Fulenn's MS page New: before/after pics on page 15

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Fulenn's MS page New: before/after pics on page 15

Postby fulenn » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:27 am

I finally have internet at my house again! A backhoe digging in the street dug through the phone cables running to over 800 customers, including me. We had called when we lost our service and set up an appointment to have it repaired several days later; then they worked on the lines where the backhoe had visited. The day we were supposed to have a technician come, nobody showed up. When I called I was told that the appointment had been cancelled. Turns out the phone company cancels all calls that are related to the cable problem, in hopes that the cable repair will take care of it. Ours was reconnected incorrectly. When someone finally did come out on a different day, they were able to repair it in an hour or so.

I have spent the past couple of weeks eating a TON of baked fries. I've really fixed them often. I come home after work and fix a batch almost every day. I took pictures several times and will upload some of them. I bought some different flavors of Mrs. Dash and discovered that I really like them! My current favorite is Garlic & Herb.

Happy Easter! I am boiling red potatoes, making bruschetta, lots of gravy, steamed asparagus, and fresh strawberries for dessert.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby moonwatcher » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:00 am

Happy Easter, Fulenn!

Glad you got your internet back. Your Easter menu sounds scrumptious.

I have been eating a lot of my pizza seasoned potato slices these days. At least once a week, sometimes more. Nothing quite like it. Filling and nourishing, along with a nice salad.

I am working on a post about (almost) raw vegan pho, and all the possible strategies. I am including a link to your Pho recipe on your blog.

Nice to check in a bit.

xoxo

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:45 pm

Here are some pictures of the baked fries I have been eating:
This first picture is the potato slices about to go into the oven. They are on a piece of parchment paper.
The rest of these are after they come out of the oven.

These are so good!

Fulenn
Last edited by fulenn on Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:48 pm

moonwatcher wrote:Happy Easter, Fulenn!

Glad you got your internet back. Your Easter menu sounds scrumptious.

I have been eating a lot of my pizza seasoned potato slices these days. At least once a week, sometimes more. Nothing quite like it. Filling and nourishing, along with a nice salad.

I am working on a post about (almost) raw vegan pho, and all the possible strategies. I am including a link to your Pho recipe on your blog.

Nice to check in a bit.

xoxo

moonwatcher

Hi, moonwatcher! I might try the pizza potato slices this week...sounds good!

I'll keep an eye out for your raw vegan pho--I really like that bowl of yummy goodness!

Sounds like you are doing well, keeping busy. Glad to see that!

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby moonwatcher » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:42 pm

Thanks, Fulenn--with all this moving on the horizon I am definitely busy!! Your "fries" look great--let me know if you try the pizza seasoned potato slices--kind of the same sort of thing you're already doing. Must get to bed now--have a good week. :)

xoxo

moonwatcher

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:46 pm

Here are a couple of salads that I have had with my baked fries this week:

I pan-fried the mushrooms with balsamic vinegar--yummy!

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby lmggallagher » Sun May 04, 2014 9:17 am

Hey Fuelenn:

Bummer what happened with your internet service a while back. We have two houses under construction in my neighborhood and I keep thinking something will happen like that - so far we are OK ;-)

Your baked potatoes fires and chips look fabulous. so do you just cut them up , toss Mrs. Dash on them and put them in the oven? What temp and how long? Please :)
lmggallagher

Postby fulenn » Mon May 05, 2014 8:57 pm

lmggallagher wrote:Hey Fuelenn:

Bummer what happened with your internet service a while back. We have two houses under construction in my neighborhood and I keep thinking something will happen like that - so far we are OK ;-)

Your baked potatoes fires and chips look fabulous. so do you just cut them up , toss Mrs. Dash on them and put them in the oven? What temp and how long? Please :)

Hi Michelle!

I do just what you said: cut them up, sprinkle Mrs. Dash on them, and put them in a 400F oven until they puff a little bit, maybe 20-30 minutes depending on how thick they are. Sometimes I peel the potatoes and sometimes I do not. They are soooo good!

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby moonwatcher » Mon May 05, 2014 9:53 pm

Just reading this makes me hungry for some potatoes! I do my pizza seasoned ones the same way--except lower temp--350 and longer baking time--45 minutes. I have them at least once a week! Hardly any dishes to clean up either. Yay all around.

xoxo

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Sun May 25, 2014 9:26 pm

We are getting near the end of the school year and preparing to cook Ancient Mesopotamian food on Friday. One of the recipes that I found is for Barley Porridge. It calls for poultry broth, but I substituted vegetable broth. Really good! Barley was a very important staple food and it was nice to be able to make a dish that is so old. We'll see on Friday what the kids think about it.

It seems from looking over the available recipes that the Mesopotamians favored onion, garlic, leek, shallots, and chives. These were probably widely available locally.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby moonwatcher » Sun May 25, 2014 9:48 pm

Wow, that sounds really neat. let us know how it goes. xoxo

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby nicoles » Mon May 26, 2014 10:23 am

How fascinating, I never thought about ancient Mesopotamian food before now! I am a fan of any cuisine that favors alliums so heavily. :D
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby fulenn » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:57 pm

Hi, moonwatcher! Hi, nicole!

The Mesopotamian Feast went well--the students decided that the Ancient Mesopotamians ate really well. :D We ate several foods with barley, lots of aliums, barley flatbread with raw onion slices, figs, dates, pomegranate, carrots--it was a fun day. The students also made and brought several non-McDougall items which I will not mention, but overall a good experience.

It is summertime now! I love being unemployed for 10 weeks per year as it gives me a chance to do other things. Well, actually, I will be teaching some this summer for a summer camp program and am taking several science and math courses for myself, but it's the thought that counts.

