10 weeks left in 2010

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

10 weeks left in 2010

Postby limberone » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:00 am

There are ten weeks left in 2010, and today is also the 16th anniversary celebrating the day I became a vegetarian. The first ten years were great, and the last six years have been progressively less healthy. To celebrate the day, and to have a healthy ten weeks, today I departed from my usual breakfast of coffee, bagels & cream cheese and prepared the multi-mix cereal. It was just cooked & refrigerated brown rice, raw rolled oats, and a small sprinkling of grape nuts, all topped off with soymilk.

I have over 60 pounds to lose. I've been wearing the same three pairs of size 16 shorts for a few years now. During the winter, I wear the same three pairs of black leggings I've been wearing for many years now. I have no pairs of jeans that fit. The waist is the problem. If I find a waist that actually fits, all the other measurements in the clothing are too big. I've got a collection of fat layers that prevent any normal clothes from fitting properly. I would really like to wear a pair of jeans or a pair of khaki pants again w/o the muffin top that invariably makes people feel the need to ask if I'm pregnant. It's gotten to the point that I simply avoid as many events as possible, because I am horrified when I look into the mirror.

So today I begin re-learning good habits to replace the numerous bad habits that I have picked up over the last six years. There's something about October for me that has always signaled a new beginning. Many of the events I can remember as being very significant for me originate in October. Also, the number 11 is one of my favorite numbers, and I want to begin 2011 in a better place than I have been for many years now.

Today is Friday. That is good news and bad news. It's the weekend (my husband and children are home with me -- YAY!), and it's the weekend (lots of rich food + alcohol = lots of calories). But I've made the decision. All the rich foods will still be available forever, but if I keep eating as much of them as I do, I will never be healthy again.
limberone

Re: 10 weeks left in 2010

Postby sksamboots » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:38 am

Glad your here. I look forward to following your journey :nod:
sksamboots

Postby CJJ » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:42 am

Welcome!! I hope the next 10 weeks will be a big turnaround in your health and eating.
CJJ

Postby LauraLee » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:41 pm

limberone wrote:So today I begin re-learning good habits to replace the numerous bad habits that I have picked up over the last six years.

Great goal! You can do it!

I understand about clothes issues. I have some jeans that were my "fat" jeans a few years ago. Now, they are my "skinny" jeans as I'm working to get into them so I can at least have one pair of jeans to wear on the weekend.
So sad. :oops:

We will get there! I look foward to seeing your progress these next ten weeks and plan to be taking the journey right along with you!

Let see what we can accomplish in ten weeks! :nod:
LauraLee

Postby limberone » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:09 pm

Debbie,

This is great! I think all of these numbers jumped out at you simply because of me. I am obsessed with numbers, and I think about them and how they relate to each other and to life in general ALL THE TIME!

Today's breakfast was followed by an apple for a snack, yay!

For lunch, I made a big salad with lemon juice & red pepper for a dressing. That salad dressing was interesting, but not fantastic. Then I shared a sweet potato with lime juice with my toddler. That's a huge favorite around here!

For dinner, I made Bean-Corn Enchiladas (page 290 in the New McD Cookbook), and they are in the oven with the timer set. Now all I need to do is make the Spanish rice -- it's just onion, bell pepper, garlic, tomato sauce, water and basmati rice.

Also, I ordered the McD digestive tune-up book from the library, and it is ready for me to pick up tomorrow. I know I will learn a lot from that book.

Lots of time in the kitchen today...I really used to love spending the whole day in the kitchen. But that's when I was single and before I got married and had five children. I think there is going to be a big learning curve in figuring out how to manage time. But at the same time, I still think there are habits that could be easily changed. Like when I grabbed an apple out the fridge today. Usually, I eat no snacks. Instead, I wait until I can make something for lunch, and of course I am starving by then, so lunch turns into an eating marathon on most days. But not today, so I am happy.

It's five o'clock somewhere! Happy Friday, everyone.
limberone

Postby woods38 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:13 am

You are right, this is the perfect time for you to get healthy. The timing is right!

You and I are in a similar situation. I have also been stuck at a size 16 for years and I am also struggling with a lot of weight in the middle, which I never had before. I started on the McDougall plan on Monday and I weighed in at 191.6. I need to lose about the same amount. I don't shop for clothes for myself unless absolutely necessary because I hate to see myself in those dressing room mirrors! I am so ashamed at how I have treated my body to get to this place.

Most of my family and friends have thought of me as a vegetarian for years. I know that I sometimes eat meat and don't call myself a vegetarian (maybe a flexitarian) until now. I am committed to a vegan diet and this plan. I need this to work!

I wish you well this weekend. Be strong! I have to face the same temptations at home. My husband always has his daily glass of wine and I cook richer foods for my active 15 yr.old. I have to be strong also and just say "no" tonight to those temptations.

I look forward to watching us both succeed with this plan. We can do it! :-D
Tara
woods38

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:17 am

Good luck limberone and woods38 on yourney to optimal health!
Rob

Postby proverbs31woman » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:13 am

Limberone,

Thanks for pointing out that there are only 10 weeks left in this year. Wow! It flew by so quickly. I am so inspired by your journey thus far. I know that you are going to see great results if you continue down this path. I too have a family who eats SAD foods, so I understand how hard it is to resist temptations. You can do it thought. Every time you say no to rich foods, you are really rewarding yourself with good health and longevity.

Take care!
proverbs31woman

Postby limberone » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:56 pm

Thanks to sksamboots, CJJ, LauraLee, debbie, woods38, Rob, and proverbs31woman for visiting!

It's been a good day. I found some safe homemade scones in the freezer for breakfast, and I remembered to grab an apple for a snack today as I was headed out the door to take children to Saturday events.

Three changes I made yesterday, that, when done on a consistent basis, will add up to results:

1. used lemon juice & red pepper instead of O/V salad dressing
2. skipped the oil I traditionally use in Spanish rice
3. did something different by getting an apple for a snack instead of getting so hungry that lunch becomes a free-for-all eating marathon

Today, I have some potatoes (that I sliced using a crinkle cutter) baking in the oven for lunch. For dinner, I'm going to Subway. I love their veggie subs, and they have so many good low-fat options to select for toppings!

Today's change upon which I am focused is drinking water. I realized yesterday that I really do not drink much of anything during the day. I know that many whole foods have a good amount of water in them, and I also know that I feel much better when I have the habit of drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day.

Happy Saturday to everyone!~
limberone

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning