Lisa's willing to believe

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Lisa's willing to believe

Postby willing2believe » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:41 am

Yesterday was a good day although ended up having to be flexible. Had planned to come home for lunch but got a text from the woman who does my hair asking if I could come in that morning instead of next week. That meant that I only had an hour after that to eat lunch and drive 30 minutes to my scheduled massage (yeah I had a decadent day yesterday and enjoyed every minute of it). I decided that since I was in the city I would run by Whole foods for lunch. I picked up a Mediterranean Quinoa salad that was wonderful. It is something I would take to potlucks if I could figure out how to make it. I may have to play around with the ingredient list of the dressing to see if I can figure out what proportions things are supposed to be in. I am really bad at that so if anyone tends to be good at that let me know.

I learned a couple of things with that salad. The first is that nutritional yeast really does taste like cheese- who knew (I really thought you people had just not had cheese in so long that you didn't remember- much like the soy cheese people have tried to get me to eat in the past :duh: ). I kept looking at the salad trying to find the cheese even though they assured me it was vegan. I finally found nutritional yeast in the ingredient list. Yeah!!! Also- I tried a peach, barley, and kale salad that was very good but had a very peppery taste. Is that the kale? I've never had it before. Not sure I liked it but will try it in a couple of other things.

I had reason to go back into the city at the end of the day so I went back by WFM and picked up enough of the quinoa salad for several meals this week and picked up a vegan stew for lunch today.

Saturday-
B- baked potato, pineapple
L- Mediterranean quinoa salad, sample of peach, kale, barley salad, peach
d- whole grain pancakes with maple syrup

Today-
b- baked potato, pineapple, pink grapefruit
l- planned seitan stew over baked potato
d- planned Mediterranean quinoa salad, green salad with fig infused balsamic vinegar

I weighed today- 300.4 which is down 5.4 pounds from last Sunday. I am happy but a little disappointed that I am not below 300. I am looking forward to seeing a 3 at the beginning of my weight for the last time.

Lisa
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby sksamboots » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:33 am

Congrats on the weight loss :D !!!

Hopefully someone can help you out with the salads. I'm surprised they didn't have oil, most Whole foods prepared foods have oil in them, that's great that they don't.

As far as being out and about during the day. Sometimes I will take some baked potatoes, put them in my purse and eat them in the car. That way I always have them on hand and don't have any excuse. Also, I will take cut up veggies and munch on them in the car too, if I'm out in the field all day.

Your doing great. Keep on keepin on :nod:
sksamboots

Postby willing2believe » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:24 am

sksamboots wrote:Congrats on the weight loss :D !!!

Hopefully someone can help you out with the salads. I'm surprised they didn't have oil, most Whole foods prepared foods have oil in them, that's great that they don't.

Your doing great. Keep on keepin on :nod:

Thanks sksamboots! The salads were part of the "Health Starts Here" program which follows the guidelines of Dr. Fuhrman or the Engine 2 Diet. Proof that eating healthy can taste wonderful.

Lisa
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby willing2believe » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:04 pm

Very hungry today. I was starving mid afternoon and ate what I planned for dinner. Then for dinner had steamed broccoli, cabbage salad and 1/2 baked sweet potato. I was very full after that but the way I am feeling now I will probably finish the sweet potato soon. (and I am not usually an evening eater). Oh well, will just trust the plan- it says that I'm OK if I eat starches and veggies when hungry. Right?

Lisa
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby sksamboots » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:22 pm

I'm so jealous of your Whole foods!!!

Yes, eat if you are hungry--that's what the plan is about. Never depriving ourselves :nod:
sksamboots

Postby willing2believe » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:33 pm

sksamboots wrote:I'm so jealous of your Whole foods!!!
:

See and I've been a little disappointed in my Whole Foods. From what I've seen on the web many WFM are going all out with this. Classes, supper clubs and signs through out the store that point to healthy options. Ours had a flyer that I picked up and has some of the food in there deli section (not marked). I called after reading the flyer and spoke to the marketing person who said they would not be doing more because we are such a small store but told me that she was available to help when needed. I found the salads and stew by accident but the labels that printed did state they were part of the program and the ingredient list made a point of stating that they were oil free.

Who knows your WFM may be doing at least as much as mine is.

On the plus side, that is how I ended up here. I went to the Eat Right America site (Dr. Fuhrman's site with WFM) and the message board is very quiet. So, I went looking around, found this and remembered doing this many years ago. So, here I am.

Lisa
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby willing2believe » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:31 pm

Today was a normal day. That is probably a good thing- that I can let this way of eating be part of a normal day. I took the suggestion of having a baked potato with me in the car for a snack and that worked great. Thanks. I also tried sushi for the first time in years (didn't like it the first time) and it was great.

B- Mediterranean quinoa salad, grapefruit
L- baked potato with barbecue sauce, cabbage salad, brocolli
S- baked potato with barbecue sauce
D- veggie sushi, asparagus salad (small amount, not very good), strawberries
S- will probably have 1/2 a baked sweet potato in just a minute

Lisa
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:05 pm

Hey Lisa

It's fun to see a new person, and the amazement at how MUCH you eat to feel full. That doesn't last forever, though. Or at least, it no longer seems like all that much food to me. But I did feel like I was eating double and triple portions to begin with.

You'll be below that magic 300 before you know it! :nod: Keep on going, and keep on coming here.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby willing2believe » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:14 pm

Today went well. I was livid at lunch time so ate little and then only because I told myself I had to.

B- WW tortilla with natural peanut butter, blueberries
L- baked potato with barbecue sauce
S- veggie sushi, 2 bites of peach (it felt and smelled ripe- not so much)
D- baked potato with barbecue sauce, grape tomatoes

I have got to get more veggies into my day. Oh well, plan better.

Lisa
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby willing2believe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:52 pm

Had a good day today. Probably need to give the sushi a rest for a while but will probably find myself eating it several more times this week. It's just convenient.

b- baked sweet potato, pink grapefruit
l- bean burrito
s- veggie sushi
d- baked potato with barbecue sauce, green beans with balsamic vinegar.

Lisa
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby willing2believe » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:36 pm

Things went well today. I spoke to my exercise partner (we had been weight lifting but it became hard because she has bad knees) and I think we are going to train to walk a local half marathon. The training program is great because there is a build up period for people who haven't done this before and it starts in 2 weeks with 1 mile. I did this the last time I lost weight but had been walking for several months before the training build up began so I chose to train for the full marathon. Went from 260# and walking 2 miles at a stretch in August to 200# and crossing the finish line after 26.2 in March. I felt great. I do not have the endurance because I haven't been walking to even try 26.2 this time- plus for a walker marathon training takes over your life the last couple months. We will have to see if T's knees will take it or not- she is thin and otherwise in good shape so maybe- plus she will be walking at my speed instead of hers which will be sub max. If not I'll have to find the motivation to continue it on my own. Once we get back into the exercise habit we will probably start weight lifting again- or I will if she can't.

Food for today-
B- baked potato with barbecue sauce, grape tomatoes
L- black bean burger on Whole wheat bun, steamed broccoli and carrots
D- quinoa salad with tomatoes, onions, and spinach

It was a good day and I am full. Probably no snack today.
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby sksamboots » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:47 am

Your doing great. keep on keepin on :nod:
sksamboots

Postby willing2believe » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:40 pm

Yesterday was a long and tiring day. Today has been good but very, very hot. I was going to go to the farmers market but it was in the mid 80's with significant humidity when I woke up at 6 and had a projected high of 103 with a heat index of 115. I decided I just really wasn't up to being outside in that so I didn't go. Probably won't be able to go next week either. It is my weekend on call and the last several have been very busy- at least on Saturdays.

Friday-
B- overnight oatmeal
L- bean burrito
S- veggie sushi
D- baked potato with barbecue, broccoli

Today-
B- Overnight oatmeal (leftover from yesterday), blackberries
L- black bean burger on whole wheat bun, broccoli and carrots
S- sushi, nectarine (wonderful nectarine)
D- baked potato, veggie soup

So, the plan for next week is a fruit or a veggie with every meal. I am not getting in enough veggies on a regular basis. I am also going to prep tomorrow so I eat lunch in the office most days. I need to stop eating out so much. Even though I get a veggie option I am sure it is not always vegan and I doubt it is oil free. At least only lunch has been out this week- movement in the right direction.

Lisa
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby willing2believe » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:46 pm

Had a good day today. My weight is 297 which is down a little more than 3 pounds from last Sunday. Hopefully I will never see a 3 at the beginning of my weight again.

Did a better job of reading labels today when I went shopping and was able to find condiments and marinara sauce without oil. Boy was that hard! Didn't do a good job with lunch though. This is the 3rd time I've had a black bean burger and found out today it has some dairy in it. I guess that from now on I'll make those instead of ordering them out.

B- baked potato, watermelon
L- black bean burger on Whole wheat bun, broccoli, nectarine
S- veggie sushi (this is going to become a weekend only treat)
D- salad with lettuce, strawberries, blue berries, mandarin oranges, walnuts, sprouted grain sourdough bread.

I am having a problem with eating the sushi obsessively so I am going to limit it. If that doesn't work I'll stop it altogether.

Everyone have a great day.

Lisa
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby sksamboots » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:13 pm

i made black bean burgers this weekend. 2 cups black beans, 1/2 cup of oats, 1 cup of brown rice, 1 tablespoon ketcup and 1/4 cup of raw onions, and various spices. So yummy and quick. Your doing great .Keep on keepin on :nod:
sksamboots

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals