Science Lady's Mission

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Science Lady's Mission

Postby LisaB » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:58 pm

Hi,

I am new to these boards and have never done an "online" journal before but, I have found reading them to be very helpful!
So, as an accountability method, I have decided to start one.

I am a 48 year-old woman who attends university full-time. I have three children and two grandchildren. Only the youngest child, age 12, is at home.

I was a vegetarian for 20 years. I left an abusive marriage and started my life over in a new state. I recently re-married a wonderful man, but, sadly, have gained a tremendous amount of weight.

Currently, I am at an all-time high weight of 252!!! Unforgivable that i allowed this to happen to me. :\

However, I am determined to regain my health! I am an agricultural education maor and this semester I have a lot of stable and tractor work to do..I need to get in shape to keep up with the younger kids in my classes LOL :)

So, today this is what I ate:

B-raw oats with homemade soy milk, flax seed and diced apple

S- pink grapefruit

L-large green salad with raw veggies and a navy beans on top (about 3/4 c) and a large baked sweet potato

S- 1 can of pears packed in juice (from food bank, I don't normally buy canned fruit)

D-homemade baked beans on a toasted whole wheat bun (1/2) topped with caramelized onions

I drink a lot of water and I had I cup of black coffee.
I am on food stamps and hope to get them renewed tomorrow..if I do, I can go grocery shopping otherwise it is to the food bank.

I get my student loan in 10 days, then I will have more money for fresh fruits and veggies. Right now, oats, potatoes, rice and beans are my staples.

Have a great night!

Lisa :)
LisaB

Re: Science Lady's Mission

Postby kirstykay » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:21 am

Welcome! You will find this a very helpful and supportive place. I wish you all the best as you begin your journey to restore your health. You can do it!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby willing2believe » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:32 am

Welcome Science lady!
Lisa
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby LisaB » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:35 pm

Thank you for the welcome!
I donated blood the other day and am happy to have some starting numbers to work with!

My blood pressure is 128/84 ( high for me..when I was thinner it was 116/64)

My cholesterol is 223 :( (18 years ago it was 189)

SO, I am going to follow the 10 day plan, first and I will be interested to see my new numbers when I donate blood, again, in 2 months!

Lisa
LisaB

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:57 am

welcome Lisa

I'm impressed with your full time University status. way to go! and isn't it wonderful that you can eat from a food bank and be McDougall compliant? I've had to do the same, and the lady filling my box was thrilled to find someone who would take beans! LOL

keep on doing this. You'll lose and you'll feel SO DANG GOOD.

blessings, Heidi (49 yoa, w/two grandkids and four kids :nod:)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby LisaB » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:30 pm

Thank you, Heidi!

I am so impressed bu your numbers!!! It is very encouraging to see someone my age and close to my weight being successful! I have 3 children (one still at home, a 12 year old boy, and two grandchildren).

Yes, the food bank ladies are always happy to give me the beans no one else wants!

The only thing I am having a hard time giving up is my coffee with a little milk in it. I will, eventually, it is just tough right now.

I went back to school 2 1/2 years ago and love it! I have 15 credits this semester with 2 labs and that keeps very busy!

Lisa :)
LisaB

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning