this sad transition.

And now I must go see what Potato Strong is!!

xoxo

moonwatcher

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:22 pm

moonwatcher, thank you!

Today my daughter is celebrating her birthday with a dozen friends. Here at home. And they are eating dinner here. sigh. They want pizza. One of her friends is newly vegan and another is newly paleo. I can handle the vegan, but had to sit down with the paleo to see what she was eating. Turns out she is eating a lot like me. She said that a lot of paleo people just want to eat more bacon, but that we all know there wasn't bacon in paleolithic times. So she eats fruit and vegetables, potatoes and carrots, berries, and other non-processed foods. She figures they might have eaten some wheat if they found some wild, but she doesn't go crazy on it. So most of the kids will get veggie pizza on wheat crusts and she will get veggie pizza with potato rounds for the crust. Sorry everyone, but I don't eat cheese so I don't have any--how about some extra veggies on that pizza? :D

Wish me luck! There are several people that I do not know here, so I am hoping that nobody does a run for cheese.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby moonwatcher » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:59 pm

I am so proud of you fulenn-- you are doing awesome with this!! you go girl!!

xoxo

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals