Gluten Free Flour Tortillas
(regular McDougall plan)
2 c. Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Mix for tortillas (* see note below)
1 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. salt
1 c. warm water
1. Add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix the ingredients thoroughly with fork.
2. Add the cup of warm water to the bowl and mix the dry goods into the water with a fork or your hands until all of the dry ingredients are no longer dry. And then keep mixing a minute longer.
3. Separate the dough into 8 pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Place all but one of the dough balls back into the bowl and cover with plastic wrap until you’re ready to work with them.
4. Sprinkle a clean, flat surface with some GF flour. Roll the ball of dough into a thin circular shape.
5. Place the tortilla onto a hot non-stick griddle or skillet and cook approximately 1 minute – or until it starts to puff up and the bottom side is just starting to get brown. Don't let it burn. Flip the tortilla and cook the other side.
6. Place the cooked tortilla onto a plate and repeat from step 4 until you’ve cooked all 8 tortillas.
*Gluten Free Flour Mix for tortillas
3 parts brown rice flour
3 parts corn starch
2 parts soy flour, sorghum flour or garbanzo/fava flour
1 part masa harina (sold in Wal-Mart and other grocery stores)
** Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free flour is getting more common in most regular grocery stores as well as in health food stores or you can order it online at:http://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten-free/
***recipe adapted from The Cooking School