Gypsy's Gournal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Gypsy's Gournal

Postby Gypsy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:42 pm

Chile wrote:Would your grandfather like to adopt another granddaughter? :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
When he offered it to her, he made sure she understood that it didn't include her mother :lol: :lol: :lol: He didn't realize that she planned to lose another 60 pounds :nod:
He also told her, "just joking" that if she gained any back, it would cost her $20 a pound.
Gypsy

Postby Chile » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:20 pm

Gypsy wrote: He also told her, "just joking" that if she gained any back, it would cost her $20 a pound.

Oh, I definitely think that would be an important part of the whole agreement. The money for weight lost is meant to be an incentive, right? Why not have an additional incentive for staying on track?! Maybe there should be a time frame involved, though, like keeping the weight off for at least a year or two years or five years...
Chile

Postby Gypsy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:37 am

:cool: The scales are trying to read 174 but I'll wait a day to be sure. I haven't been on the Wii yet. If I'm out of the obese range, I'll go spastic :eek:

Preprogramed the Zo rice cooker last night, so it's cooking. And I have a pot of no salt added tomato paste, green beans, mustard greens, and navy beans. Also nuked 3 sweet potatoes. I had one left over and 2 small yukon golds...I'll peel them and add them to the pot.

:shock: My stress level is has been up. That plumber did a number on me...told me two valves were ready to blow, etc. Also, GD has had her favorite art class dropped in favor of a second math class. I must say she's taking it better than I. :lol: Well, on the bright side, maybe the stress is helping the weight loss :lol:
Gypsy

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:13 am

So sorry about the valves, the art class and math. Although math is good..... :|
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby frozenveg » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:31 am

Gypsy, watch your step on the Wii Fit, because when it tells you, "that's...overweight!", you will fall off! I can tell you, because a few months ago it happened to me! And it's going to happen to you very soon!

I've been out of town so I missed the 175 milestone--congrats, big time! It will be 174 before we know it! Funny that mentioned you don't care for brown rice (my love) as much as potatoes...I just spent 6 days with potatoes exclusively, microwaved only, and I was so happy to get back to some rice yesterday. We all have our loves! Not that I don't love potatoes, but...

On the valves--what are they valves to? Your boiler? Hot water heater? Plumbers are like dentists--they rarely have good news! :-(
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Gypsy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:20 pm

:-D Thanks for stopping by: Chile, Mrs. D, and frozenveg. I always appreciate the comments and encouragement.

DD took me to a super center about 20 minutes away. I was able to buy steel cut oats...never heard of them before reading this forum. I just did a search and learned to cook them in my crock pot over night. Placed one cup of oats in 4 cups of water in oven proof bowl, set it on a grate in the crock pot and filled the crock pot with water about half way up the bowl and cook on low. Then go to bed. :nod: Good night ya'll. :nod:
Gypsy

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:39 am

I'm curious to see how you like the cut oats done that way. I never tried a dish inside the crock pot, although I've done rice in a pressure cooker that way.

Do you have any tricks and tips for getting teenagers to eat leafy greens? :unibrow:
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby carollynne » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:15 am

Good Morning, You have just mentioned my all time new favorite breakfast!! I love my steel cut oats. I was really hooked on the old fashioned rolled oats, but now it is the steel cut oats for all time. I just cook them on the stove and the proportions are the same, 1/4 cup of oats to 1 cup of water, and it seems to me it is done in less than 20 mins. Never thought of doing the cooking in my little small crockpot. I put all my left over in the frig, and spoon out what I want daily.
Let us know how you like them too, I put some of my frozen berries and a bit of cinn and that is heavenly.
Have a good day out there!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby Gypsy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:04 am

:D I love the steel cut oats and ease of cooking them in the crock pot :-D and it was so nice to have them ready when I got up. DD plans to try them. I tried a little Agave syrup but not really excited about that. Also some apple sauce :P The oats are not bad plain...I'm so used to eating plain that I don't need anything :cool:

I can buy the steel cut oats from Amazon delivered at 12 cents an oz.(subscription price...so easy to cancel if you change your mind :nod: ) Yesterday I paid 16 cents an oz at the super center

Mrs. D...sorry :( I have no words of wisdom for getting the young'uns to eat their greens. Always look for progress and not perfection, and remember to be grateful for the positive changes thus far 8) Caroyllynne, I may try frozen fruit on the oats, and fresh peaches are in now :nod: nummmy
Gypsy

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:12 am

Oh, that's right, there's Amazon! I keep forgetting about that! :duh: Isn't that nice that you can get a better price and have it delivered too?
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Gypsy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:46 am

:lol: Mrs D...I was just reading about your boys and the paper towels in the toilet :lol: and you saying another thing on the list to do at their houses....my mom used to say the same to us girls when we were banging her pans around. :lol: When GD plugs the stool, she knows she'll get my lecture on giving up meat and cheese. :lol: ;) She'd be so embarrassed :-P
Ah, well...3 emails and 2 phone calls and she's back in her favorite art class. and today she's going to the town square for the county festival...no Farmer's Market this week because of the festival.

DD brought home another 40lb box of sweeties...they went up in price to 29.90. She's learned to order early in the morning and pick up before the afternoon shift comes on. Nobody knew anything about her order :shock: Friday evening is not a good time. She's doing well with her steel cut oats for breakfast, 1#green beans and sweeties later in the day.

I'll probably finish up the rice and soup, but I'm not excited about it ...this being the third day.
Wii says, I've lost .4 lbs and it looks like 0.3 to the obese/overweight line. I'm in my nineth month of McDougalling...love it :nod:
Gypsy

Postby Chile » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:48 am

Diced apples and pears are nice added to oats, too.
Chile

Postby Gypsy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:58 am

Chile wrote:Diced apples and pears are nice added to oats, too.

Can I add them to the bowl in the crock pot? I would like them cooked :nod:
Gypsy

Postby Chile » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:00 am

Probably, but I don't like them cooked. I vaguely remember Dr. McDougall talking about not eating as much cooked fruit (maybe in the MWL book?) so if I can, I try to eat my fruit raw. I stir it in when I'm done cooking the oats and let it sit for a few minutes to soften.
Chile

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:10 am

Oh, I used to LOVE to put tart cherries in my oats in the crockpot to cook, along with a little almond extract. Now I put them into hot oatmeal to cool it off, and don't use the almond extract. I buy the frozen no sugar added tart pie cherries but have gotten away from that too, they are pretty expensive compared to say, bananas and apples.

I think pears would be really good in oats! I might try that later today, I'm on my own and have several pears on the tree out back that are ripe. It's a tiny tree, but loaded with pears this year.

Hey Gypsy, WOO HOO on the overweight line being so close! You'll be there in mere days! Feels good, don't it?

And good for the GD on that art class! That is great news.
Mrs. Doodlepunk

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals