Five favorite articles

Give us your thoughts on the latest McDougall mailings here

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve

Five favorite articles

Postby didi » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:54 am

One of Dr. McDougall's five favorite articles this month is on the ineffectiveness of intensive treatment for t2 diabetes. He cited the Accord study.

I don't know when this study was done but more than 20 years ago when first diagnosed the doctor prescribed a sulfonylurea and handed me a booklet published by a drug company with an explanation of the exchange diet and lots of ads for their products. She did not tell me to get a monitor to test my own sugar nor did she recommend an endocrinologist or diabetes educator. (For these last two I am grateful because I would have gotten way off the right track) I remember asking her if taking the meds would prevent complications. She just shook her head, "no", obviously very reluctant to tell me the bad news. I wondered at the time what the advantage was of taking meds if they didn't prevent complications and drew the conclusion that they might delay complications. Otherwise, why prescribe them at all?

I took the meds for a while and during that time came across a book by nathan pritikin in which he talked about a diet for diabetes. So I stopped taking the pills and exercised and over the years I refined my way of eating (with lots of slip ups) and my fasting sugars were normal and so far no complications. While I don't know what the future will bring, I compare myself to others with diabetes whom I know and I am healthier.

It is nice to get information from a study like ACCORD, but I think what they discovered and got statistics from is only something doctors always knew: Their patients were going to get complications despite the meds. And I am sure that as people got worse doctors increased the meds and the therapy got more and more intensive and the patients got worse and worse. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I assume that constantly switching and adding different drugs is what the docs consider doing something different. But it is not different enough and they should know that by now.

Didi
didi

Return to Comments on Latest Newsletter or Star McDougaller