Lisa's willing to believe

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Lisa's willing to believe

Postby sksamboots » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:47 am

Your doing great. keep on keepin on :nod:
sksamboots

Postby willing2believe » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:40 pm

Yesterday was a long and tiring day. Today has been good but very, very hot. I was going to go to the farmers market but it was in the mid 80's with significant humidity when I woke up at 6 and had a projected high of 103 with a heat index of 115. I decided I just really wasn't up to being outside in that so I didn't go. Probably won't be able to go next week either. It is my weekend on call and the last several have been very busy- at least on Saturdays.

Friday-
B- overnight oatmeal
L- bean burrito
S- veggie sushi
D- baked potato with barbecue, broccoli

Today-
B- Overnight oatmeal (leftover from yesterday), blackberries
L- black bean burger on whole wheat bun, broccoli and carrots
S- sushi, nectarine (wonderful nectarine)
D- baked potato, veggie soup

So, the plan for next week is a fruit or a veggie with every meal. I am not getting in enough veggies on a regular basis. I am also going to prep tomorrow so I eat lunch in the office most days. I need to stop eating out so much. Even though I get a veggie option I am sure it is not always vegan and I doubt it is oil free. At least only lunch has been out this week- movement in the right direction.

Lisa
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby willing2believe » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:46 pm

Had a good day today. My weight is 297 which is down a little more than 3 pounds from last Sunday. Hopefully I will never see a 3 at the beginning of my weight again.

Did a better job of reading labels today when I went shopping and was able to find condiments and marinara sauce without oil. Boy was that hard! Didn't do a good job with lunch though. This is the 3rd time I've had a black bean burger and found out today it has some dairy in it. I guess that from now on I'll make those instead of ordering them out.

B- baked potato, watermelon
L- black bean burger on Whole wheat bun, broccoli, nectarine
S- veggie sushi (this is going to become a weekend only treat)
D- salad with lettuce, strawberries, blue berries, mandarin oranges, walnuts, sprouted grain sourdough bread.

I am having a problem with eating the sushi obsessively so I am going to limit it. If that doesn't work I'll stop it altogether.

Everyone have a great day.

Lisa
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby sksamboots » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:13 pm

i made black bean burgers this weekend. 2 cups black beans, 1/2 cup of oats, 1 cup of brown rice, 1 tablespoon ketcup and 1/4 cup of raw onions, and various spices. So yummy and quick. Your doing great .Keep on keepin on :nod:
sksamboots

Postby Love the Lorax » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:45 pm

Glad you checked in again! Keeping on the right path eating can be hard at times.. don't I know it! I've fallen off many a time but keep getting back up. I feel so much better when I eat well!

LOL - I am jealous! You have normal BP even though you have gained so much weight?! Sigh... My BMI is fine, although my body fat% is too high.. and I am still fighting hypertension! I'm one of those people whose BP jumps up at the slightest thing. When I was in the 160's (pounds) my BP was 166/104. Seriously. Many times. Now it is in the mid 130's / 80's, but I have some minor eye vessel damage from hypertension. I really have to behave myself!
Love the Lorax

Postby willing2believe » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:08 pm

Boots- thanks for the recipe, I'll give it a try. I also copied all of the ones from the recent post on the foods board (I think that's where it was).

Lorax- Yeah- my numbers really are not fair considering the abuse I've put my body thru. I remember going to the doctor for a physical once looking for motivation to eat better. I was actually livid when I found out I couldn't get my motivation there. Well, how about motivation to live longer and feel better.

I actually am looking at my family history for motivation now. All of my grandparents have made it into there 90's (the only currently living one is 93) but the 3 that have passed all died of cardiovascular issues. Two died after having strokes, one of congestive heart failure but he had severe multi-infarct dementia after multiple strokes. My living grandmother has congestive heart failure and severe osteoporosis. My father died of lung cancer at 56 (20 years after he stopped smoking) and my mom has had a thumb amputated for melanoma and has kidney disease. I also have an uncle who has had bypass surgery. Looking at the people I share genetics with and considering that I am the only grossly obese person in the family (that is not married into it) I need to start taking serious care of myself. Actually the multi- infarct dementia scares me the most. It was a terrible disease to watch a brilliant man go thru.

So, today-
B- rice, nectarine
L- baked potato, broccoli, cabbage salad
S- baked potato
D- baked potato, 1c white bean and kale soup
Will probably have a snack of some rice and some frozen veggie.

I found a wonderful roasted raspberry chipotle sauce that I had on my potato at dinner and will probably try on whatever veggies I have for a snack.

Have a great Tuesday

Lisa
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby Anna Green » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:09 pm

Hey, you are doing so well! Congrats on being in the 2's! The journalling and continually looking at what you are doing is good. It's helped me to keep coming back to it even when I fail miserably.
Anna Green

Postby willing2believe » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks for the support Anna.

Well, I was excited to look at the Amazon website this morning and see my book (McD and the Vegan on the Cheap cookbook) were scheduled to be delivered today. Then when I got home- no books :crybaby: . When I went back to the website it looks like the books were still in another state this morning so I have a hard time believing I'll see them before tomorrow. Oh well. I am looking forward to getting my McDougall book because I don't think I am doing this correctly. I know that I have read that it is not possible to do this right and not get enough nutrients but when I input things like today's food into a nutrient tracker I am getting very little protein. By one tracker I'm getting 30 grams and by another only 27. I know I need to stop tracking daily but I don't want to do that before I know I am on the right track. Oh well, one more day won't hurt me.

B- brown rice, nectarine, 5 brussels sprouts
L- salad, baked potato with barbecue sauce, mandarin oranges
S- baked potato
D- will be black bean soup, possibly a slice on whole grain bread, some frozen veggie.

I'm pretty sure that part of getting on the right track includes upping my veggie intake (now that I'm finally eating them at each meal). I don't have to work tomorrow (YEAH!!!) so, I'll go to the grocery store and get lots of varied veggies for a salad and start lunch and dinner with a salad.

Now I'm hungry so I'm going to eat dinner.

Lisa
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby willing2believe » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:01 pm

Had today off and enjoyed it. I spent a good bit of the day shopping and working on organizing closets (not done yet but a good start :? ).

I realized a problem today. Actually I should state I re-realized a problem. Last night at dinner I had a pita bread with my black bean actually I had 3. This morning I had 3 more for breakfast. :shock: They are now gone and I won't buy more. I am a compulsive eater and I know I have a problem with bread (and fat). I have had absolutely no problems with eating compulsively since I started this program so I thought I was safe. I mean it was whole grain and everything. NO MORE BREAD. One exception to that may be sprouted grain bread. It is dense enough that I have never been able to eat more than 2 slices. So, I may give it a try again.

On a positive note I received my books today. Am reading the 12 day program book to make sure I understand the program. I also got the booe "Vegan on the Cheap" that was recommended on another thread and it looks wonderful! I am a cookbook junky.

So today-
B- 3 ww pita bread
L- veggie sushi (this is my only day off until a week from Friday so I am counting it as my weekend!)
S- baked potato, nectarine
D- baked potato, tomatoes.

Lisa
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby sksamboots » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:51 pm

Ya, I don't do good with bread either, so I stick to corn tortillas. Your doing great. Enjoy the books :nod:
sksamboots

Postby willing2believe » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:25 pm

The last several days have been craziness. Hopefully tomorrow will be quieter.

Today I learned the breakfast I think I will eat. I have been trying different breakfasts and keep trying oatmeal because somewhere in my mind I keep thinking I'm supposed to eat oatmeal for breakfast. Well I have liked it in the past and ate it for breakfast every day for 2 years and you know what- today I don't like oatmeal. Now I may change my mind in the future but I don't have to eat oatmeal. Today I had brown rice, steamed spinach and a nectarine for breakfast and it was perfect. It tasted good, was satisfying and I was full until lunch. So for the next little bit that is going to be my breakfast. Until I get sick of it then I'll try something else. Who knows, Maybe oatmeal.

My plan is to take 5 sweet potatoes and 5 baking potatoes with me to the office tomorrow. I'll bake them in our convection oven while I do paperwork and wait to see if I have any visits I have to make. That way I'll have my food for lunch and snacks done and in the office refrigerator for the week. They are also things that I can stick in my car without refrigeration if I think I won't be able to make it back to the office for lunch. That is especially helpful for snacks.

So, that's the plan for tomorrow. I will also weigh. I'm not really expecting a loss as this is my TOM and I usually gain or hold steady that week, even if my food has been good.

Lisa
Last edited by willing2believe on Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby sksamboots » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:13 am

Great job planning and preparing. That's the way to do it. Keep on keepin on :nod:
sksamboots

Postby willing2believe » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:55 pm

Well, how do you like it, I lost 2 pounds this week even though it was my TOM. I got on the scale twice just to make sure it was right. :D I wasn't able to cook my potatoes at work today- the temp on the oven wouldn't come up. I let it warm up for 30 minutes before I gave up. I guess I'll just nuke them this week (I really prefer my potatoes cooked in the oven- just a different texture). I may try to bake them in the crock pot but right now my kitchen isn't very functional (doing some work in there) so it is pretty much what I can fix in the microwave.

Lisa
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby willing2believe » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:24 pm

Good day today. Started to exercise- walked 1 mile with 2 friends. We are starting a build up training to be able to start training for a half marathon in October (the half marathon is in March). One of the things I like about this is that it is laid out for us- day 1 walk 1 mile etc. So this week is 1 mile 6 days. They are going at my pace since I am the most out of shape.

The exercise was a Godsend for me today. I have been having no craving since starting this food plan. However I fully planned a binge for tonight. I was planning to finish my walk and drive to Chili's for a black bean burger for dinner, and I wasn't going to specify steamed, oil free veggies. So, the burger and bun have dairy and egg in them and I was going to see if I got fries and if I did I was going to eat them (every last one of them!). However, after I finished my walk the last thing I wanted was food. I am now getting hungry but I am also home and have no intention of going out to pick up something. I will make something here and since I only have McD legel foods here it won't be a problem.

I also learned something that I think is probably important for me to remember. I get much more full on whole foods than even whole grain processed foods. Since I began this I have been having a been burrito for lunch. Same burrito today but I was hungry very quickly after. Tomorrow I am going to try the bean burrito toppings (minus the brown rice) on top of a baked potato or 2 for lunch and see if I am full longer.

Today-
B- brown rice, steamed spinach, sliced tomato
L- bean burrito
S- baked potato with barbecue sauce
S- veggies and rice (white rice)
D- something from the kitchen.
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby janluvs2heel » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi Lisa,

You are doing so good. I am enjoying reading your Journal.

I just wanted to comment, at the Chili's where I live, in Stockton, Ca., the black bean burgers are fried with oil. I used to eat them, I dont know if it is just this one here or not, but the last time I had one, I was kind of like, hmm, this tastes crunchy. I was almost done before I realized it tasted crunchy because it had been fried in oil. So no more for me, at least not there.

I use corn tortillas, too, spread them with refried beans, the low fat. They have no fat or oil, the other brands that say fat free, they have oil. Go figure. I like them for breakfast & for lunch. Occassionally I have spaghetti, I use whole grain or whole grain bread for a sandwich, I love the garbanzo bean salad, but I am mainly doing MWL so it is infrequent. For dinner, I try to make a nice big salad, add about 1/3 c. of kidney beans, put the peach salsa over it, mix it all up. So good.

Keep up the good work!!!!

Jan
janluvs2heel

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals