A Journey Home

A place for interested members to journal personal progress, ask questions, and offer support

Moderators: JeffN, carolve

Re: A Journey Home

Postby Chile » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:22 am

For me, riding my bicycle is not just about exercise. Right now it is, as I get back into shape, but once I'm able to, I'll be using my bike to do short-range errands. If you have a bikeable route to the store or the post office or anywhere else you go nearby, you could hang onto that cool trike to use as a means of transportation. With the basket in the back, you could haul quite a bit!

I also like that walking and biking use slightly different muscles so by doing both, I'm strengthening my legs in a more well-rounded manner. And, remember, muscle burns fat while at rest; fat does not.
User avatar
Chile
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:56 pm

Re: A Journey Home

Postby Norm » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:00 am

MixedGrains wrote:Hey, Norm! You and I are at similar weights and on a similar timeframe since we started eating healthy. Sadly, I'm not having your success with working exercise into my daily programs, it's something I still need to work on.

It isn't easy at this size to get out and move. Keep trying!
MixedGrains wrote:I snipped that quote above just to say it feels like you took the words right out of my mouth! I too had that resigned sense that my weight was gonna kill me off at a young age. Now, I still have some of the health problems I had, but with everything getting better, it no longer seems so grimly inevitable!
Better!! Yes, things are getting better. I have quite a few neighbors who have seen with their eyes my progress... They remember when I first started walking around the block that I walked very slowly and used two canes, one in each hand... They keep telling me I'm doing good! I correct them... I tell them I'm doing BETTER, and that I'll let them know when I'm doing good! They're catching on. :)
MixedGrains wrote:My own method for coping with tasty whole wheat pasta (which I tend to cook in quantity when I cook it, and then eat too much of while it's in the fridge) is to make pasta salads, heavy on the veg.
That is a GREAT idea, and I'm going to use it myself. Thanks!
Chile wrote: If you have a bikeable route to the store or the post office or anywhere else you go nearby, you could hang onto that cool trike to use as a means of transportation. With the basket in the back, you could haul quite a bit!

I can haul even more with mine, as I've taken off that flimsy basket (the only part of the trike that wasn't built like a tank) and replaced it with a large milk crate. Not only does it hold more but I can stack a second one on top if needed. But... when my "lifesaver" reaches the point that it's merely a cool toy, I feel I have a moral obligation to pass it on to someone else for whom it can be a lifesaver.
Chile wrote:I also like that walking and biking use slightly different muscles so by doing both, I'm strengthening my legs in a more well-rounded manner. And, remember, muscle burns fat while at rest; fat does not.

You're right! I'll make a point of riding a bit more than I have been. It will be easy to do, as I'm limiting my walks to half mile each and a total of 2 miles. Riding more will let me add more exercise without adding more strain on my back.

-Norm
User avatar
Norm
 
Posts: 938
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: A Journey Home

Postby Norm » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:06 am

Today will be Day 2 dairy free.... if I survive!!!

I say this because I am baking bread today. I have eliminated butter out of my diet easily enough, except on bread baking day. Warm bread fresh from the oven SCREAMS for butter. The temptation is to give in to the butter and start over with the Dairy-Free thing tomorrow.

I'll let you know tonight if I was strong, or weak!!

-Norm
User avatar
Norm
 
Posts: 938
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: A Journey Home

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:15 am

Norm wrote:Today will be Day 2 dairy free.... if I survive!!!

I say this because I am baking bread today. I have eliminated butter out of my diet easily enough, except on bread baking day. Warm bread fresh from the oven SCREAMS for butter. The temptation is to give in to the butter and start over with the Dairy-Free thing tomorrow.

I'll let you know tonight if I was strong, or weak!!

-Norm


Hi Norm,

I certainly understand the temptation to eat butter with bread. I could tell you to just eliminate the bread, but I don't want to be the food police. :D
I found that fruit butter also tastes great with bread. You can either buy fruit butter with no added sugar or try making your own since you are a cook. This is a great time of year to look for pumpkin and apple butter at the farmer's markets. My local farmer's market sells sugar-free apple butter. Also you might try no added sugar all-fruit jam. Just some suggestions that might help you to stay away from the high fat in butter. :)
Gramma Jackie
 

Re: A Journey Home

Postby Chile » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:20 am

Mmm, yeah, spicy pumpkin butter is just luscious on bread!
User avatar
Chile
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:56 pm

Re: A Journey Home

Postby MixedGrains » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:02 am

Pumpkin butter, now there's a thought!

Normally I have very little use for squashes and sweet potatoes ... just not fond of the flavors. But I'm thinking that roasting pumpkin cubes and maybe some diced sweet potato (for added sweetness), maybe with some garlic if you prefer savory to sweet, a splash of red wine, and autumn spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove) and then pureeing ... might make a good spread. Just brainstorming, here.

I haven't made whole wheat bread in a while -- it began to strike me as counterproductive -- but when I did, others in my house would want some, hot and slathered in butter. Watching and not participating, that was hard (understatement). I took to allowing myself one hot slice with fruit preserves ... still a lot of sugar, but better for me than the butter.
MixedGrains
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: A Journey Home

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:50 am

MixedGrains wrote:Pumpkin butter, now there's a thought!

Normally I have very little use for squashes and sweet potatoes ... just not fond of the flavors. But I'm thinking that roasting pumpkin cubes and maybe some diced sweet potato (for added sweetness), maybe with some garlic if you prefer savory to sweet, a splash of red wine, and autumn spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove) and then pureeing ... might make a good spread. Just brainstorming, here.

I haven't made whole wheat bread in a while -- it began to strike me as counterproductive -- but when I did, others in my house would want some, hot and slathered in butter. Watching and not participating, that was hard (understatement). I took to allowing myself one hot slice with fruit preserves ... still a lot of sugar, but better for me than the butter.


I have a recipe for no-sugar pumpkin butter on my blog (see the link in my signature). I like making it with fresh pumpkin.
Gramma Jackie
 

Re: A Journey Home

Postby MixedGrains » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:55 am

Gramma Jackie wrote:I have a recipe for no-sugar pumpkin butter on my blog (see the link in my signature). I like making it with fresh pumpkin.


Awesome! I'm gonna put a direct link here so that folks can still find it after it scrolls off the front page of your blog:

Gramma Jackie's Pumpkin Butter

That looks very tasty.
MixedGrains
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: A Journey Home

Postby toadfood » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:10 am

Way to go dairy free, Norm!

I have obstructive sleep apnea too and just wanted to add something about the effects -- it causes high blood pressure. After I started using the CPAP, my blood pressure returned to normal and I was able to discontinue blood pressure medication. Like the other folks with sleep apnea here, I am hoping that with weight loss I'll be able to ditch the CPAP, too.
Image

Image

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
User avatar
toadfood
 
Posts: 1686
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:13 am
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: A Journey Home

Postby Chile » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:18 am

If you roast the pumpkin (cut in half, remove seeds, prick skin, and put on baking sheet cut-side down in 350 degree oven until soft), it really brings out the natural sweetness, too. Yummy.
User avatar
Chile
 
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:56 pm

Re: A Journey Home

Postby Norm » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Dairy Free, Day 2!!!

Thanks for the recipes! I might try them sometime.

I resisted the temptation to put butter on my warm bread fresh out of the oven. It wasn't so bad after all. I didn't put anything on it, just ate it plain, and found that warm bread fresh from the oven doesn't need anything on it to taste wonderful! Today's bread was made from Kamut. I'm going to see how course I can mill the kamut. Might be good in my breakfast cereal.
=================================
Exercise. I walked 5 times around the neighborhood today for a total of 2.5 miles. I ordinarily limit myself to 4 times and 2 miles but my wife was willing to walk with me after I had already gone 4 times, so I went again. I didn't seem to suffer any for it.
=================================
Today's non-McDougall food:
1/4 cup coconut milk (about 105 calories)
1/2 Hershey's Dark Chocolate with Almonds bar, (about 90 calories)

-Norm
User avatar
Norm
 
Posts: 938
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: A Journey Home

Postby Norm » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:30 pm

Dairy Free Day 3!!
=========================
Today was a very active day. I did a lot. I'm surprised at just how much, really. Even managed to sqeeze in walks around the neighborhood 4 times for a total of 2 miles.
=========================
Today's non-McDougall foods: None!

-Norm
User avatar
Norm
 
Posts: 938
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: A Journey Home

Postby Adrienne » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:23 am

Wow a day with zero non-mcd foods!!! Congrats! Keep it up and I am sure the weight will keep coming down.
Adrienne
 
Posts: 1155
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:26 pm

Re: A Journey Home

Postby f1jim » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:38 am

Great work, Norm!
Keep it rolling.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at http://www.drmcdougall.com/star.html Scroll to James Brown
User avatar
f1jim
 
Posts: 6879
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:45 pm
Location: Pacifica, CA

Re: A Journey Home

Postby WeeSpeck » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:28 am

I am *really* enjoying reading your journal and following your progress. Truly an inspiration!
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

I am but a wee speck in the big picture of the universe.
User avatar
WeeSpeck
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:36 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Journal

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests