Caroveggie's 5K Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Caroveggie » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:46 pm

biked home, so I finally got some exercise. It wasn't too bad out, but still cool.
Caroveggie

Postby sksamboots » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:49 pm

Yay for biking!! :-D
sksamboots

Postby Letha.. » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:26 pm

Hi Caroveggie,
Modern dance – how fabulous. I hope you do it and tell us all about it and make YouTube videos of your dancing and put links on the forum so we all can see. :)
Letha

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby Caroveggie » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:01 pm

Hi guys, sorry for the slow response. I went to Utah to visit family for Thanksgiving. Cold weather there, but lots of fun with them.

I'm wondering about that 5K in my journal title since I haven't run for quite some time. I ran this afternoon to catch a bus, but it doesn't count. Anyway, I'm ready to get back into exercise. I've also been avoiding the gym and eating out too much. I haven't taken the modern dance class yet. Need to switch from eating out to preparing healthy food more so I'll have more $ to devote to classes.

Kinda miss running, even though it could also be a time hassle and sometimes a drag. It also feels good when things are going right (empty but not hungry belly, decent weather conditions, enough energy, etc.)

Thus stands my life. I really feel like having a potato with nutritional yeast but I think I'm all out. (Of the nutritional yeast.) There's some at work but I think I ate it all here.

Hope things are going well for everyone.
Caroveggie

getting off restaurant food

Postby Caroveggie » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:48 pm

thought I'd compile a list of some of my favorite healthier meals for future reference (and to keep me in line when I'm tempted to get restaurant food, my weakness.) Like many here, I've realized I've been too carefree, careless, blind, whathaveyou, and have neglected to remain true to McDougall principles, unfortunately feeling the consequences of that now. Did you guys know gnocchi has eggs in it? Unless you make it yourself, yup it does. Also, pesto has parmesan and oil.. Too bad, really love that stuff. It's a bit of a hassle to make your own too. Anyway, enough yakking..

- Amy's fat-free veggie soup
- potato, chopped, nuked, with garlic herbimare (which is like a garlicky seasoning salt)
- sweet potato infused with a little brown sugar (ok, haven't actually done the brown sugar thing but Kirk was talking about it, sounds good.)
- black bean vegan chili with sweet potato
- brown rice bowl with garlic herbimare and soy sauce, and broccoli
- chickpeas, just chickpeas, I love chickpeas
- bananas and oatmeal (this cafe near my work makes yummy oatmeal. Usually I'm not too much of a fan, but they make it well.)
- salad with candied walnuts. how bad are candied walnuts? I really really like them. If the salad has candied walnuts I don't even need the dressing. Maybe a little lemon juice.

My foray into intense restaurant food eating has really opened my eyes about how rich the food is, the amount of oil, hidden dairy, eggs, etc. Time to get better.

So I also want to add more berries because of their antioxidants. They have stuff in them that'll help you fight cancer. I remember reading in the Anticancer book about it. Too bad cherries aren't year-round. They're probably my favorite food. I can subsist on cherries alone I think. Well, ok, maybe not entirely, but I really like them.

Sad we subsidize meat and dairy, foods which promote cancer, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, etc. and not berries, veggies, or starches (except those that are for feeding the cattle, pigs, or chickens). Well, maybe there is some subsidy for healthy foods (for humans). I hope there is.

Also I'm going to try to replace my soy chai with green tea. This is a tuffy for me, since I really really really like soy chais. But I think they have too much sugar, which is not good for the body. I like green tea just plain, which is good, because that's another one that'll help fight cancer.

Anyway, time to finish my late dinner and get to bed. It's veggie soup tonight.
Caroveggie

Postby WeeSpeck » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:00 pm

Cherries are my favorite food too. I'll pay any price when they are in season. Love them!

I like your compiled list of favorite meals. That is really a good plan. I love going out to eat too, but then I ask myself what can I make at home that would be similar but healthier than the restaurant food I crave? I should do a list for myself like you did.
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

I am but a wee speck in the big picture of the universe.
WeeSpeck

Postby Caroveggie » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:04 pm

Thanks for visiting. The list helps but I gotta remember to look at it! It's difficult when I'm cold, tired, and hungry and just want something convenient. I definitely prefer summer. Cherries are available, the sun is out, life is good.

I had chickpeas for breakfast, potato for lunch, and dinner was not the best Thai in the world. But my belly is full.

Walked a little today, did some gift shopping. I'm looking forward to the weekend since friends from Michigan will be visiting and I get to see the baby and also another friend is having a wedding banquet.

As far as exercise, I'm thinking a bike ride this weekend would be good for me. I hope it warms up just a tad, or at least isn't too windy.

I'm really sleepy, it's taking me forever to write this. Happy McDougalling!
Caroveggie

Postby sksamboots » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:45 pm

Sounds like a fun weekend. Keep on keepin on :-D
sksamboots

Postby Caroveggie » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:02 am

:) Funny you say that because that's really what I need to do! Keep on keeping on. Ok, really need to sleep now.
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:06 pm

I spent the weekend in the East Bay and didn't get my bike out. I had fun though. I still feel like riding although it's pretty nippy out.
Caroveggie

Postby sksamboots » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:38 pm

Fun is the most important thing, glad you had a good weekend :-D
sksamboots

checking in

Postby Caroveggie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:52 pm

Not sure when I last posted, but I thought I'd check in. Posting daily didn't work out. I'm thinking I should rename my journal, although I like keeping this one to remind me of when I ran the 5K.

I found out today Muni passes are up to $60 and then you have to pay $10 more to get the SF BART part of it. This is up from $55 and just a little before that it was $45 a month. So this is getting pricey. All this works out really well for me though since I spend too much money sometimes and have gotten out of shape.

So now I'm biking and not buying a muni pass this month! Might kinda suck though sometimes. But overall should be ok. I have a friend who bikes everywhere, she's always in shape. It's making me rethink my bike though, since mine isn't really lightweight. It folds in half though, which is handy, and the handle bars are high enough so I don't have to lean over too much (I have neck issues.)

I'm hungry so I think I'm gonna get some brussel sprouts and maybe a lentil soup... yumm..

I think I'll be like sksamboots and try to write in at least once a week. Sometimes I have more time to read journals than others, so once a week should be ok.
Caroveggie

Re: Caroveggie's 5K Journal

Postby sksamboots » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:51 pm

ooo the biking thing sounds fun. Keep me updated, I bet there will be some great experiences :)
sksamboots

Postby Caroveggie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:01 pm

Biked to work and back but left my wallet so with exactly 90 cents I ended up with 1/2 a Twix bar and then my boss got some small chocolate thingy which I ate part of. Breakfast was some rice (happened to have it at the office).

Well, I've decided no more sweets. They're out. I'm gonna stick to healthy, just don't like the dings on my will power when I veer off. I was going to do a Taebo tape tonight but I can't get my TV to go to channel 3 (it was a free TV and the universal remote isn't working) so instead I'm gonna try a run and then one of my Bar Method DVDs, which are these really small but challenging exercises for sculpting.

Happy McDougalling!

Your Determined Caroveggie
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:39 pm

Running felt good, although I had to take some walking breaks. Then I also did most of one of the Bar Method DVDs I have. Then I went shopping so I'll be more organized and prepared for meals and they have cherries!
Caroveggie

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals