Loveskale's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Loveskale's Journal

Postby simoncat » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:44 am

Hi, LK. Hope you are better today! What is zataar (the stuff you put on your toast with garlic)? Do you like the black kale? I have never had it and was wondering, does it taste different than the green? I don't have a CSA, but it sounds like you get a lot of interesting veggies.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/whvr8sU/]
[/url]
simoncat

Postby kittyadventures » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:54 am

HI Loveskale.. thanks for the links

and hmmm time to go order my CSA for the winter.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby Loveskale » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:16 pm

Black kale is sweet tasting, almost like a kale-parsley cross.

Zataar is a middle eastern spice blend. It is desert thyme, sumac, toasted sesame seeds, and marjoram.

It's wonderful to serve on pita with cropped onions and tomatoes and bake them. I haven't done this, so I serve it on toast. I was going to make roasted garlic toast but it just wasn't quite right, so I added the zataar and it was terriffic.

I love middle eastern food and I am sorry I don't make it more. Tabouli made with quinoa instead of cous cous is just fantastic! :)

Now I just need to figure out how to make falafel...
My recipes are posted at: http://www.Flickr.com/Loveskale
Loveskale

Postby Loveskale » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:24 pm

Today was a good day. Still fighting off this cold.

B: Blueberry smoothie
L: HUGE salad w/ tomatoes and herb-vinegar
D: Cilantro-lime Rice, sweet potato-blackbean-black kale mix, fresh salsa, and some guac
D: My sister came home with lady grey tea and I had some. I absolutely love it. Another smoothie. Chamomile tea w/ honey

TWO big successes today.

1) I made my dinner 100% salt free. It is incredible to see how tasty food is when you don't add salt. You can TASTE all the vegetables in the food. It's like a hwole world opens up. I've also discovered that I don't like guac salt-free, so that might be incentive to stop eating it. Avocados can be really terrible up here in Canada. :|

2) I want to a movie theatre and I DIDN'T eat popcorn. YAY ME! It actually didn't smell any good at all. Likr burnt and salt.

My sister has been eating more vegetarian foods. She told me today that she is an open the can and empty it into hte pot kind of girl and not really into cooking. However, she realises that processed foods aggrovate her migraines. So I described Jeff Novick's Fast Food DVD to her, and she LOVES the idea. I am so happy about this. She's even getting serious about cutting out dairy.
Loveskale

Postby sksamboots » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:43 am

This is great progress. Keep on keepin on :nod:
sksamboots

Postby simoncat » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:35 am

Hey, KA, that is great about your sister. Now, she can join you more and you can help each other. Wish I had someone to share my eating with more and talk about things to make together.

For the love of tea, I should have known you are Canadian. I love Canada and actually got to live near Vancouver, BC for a year because of my hubby's job at the time. The people there were absolutely wonderful to us. However, I've always wanted to go to north eastern Canada - Quebec and Montreal. Anyway, enjoy your tea. Have you ever been to Victoria, BC?

Sounds like you are doing well. I know it's hard to cut back on salt. I've got to work on that too.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/whvr8sU/]
[/url]
simoncat

Postby kittyadventures » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:34 am

LK how wonderful for you and your sister. I hope she finds her way to this way of eating.

IT is really nice to have someone to share with.

kittyadventures

Postby Loveskale » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:06 pm

SC- I was there last August! It was so beautiful. If you think the people there are nice, the people out East will blow you away, especially in the Maritimes. People in Quebec tend to be a little pushy though, and traffic is terrible. However, the cities are so beautiful and so full of history. Especially Quebec City. If you ever get a chance, Cape Breton Island and PEI are spectacular, they do lean a little heavy on the fish out there though.

KA- I am going slowly with her. It took Dr. Greger's speak and someone's "30 day to vegan" book to change her mind. It turns out that me being GF is what stopped her before. She's happy being vegan if she can make pizza, pita bread etc. She's not oil-free, but she is cutting back on processed foods. I'll accept any positive changes she makes.

Boots- You are a real inspiration. Thank you.

After 1 day of cutting out salt, I am noticing my tastes changing already. I had a coffee this morning to realise it was just burnt, sugar, and almond milk. It may take a couple more times before I get it in my head, but I hope it doesn't take that long. I find it great that you can TASTE YOUR FOOD when there's no salt in it. I really understand what Boots was saying.
Loveskale

Postby Loveskale » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:12 am

I forgot to post yesterday.

B: GF pumpernickel bread
L: Cilantro-lime rice w/ black-bean, sweet potato, and kale, topped with salsa and salad on the side.
D: Same, photo and recipe on FlickR
S: GF pumpernickel bread
D: Coffee, green tea

This was the one coffee that I couldn't finish. I didn't one another this morning. I am going to do my best to drink only water. My hair is falling out a little more than usual, and I think Simoncat is right and it is the green tea. I am going to extend my no processed food challenge and cut out caffeine too.

So, we have Thanksgiving in Canada this coming Monday. I plan to do it almost 100% McDougall legal (there will be a coup in my house if I don't serve dressing). The reason why I'm doing this is the reason why I'm on the plan: to get healthy. I have worked hard to control my IBS and I am not going to ruin it now. Though, I might have some dessert, I am making mine oil-free except for some chocolate chips. I think people are being controlling because I'm nervous about what they are bringing, we will all be vegetarians, just the others aren't oil free.

I will post a photo on Flickr, with a few recipes, maybe I can give people ideas for their Thanksgiving. :)
Loveskale

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:24 am

Where did you find GF pumpernickel bread? I love pumpernickel.
Gramma Jackie

Postby kittyadventures » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:06 am

Yummmm Pumpernickle bread... this is one of those kind of things I truely love.

Pumpernickle bread with mustard and pretty much what ever else you want on there.

THe rye flour is very low gluten, especially if you do a rough grind.. I would think using a sorgham or potato flour or corn flour as the second flour, would keep it very low gluten.
But gluten Free? I want to get some of this...

As to the vegetarian Thanks Giving Looking forward to your recipes and suggestions.

I am a guest at some one elses house so I uusually confine myself to tons of salad , waht ever vegetable they are serving with it and the sweet potatoes.

It makes it a feast day for me becuase of all the sugar and teh small amount of oil in the sweet potato dish. But to have a whole meal gluten free and McDougal Legal is an intrigueing thought.

kittyadventures

Postby Loveskale » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi everyone!

I believe I can repeat the pumpernickel recipe, and if I do I will post the recipe ASAP for all of you. I am not sure what originally goes into pumpernickel, but this stuff is good, and leans a little of the sweet side.

I was going to do dressing, but I decied against it. It is hard to do GF and I really want to stay McD legal. Suffice it to say I might switch the menu up a few times before Monday.

Today going salt-free is fine, going caffeine-free is not cool.

B: Hashbrowns with NO salt
L: Salad with herb vinegar, I started eating my rice and beans but couldn't finish them. :-(
D: "Cream" of jerusalem artichoke, potato, mushroom soup, I tried adding salt and soy sauce but it didn't taste right. I wm happier without.
S: Peanut butter Larabar, apple
D: WATER

I am not feeling good today, not sure if I'm coming down with something or not. I hope I'm not since I have a lot to do this weekend. I just have headache and nausea.
Loveskale

Postby kittyadventures » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:09 am

LK hope it is just a headache and you feel better this afternoon.

Nausea and headache sucks.

My Mom used to make a sweet potato stuffing. I believe it is gluten free.

I will see if I have her recipe somewhere.

IT was really delicious too.

kittyadventures

Postby kittyadventures » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:32 am

HI Loves Kale

Okay I found the sweet potato dressing
I am going to give you the recipe as it is in her book.
THis is not McDougal and definately not vegan or even vegetarian. :(

but I am going to give it to you as she had it, that way you can modify yourself.

I see it has bacon in it but I believe she omited this at least later on but it has been so long since I had it I am not sure. I just remember the yummy sweet potatoness of it. and we allreally liked it.

I only got this recipe after she passed away and I just recently went through the papers I got from her.

anyway here it is. I think I am going to try to make a modified version of it this year for me.

Sweet Potato Dressing
4 cups of sweet potatoes mashed, While hot stir in 2 Tablespoons of butter or margarine, 1+1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp paprika, 1/3Cup cream or evap milk, 2Cups soft bread crumbs, 2 whole eggs, 3 slices chopped up bacon, 1/4 c chopped onion, 1/2 cup chopped celery, 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley Mix all together and bake for 45 Minutes or until brown.

Things to note.. 45 minutes was for high altitude.. so if you are at a regular level, anywhere but near the mountains you may want to check it at about 30-35 minutes.
I think this will work great with gluten free bread as the bread crumbs because the texture of the finished dressing is more like a bread pudding...
Myself I would change the milk to an almond, rice or soy milk, and trade the eggs for one of those egg replacer things or you could use a thickener in it of some kind maybe a bit of Xanthan or guar gum.

IF you want the bacony flavor you could add either some liquid smoke or some vegan bacon...

I cannot have the liquid smoke becaue it really irritates my tummy.

Anyway I think I am going to give this a whirl this weekend to see if I can get a reasonable vegan style one.

kittyadventures

Postby Loveskale » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:26 pm

KA, thanks so much for sharing the recipe! I will consider it, if I don't make it for Thanksgiving I will definitely make it sometime in the future.

You know what KA, I think I am the only person in the world who never liked bacon. I never try to replace it, but I think those are good suggestions.

My sister wants a vegetarian bacon replacement recipe, and I am not very good at this, onviously because I never liked bacon I never ate much of it.

Someone who is coming to our Thanksgiving wants me to make a protein dish, and I am stumped. I want something simple but anything with beans is not simple with what I already have planned.
Loveskale

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals