As per Dr. McD's advice to start on a Monday, today I am preparing. This means:
1. I cleaned out my fridge, freezer, and cupboards of all forbidden foods. Gave it to my neighour.
2. Went shopping and stocked up on all the healthy food. Following Jeff Novick's advice and tips, I only spent $27.32 for the week! This is what I got:
Frozen vegetables, canned tomatoes, a bag of dried beans (cheaper than canned and will last me longer than one week), whole wheat pasta (will last more than a week), brown rice (will last more than a week) , frozen berries. I also got some fresh fruit and veg: a bag of apples, bananas, potatoes, baby field greens for salad, carrots. That's a lot of food for under $30 !
I already had onions, garlic, spices, lemons, vinegars and rolled oats.
3. I have a HUGE pot of minestrone (with beans and whole wheat pasta) simmering on the stove. I will put 1/2 in the fridge for the week and freeze 1/2.
4. I have a pot of vegetable stock simmering too - made from scraps of fresh veggies I had in the fridge/freezer. I will freeze this in one-cup servings and use it to cook rice, give more flavour to steamed veggies, use as a soup base, etc.
5. My goals for the next 12 days:
a) give up coffee (this will be a challenge)
b) stick to the diet without cheating (giving up olive oil and salt won't be easy)
6. My daily exercise (for now) will be a long walk every day, aiming for first thing in the morning, but this might tempt me to get a coffee along the way, so we'll see.
If I can follow Dr. McD's advice for the first 12 days, I think that will set a good foundation on which to improve.
Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need all the help I can get.