We have a house guest this summer who needed a place to live while looking for work, so we are full over here again. We have continued to babysit some for the teenager who lived here last year and that has been very nice! Gotta love small children, especially when you get to send them back home at the end of the day.

Tonight I fixed my own version of picatta: pasta, topped with chickpeas cooked in garlic, capers, diced tomatoes, and fresh lemon juice. So good! I love this combination.

I fixed pancakes for breakfast this morning using a recipe for Banana-Oat Pancakes from http://potatostrong.com/banana-oat-pancakes/. I really liked it!

I got really busy at school this past couple of weeks and have been eating a lot of plain, boiled potatoes. I am looking forward to doing some more cooking now.

The MS seems to be stable now. Tomorrow will have been 2 years since I began this journal. I saw a lot of rapid changes in my symptoms that first summer, some slower ones over the first year, and have been holding for the most part since then. MS is often a slow disease and it may take another year for me to be convinced that there really has been a halt to the disease's progression. (I am hard to convince.) However, just having a stop for 2 years to the progression and flare-ups is a huge thing. I have been interested in people's reaction to the Portland study because it is huge to have a group NOT progress for a year. It really will be another couple of years, watching both of the groups, before people will begin to understand what they are seeing. Well, in my opinion. :D I keep hoping to win Powerball and be able to fund a few more years for Dr. McDougall...but I suppose I would need to play Lotto first. LOL!

Have a great week!
Fulenn

fulenn

Postby moonwatcher » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:06 pm

HI fulenn,

So glad to hear the Mesopotamian Feast went so well. :)

I also really enjoyed hearing about your summer plans. These young people are lucky to have you and your DH as mentoring and helpful welcoming forces in their lives. Your home feels like a loving place to hang out. :)

However, just having a stop for 2 years to the progression and flare-ups is a huge thing. I have been interested in people's reaction to the Portland study because it is huge to have a group NOT progress for a year. It really will be another couple of years, watching both of the groups, before people will begin to understand what they are seeing. Well, in my opinion. :D

I read this entry maybe yesterday but so much was going on with the yard sale I couldn't respond. Also, I'm still even now thinking about it. Yes, I cannot reiterate more strongly that your just having a stop to the progression and flare-ups is a huge thing. I hope you believe in that, and know how much hope your writing about it gives people with MS. I tried to follow one thread about the study a while back but it all sounded very distant and no one who actually had MS was saying much about their experience. Is there some information about the study only showing that progression did not take place that I have missed? Has there been any official announcement I missed? Nevertheless, it's the experience of lessening progression and flare-ups that matters to me. So I get kind of exasperated and put off by all this waiting for proof. You know me, believer in my own experience above all. And I kind of think people would be better off in general if they were taught to trust their own experience and listen to thier own bodies.

MS IS a slow moving, insidious and isolating phenomenon. it's hard to pin down and really very little is definitively known about it. There is not even a way to diagnose it postiively. The diagnosis is given only by ruling everyhing else out. So it seems to me that people who demonstrate lessening of symptoms and progression should be celebrated, not ignored until science can figure out how to describe that it has happened. Not giving that credence contributes to the isolation and insidious nature of how it, and people who have it, are perceived. I think you, here in your journal, and me on my blog, are doing good work to heal that.

I was frustrated last winter when the University doing the study was having a Brain Health weekend seminar in Portland. (I got a notice about it through being on Dr. McDougall's e-mail list.) I was given contact information through a friend of one of the doctors involved in the study. I wrote to her asking her to look at my blog and perhaps list it as a resource to the people who were attending and trying to eat this way. She wrote back and said my blog looked great and she was glad to hear I was doing so well, but she never followed up. For some reason this and other non-commitall or abstract comments about the study and proof really irk me. Not because I want to be a star, but because I know how isolating and somehow shaming it is to have this diagnosis, and I think doctors who say they want to help should realize that a lifestyle change often requires successful networking and support from peers to be effective, that it's PEOPLE who are experiencing the symptoms. How can they expect people to try it if they themselves don't want to really support those who are already doing it and doing well with it, even if there's not definintive methodology yet to prove that? There certainly is "support" like that for those who want to take the meds. . .simply because they have more confidence in how they measure the effect of the meds. Okay, I'm done ranting. :D :lol: :lol: It's really hard to put into words here what I mean so thanks for letting me try. :lol: :lol:

Good luck with your summer classes. You are a renaissance woman!!

xoxo

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:17 pm

moonwatcher,
I have not seen any other unique information about the Portland study, but I have not been on here long enough to read everything for a couple of months; I easily could have missed something.

My youngest daughter wants to begin walking every day now that summer is here and she has asked me to join her. Yea!! My oldest is back home for the summer, friend in tow, and all of the children have asked if they could eat healthier this summer. Once I pursued their thinking on this, they admitted that they wanted to ditch the junk food that they have been eating at school and at their friends homes. So nothing much will change here, but I am glad that they want to expand this a bit more. Honestly, I thought that they were pretty much on board elsewhere, too, so I am happy that this will change for them. They have the prettiest skin now, no stuffy noses, and seem healthier in general with a reduction in colds, so I am excited to see what happens when they stick to this away from home as well.

I am still being a bit of a lazy cook here. I got out my rice cooker and ate rice for breakfast and lunch today, with a mango. Right now my husband is in the kitchen peeling potatoes because I had said I would try to make potato soup for dinner yesterday and did not. He is getting the potatoes into a pot so I will do the rest. :D I suppose I could finish typing and go help him...

I had a bit of a scare this morning when I began feeling numbness in my right hand. My first thought was to wonder if I had accidentally been eating something I shouldn't; then I lifted my arm off of the desk and realized that I was leaning on it and it was going to sleep. Figures.

Fulenn

fulenn

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals