Laura Lee's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: SAD Weekend

Postby Peacebloom » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:41 pm

LauraLee wrote:In the end, it didn't taste that good and wasn't all that satisfying. ...
So, I begin again.

Sounds like you had yourself a learning weekend. ;-) Now you have more foods that you can add to your "No need to try again" list! How handy! I reckon you are going to have a few more tangents from the main path you are creating for yourself. The best thing is that you keep returning to the new way of eating. Your brain and taste buds are in a bit of a pickle right now while they get oriented. You will get there! :nod:
Peacebloom

Re: Laura Lee's Journal

Postby LauraLee » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:59 am

Peacebloom wrote:
LauraLee wrote:But, the dairy.....it seems to be my biggest challenge to becoming 100% vegan.

Oh yes! Dairy! Such a delightful evil! Are you looking for substitutes only or is this type of sensation/experience something you might also move away from completely (as you mention about chocolate)?
LauraLee wrote:I'll just keep working at it and, eventually, it will be my lifestyle.

Yes it will! :nod:
Here's to a fantastic Saturday!

Thanks for the encouraging words. I am hoping to find a substitute for the dairy products I miss....but want to avoid the soy products. I keep looking at recipes on various websites. Will see if anything does the trick. If not, I'll just have to move on. :)
LauraLee

Postby LauraLee » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:04 am

janluvs2heel wrote:What works for me, telling myself, when I get the craving, if I still want it tomorrow I can have it. And 100%, I have not woken up in the am & still wanted it.

Hang in there, no that the cravings will lessen as time goes by.

Jan

Great advice Jan. Thank you. I will work on that. Someone else told me to say to myself, "I can get through this moment." I can, and I will. I just need to keep telling myself that.

Laura
LauraLee

Postby Peacebloom » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:53 pm

LauraLee wrote:I am hoping to find a substitute for the dairy products I miss....but want to avoid the soy products.

I will be curious to know what you find out about your tastes and satisfaction levels with anything you experiment with. Unfortunately I have determined that I just need to finish adjusting to no dairy as my taste buds would rather do without than try to be faked out. That being said, I am having more fun with my food now that I am not striving to mimic anything but rather just create yummy combinations! :nod:

And since I don't like meat, I have put dairy on my feast food list for when I get to my goal. Even though my goal is still quite some time in the future, I have given myself permission to allow that as a treat food because who knows if I will even want it by then and in the meantime I don't feel a loss. :-)
Peacebloom

October 19, 2010

Postby LauraLee » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:51 am

Day nineteen on MWLP – October 19th

Meals:
Breakfast – Apple
Mid-Morning Snack – Morning Sweet Potato Casserole w/Pineapple
Lunch – Sweet Potato Fries with Celery Sticks
Mid Afternoon Snack – None
Dinner – Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Vegetables
Two baked potatoes with veggie sauce and hummus
Evening Snack – Fudge Round Cookies :\

Still not quite 100%, but I will keep heading in that direction.
The evenings seems to be my downfall. Most of my eating occurs between the hours of 6pm and 9pm. I need to occupy myself with something besides "grazing" for food! :-(

Exercise – No walking, as it was cold again. The days are getting shorter, so there is not as much time in the evenings. I need to plan a break during work and walk around campus, instead.

I also need to get back on my elliptical machine in the evenings. But, when I get home, I just want to curl up with some hot comfort foods and stay warm. Mmmmm...exercise would warm me up. Need to get motivated! :nod:
LauraLee

Postby LauraLee » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:10 am

Peacebloom wrote:
LauraLee wrote:I am hoping to find a substitute for the dairy products I miss....but want to avoid the soy products.

I will be curious to know what you find out about your tastes and satisfaction levels with anything you experiment with. Unfortunately I have determined that I just need to finish adjusting to no dairy as my taste buds would rather do without than try to be faked out. That being said, I am having more fun with my food now that I am not striving to mimic anything but rather just create yummy combinations! :nod:

Peacebloom - quite right! I need to experiment more with whole foods and create my own "new" favorites! What is one of your favorites?

I did find a recipe for oat milk that I am going to make. Then, I found information on how to make foods "creamy" with fruits such as peaches, pineapple and banana. So, I am going to do some experimenting this weekend to see what I come up with. I've seen lots of recipes for oatmeal smoothies. So, I am thinking along those lines but a little thicker. We will see.

It is going to rain all this weekend in Michigan, so it will be a good time to be in the kitchen preparing meals to keep me on track.

Oh, and off the subject of food, meals, and the MWLP. I spent a week in your area this past summer. We vacationed near Nanaimo, on the island. It was really nice weather and a great time! We will have to go back there, again. I love that area! :-D

Also spent some time in Seattle, Washington (where we flew into from Michigan). I like that city, also! May move out that way for retirement. (Husband is a scuba diver and has a brother in California who is also a scuba diver.)
LauraLee

Postby Peacebloom » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:05 pm

I tend to tinker in the kitchen so let me know what kind of flavours you like and I'll see about jotting something down. I love to peruse recipe blogs but I have decided that for the time being I need to take a bit of a hiatus to focus my energy towards viewing my food as simply fuel for my body.

I am pleased you enjoyed your time out west. The island is a lovely place from top to bottom. I am biased as I grew up there. ;-)

Seattle is a great city as well. Fantastic spot to retire I say! So long as you are okay with the rain and grey winters. :) I love our weather and winters so we are just coming into my favorite time of year.

Hope you had a lovely Wednesday. :nod:
Peacebloom

Postby LauraLee » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:15 pm

Day twenty on MWLP – October 20th

Meals:
Breakfast – Apple
Mid-Morning Snack – None
Lunch – Sweet Potato Salad
Mid Afternoon Snack – Sweet Potato Fries with Celery Sticks
Evening Snack – Ezekiel cinnamon raisin muffins
Blueberry bean muffin, Cherry bean muffin

Exercise – Took a break during work and walked for 20 minutes.
Found a store that sells Bean Muffins in Cherry and Blueberry flavors. They are pretty good.

Day twenty-one on MWLP – October 21st
Attended a work conference - few food choices

Meals:
Breakfast – Cherry bean muffin, Blueberry bean muffin
Mid-Morning Snack – Watermelon, Canteloupe, Honeydew Melon
Lunch – Salad
Mid Afternoon Snack – Candy :\
Evening Snack – Ezekiel cinnamon raisin muffin

Exercise – None

I'm not eating enough vegetables. Lots of room for improvement, there! :nod:
LauraLee

Postby LauraLee » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:28 pm

Peacebloom wrote:I tend to tinker in the kitchen so let me know what kind of flavours you like and I'll see about jotting something down.

Thanks for the offer, Peacebloom! Actually, I have been looking at the 3- and 4-ingredient meals posted on this website as well as some of the SNAP meals. Think I will try a few of those and see what comes of it.

I have bags of frozen broccoli, lima beans and vegetable mix (with summer squash, peppers and other veggies) as well as some cans of black beans, kidney beans and diced tomatoes (no salt added). And, I have some quinoa that I want to use....and potatoes that ned to be used up. Could use more brown rice and squash, but that should be all I have to purchase this weekend.

Lots of options!
LauraLee

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals