Raven's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Raven's Journal

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:49 pm

Hi Raven

as always, your menu sounds yummy! Me, it was all pistachios, all day long ha! however, I did serve up the minestrone from Christmas Eve, so everyone got a tummy full of some real food along with the feasty sugary, rich stuff.

That stollen...hm, that might be the way I'll go for New Year's, now I think about it. hm. I haven't baked bread for awhile..hm...

it sounds like your Christmas Day was a lovely one! And sane, food-wise. very good!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby raven » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:34 am

Seestorcoo and Heidi, Thanks so much for visiting.

We watched Fantasia last night, which we didn't get to on Christmas because of the camera problem.

I just realized i didn't think of the richer food i had on Christmas Day at all yesterday... never once thought of the Christmas cookies! That's never happened the day after a good meal before!

Saturday's Meals:
green bancha tea

leftover tempeh and risotto
stollen
orange
green bancha tea

salad with lettuce, carrot, cucumber, tofu Italian dressing
creamy tomato rice soup
pecan pie with low fat gluten free crust, made at my husband's request, and not a success
green bancha tea x 2

raspberry tea

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Raven
raven

Postby sksamboots » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:11 pm

Your doing great. Keep on keepin on :-D
sksamboots

Postby raven » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:13 am

Hi sksamboots, It's nice to see you.

I worked all day, and had the luxury (at least it seems that way to me right now) of eating leftovers instead of cooking something for my main meal. I didn't even take a walk so i could get more done.

I've cut my caffeine back from what i was having since a week of bad migraines. I waited until i had the time to deal with the migraines i often get when i cut caffeine, but so far i haven't had but a tiny one. Mostly i just replaced the black tea i was having in the morning with green tea. A cup of black tea is supposed to have about 40 mg. caffeine, and green just 20.

Sunday's Meals:
green bancha tea

pasta with three greens, tomato sauce, and tofu
orange
green bancha tea x 2

pasta with three greens, tomato sauce, and tofu
creamy tomato brown rice soup
salad with tomato basil dressing
apple
green bancha tea

plum tea
raven

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:41 pm

It sounds like you had some pretty tasty leftovers!

Good to hear you're resuming post-Christmas without missing a beat. :D
Ege Bamyasi

Postby raven » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:04 am

Hi Kirk, Thanks for visiting.

I am very excited because my husband has agreed to try MP (McDougall Program) and mostly MWL for three weeks. I started a journal about him at McDougall Talk.

He is a pretty fussy eater, so for him it will mostly be starch and plain veggies. He wants to increase beans very slowly. His triglycerides are a little high, so he should just eat 2 servings of fruit a day. I think this will be really hard for him. He eats a lot of sugar in a day. He has been vegetarian in the past but stopped when he developed so many allergies that there wasn't anything he wanted to eat. He also believes in a low carb diet.

I threw out or hid anything not MWL.

I have stopped black tea and had only a very small migraine. In a few days i will cut back one cup of green tea.

Monday's Meals:
green bancha tea

veggie soup with 1 c. black beans and brown rice
persimmon and orange - probably closer to 2 servings of fruit
green bancha tea

yam with carrot, cauliflower, zucchini, kale, green pepper, and onion, and barbecue sauce (homemade, so only 1 t. sugar per serving)
apple
green bancha tea x 2

Tazo Wild Sweet Orange tea

May you convince your loved ones and friends to follow the best eating plan and lifestyle there is.
Raven
raven

Postby WeeSpeck » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi Raven,

That is so great that your husband is going to try this out. Ahh! I am really curious how that goes especially as to how it affects his tastes and how he feels.

My family are mostly willing participants in this (mostly because I do the cooking and can be very uncompromising at times). But, they thank me all the time for the awesome results they are seeing in their own health and bodies.
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

I am but a wee speck in the big picture of the universe.
WeeSpeck

Postby talkingmountain » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:04 pm

Hi Raven, that's great news about your husband! Hope he finds it to his liking. Will he have blood drawn before & after so he can see how his triglycerides & cholesterol changed?

Sorry I haven't checked in in a while, it's been a bit crazy. Your food plans sound so good. Have you ever considered writing up McD-legal weekly menus for others (like brain-dead working moms who can't think of anything to cook :-D )? I'd be willing to pay for it if someone would create a simple weekly menu & shopping list, and I bet I'm not alone!

Anyway, sounds like you are doing great. Take care & happy new year!
Cured: severe reflux, chronic pain, pre-diabetes. More to come!
Join me at my McDougall journal, "Recommitting" http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29811
talkingmountain

Postby raven » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:31 am

Hi Nancy, It's been hard not believing in the same food lifestyle as my family. I always think that difficult things are because of past bad karma, and so part of me is glad that i am finally burning it up! But how nice to have your family with you, more or less. I am becoming so aware of how doing the same thing over and over again wears a path that then becomes easier and easier to follow. I think you are helping your family make that path.

Hi Talking Mountain, Well, it was you who got me started on Low Fat Vegan Cooking, (address in my signature line) so now it is you who is giving me a needed push to write menus - and grocery lists? I will try to start doing this in my blog in the new year. As with starting my website, i have thought about it, but i hadn't really thought anybody would be interested.

We were out all day and it was just horrendous, as it often is for me. The only thing i ate off plan was a piece of candied pineapple. It was very good.

I need to get back in the habit of making veggie sticks to munch on.

Tuesday's Menus:
blueberry green tea

veggie soup with potatoes and miso
orange

green bancha tea x 2

potato, veggies, and barbecue spice
apple

candied pineapple

green bancha tea

May everyone prepare their hearts and minds for a new beginning in anything that they need to improve.
Raven
raven

Postby talkingmountain » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:34 pm

raven wrote:Hi Talking Mountain, Well, it was you who got me started on Low Fat Vegan Cooking, (address in my signature line) so now it is you who is giving me a needed push to write menus - and grocery lists? I will try to start doing this in my blog in the new year. As with starting my website, i have thought about it, but i hadn't really thought anybody would be interested.

That was me who got you started??? Well heck, I had no idea, but I'm glad to take the blame for that one! We all love your food blog.

Seriously, people pay good money for a weekly menu w/shopping list... just check out The 5-O'clock Scramble and SavingDinner.com for a couple of examples. Not one of them has a low-fat vegan menu out there, as far as I can tell, and I've tried googling every possible word combination I can think of.

Anyway, it sounds like you're having fun. How's the hubbie experiment going? (Hmmm, taken out of context, that question could be assumed to be way different than I meant it :-P ). If he can't love McD foods with your cooking talents, he's probably a lost cause!
Cured: severe reflux, chronic pain, pre-diabetes. More to come!
Join me at my McDougall journal, "Recommitting" http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29811
talkingmountain

Postby raven » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:11 am

Hi Talking Mountain. In the About Me section of LFVC, i thank you for the idea of starting it. I'll have to put in a note thanking you for the idea to do menus.

My husband has not noticed any improvements yet, but he had a good day. He has chronic fatigue syndrome, celiac disease, and Hashimoto's thyroidosis. He feels bad a lot of the time. Maybe he will have more good days. You can follow his progress in Mac's Journal in the member journal sections of:

http://mcdougalltalk.com

I have said here before that i often do better if i do something that is good for me because it is good for somebody else. I often take a walk because our dog, Mellon, needs it. So it is no surprise that i have decided to take a longer walk now so that Mac gets more exercise. We used to go about 45 minutes a day, but i am so busy that several months ago i cut it back to 30... and if i have a lot to do, i skip more than the one day a week i allow myself to skip.

I am wondering if i can eat just the simple meal that Mac prefers. I usually like several veggies mixed up together, at least a couple of raw veggies in sticks or in a salad, and a nice sauce and salad dressing with those. My husband likes very simple, plain food. he grew up on TV dinners. I grew up on a lot of gourmet cooking. I have been just cooking one veggie for him and Mellon separate from my mixes, but now that he's eating the starches too, i am wondering if we could eat the same food, with maybe just a different sauce. He doesn't like anything with cooked onion unless it is sauteed in oil.

Today i cut my caffeine by one cup of green tea a day. I already have a headache just thinking about it. But they go away within four days, and are usually not bad as long as i am still having some caffeine.

Wednesday's Meals:
blueberry green tea

oatmeal, almond milk, and 1 1/2 t. sugar
green bancha tea

rice cakes
green bancha tea

Moroccan veggies with preserved lemon, quinoa, and miso - about 2 T... i shouldn't have more than 1 1/2 t. for the sodium
apple
green bancha tea

chocolate mint truffle tea - Mighty Leaf

May the last day of the year be a good one for all of us. May we look forward to a future of health, compassion, and happiness.
Raven
raven

Postby raven » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:14 am

Happy New Year!

My wish for each of you is:

May you be well, happy, and peaceful.
May no harm come to you.
May no difficulties come to you.
May no problems come to you.
May you always meet with success.
May you also have patience,courage, and understanding to meet and
overcome the inevitable difficulties, problems, and failures in life.

(Loving Kindness prayer, Theravadan version)

May you have everything you need.
May you have everything you truly want.
May you live in compassion, wisdom, and health.
May you work hard and rest well.
May you be the best that you can be.
May you always have love, creativity, kindness, and joy.

May this year be a good one for you, and at the end of it, may you
find that you have made progress in each area of your life.

Thank you so much for being here and traveling this path to health and well-being with me.
Raven
raven

Postby raven » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:27 am

On the last day of the year, i followed what has now become my standard, habit, normal, accepted, and well-liked way of eating: low fat no oil vegan McDougall plant based food.

It was the full moon, so i followed my Buddhist practice of uposatha or 8 Precepts Day, in which, among things, i only eat one meal before noon. It was a special meal, to celebrate the passing of the old year, and the coming of the new year.

Thursday's Meal:
green bancha tea x 3

Thai jasmine brown rice
Thai veggies - eggplant, cauliflower, zucchini, carrot, and scallions
Thai baked tofu - 3 1/2 oz.
roggenbrot - rye and whole wheat bread
pineapple, grape, and persimmon with agave and pickled ginger
fruitcake with almonds and walnuts

raspberry tea
sugar cookie tea with 1 t. sugar

Wishing you a delicious and healthy new year.
Raven
raven

Postby raven » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:50 am

Hello Fellow McDougallers, Journalers, and Guests:

Yesterday there was a problem with our computers, and my husband had to reinstall Windows on one of them - again. He just did it a month or so ago. Last time we lost all our bookmarks, and i had to put them all in again, which took an hour and a half. This time we got them all saved in a place where they wouldn't be damaged, plus i wrote them all down when i put them in last time - i am old fashioned, and do not trust computers as much as my husband does, so i use pen and paper too.

Meanwhile i had a big post to write for LFVC, and i had to use my husband's frustrating laptop, which didn't have any of my many changes on it.

It was a frustrating day, but we had a nice meal, a good walk, and i played ball with Mellon. Our first German Shepherd Jewel was a great lover of balls and sticks, and would endlessly bring them back to you if you tossed them. Mellon sort of got it but was never too thrilled with it. We took her over to a friend's dog who retrieved, and let her watch him, then took her home and tried it ourselves. She got it, but then i got real busy and didn't keep it up. So yesterday i got out a tennis ball and tossed it for her. She needed some encouragement, but she brought it back. Again and again. Good Dog! I am determined to do this almost every day. Mellon needs a lot more interesting things in her life.

For the holiday, i had black tea and juice, which are not on MP (McDougall Program) and extra sugar, soymilk and nuts, which are, but not for every day. I used only whole wheat flour, and lower fat and lower protein almond milk in the cornbread, and had lots of vegetables, and it was all vegan, with no oil.

I have recently started not wanting to eat after lunch, so i only have two meals a day.

New Year's Day's Meals:
rose petal black tea, sugar, soymilk

Thai jasmine rice
Thai veggies
Thai tofu (3.5 oz.)
persimmon
chocolate mint tea

Confetti Salad - cabbage, carrot, red radish, broccoli, lemon, agave
yam, broccoli, mustard greens
black eyed peas with carrots and celery
gluten free low fat cornbread made with almond milk
blackberry crisp made with whole wheat flour and almond meal
green bancha tea

green bancha tea

sparkling apple juice - i could only finish half the bottle (5 oz.)

I hope everyone's New Year got off to a great start. But as my mother tells me completely without anyone teaching me, as a small child i used to say to her:

A bad start means a good ending
Raven
raven

Postby raven » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:25 am

Here it is already the third day of the new year.

I had a hard day yesterday, but didn't eat anything i hadn't planned. Since October 21st, i have had not oil, and have only had some black tea and juice that is not on MP (the McDougall Program) at least for the occasional feast day. I sometimes have extra sugar or salt, especially miso.

Yesterday i was cooking lunch and then i realized that i was making beans again even though i had already had a cup for breakfast. I didn't think the burritos would be good without them but i only had 1/2 c. This happened because i was not cooking what i had planned, because i didn't have time.

I also had extra tamari in the veggies.

My blood pressure was 148 over 94.

Saturday's Meals:
cornbread
green tea

yam, black eyed peas
confetti salad - cabbage, broccoli, carrot, radish, lemon, 1 t. agave
persimmon and pineapple canned in juice
twig tea

sauteed veggie burritos with black beans, brown rice, whole grain corn tortillas, peppers, carrot, zucchini
blackberry tapioca pudding made with almond milk
green tea x 2

May we all get off to a good start this new years, and may we be able to maintain our good intentions all year.
Raven
raven

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals