Frustrated !

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Frustrated !

Postby funcrunch » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Sweet potato is a starch, not a fruit; eat as much as you want. I eat the skin of potatoes if I scrub them first.
funcrunch

Postby pinkrose » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:47 pm

mcfruitarian wrote:Thanks pinkrose and potato head.

Please refer to my daily journal under McFruitarian Journal 2012 in the journals forum.

I have questions though :
Are there any daily restrictions for eating sweet potato? For me, grilled sweet potato is as sweet as a banana. So if fruit name should be limited to 2 serving per day, why not sweet tomatoes ? Is it ok to eat the skin of the grilled potatoes?

Refer to my journal, here are responses to your questions and proposals:

As of today, I stopped eating oats. Today, I had sweet potato for breakfast.

Unless hunger strikes, I am restricting my intake to 3 servings per day. Starting today, I carry with me grilled sweet potato so it is ready when hunger strikes. I will experiment with this for a week.

I have been swimming daily for 3 years now. My running is still limited to short distances 5km for few times a week. Actually, I was thinking of intensifying my runs to 10km and then 21 km over the coming month. At the moment, I do not sweat with 5 km as I am used to long distance running ( 21 km, 42 km, and 50 km).

Sweet potatoes are starches and are, therefore, unlimited. They are actually quite low in fructose--about 1g/200g serving! :!:

Enjoy your sweet potatoes! :D

Now...think about something else!!! :nod:
pinkrose

Postby mcfruitarian » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:35 pm

Thanks.

Do I really have to give up salt totally if I am struggling with weightloss? Could salt be the trigger for my hunger strike ?

Currently, I still add salt on table and not with cooking.
mcfruitarian

Postby funcrunch » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:11 pm

I would not give up adding salt at the table.

By the way, how tall are you? What is your body mass index? Is it possible you are failing to lose weight because your target weight is unrealistically low?
funcrunch

Postby mcfruitarian » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:39 pm

My height is 174 cm. At 73 kg, this is BMI = 24.1(right ?)

My target is to get down to 65 kg (BMI 21.5).

I carry a lot of fat around my mid section. When I lie down in semi supine, my tummy is higher than my chest.

I did have fat tests on 2 occasions with 2 different sport institutes and they stated that I should be weighing in the range 65-68 kg. So I am 8 kg overweight. Actually, last year for some 6 months I was hovering at 67-68 kg but this year it has been a major struggle.
mcfruitarian

Postby Earthangel » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am

Potatohead wrote:I have a suggestion....cut back on the cereal...it might cause you to bloat...I know when I eat too many oats...I bloat...try snacking on raw veggies and cold cooked potatoes...limit the beans...they can cause bloating too...you exercise a lot, which is good, but because you don't have a whole bunch of weight to lose, all the exercise might be stalling you too....your body might be trying to hold onto "food", because you need it for your workouts..sounds crazy, but a good friend of mine can not lose when she exercises too much..she use to run 3 miles a day...she was only trying to lose 5lbs, but the scale would not budge..she cut back to running 4 days a week, and in a month she had lost the 5 lbs

Wow - I didn't think about this. Has anyone else had any problems with eating oats? I may need to cut back on them, as well!
Amanda Newcomer

Join us at "McDougall Friends" on Facebook!
Earthangel

Postby mcfruitarian » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:07 am

It has worked for me. Over the past 2 days, since I live on potato and Vegies only. I no longer feel bloated. Actually, I stopped the oats and the bulgur dishes.

See my daily journal McFruitarian Journal 2012 in the Journal forum.
mcfruitarian

Postby frozenveg » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:52 am

Earthangel wrote:
Potatohead wrote:I have a suggestion....cut back on the cereal...it might cause you to bloat...I know when I eat too many oats...I bloat...try snacking on raw veggies and cold cooked potatoes...limit the beans...they can cause bloating too...you exercise a lot, which is good, but because you don't have a whole bunch of weight to lose, all the exercise might be stalling you too....your body might be trying to hold onto "food", because you need it for your workouts..sounds crazy, but a good friend of mine can not lose when she exercises too much..she use to run 3 miles a day...she was only trying to lose 5lbs, but the scale would not budge..she cut back to running 4 days a week, and in a month she had lost the 5 lbs

Wow - I didn't think about this. Has anyone else had any problems with eating oats? I may need to cut back on them, as well!

I don't think oats are universally "bloaty." I eat them for breakfast daily and have for the past 2 years. I occasionally will have them for a late-evening snack as well. The problem may occur if many large helping are consumed in a single day...
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby mcfruitarian » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:23 pm

frozenveg wrote:
Earthangel wrote:

I don't think oats are universally "bloaty." I eat them for breakfast daily and have for the past 2 years. I occasionally will have them for a late-evening snack as well. The problem may occur if many large helping are consumed in a single day...

Somehow, for some reasons that i can notbexplian, the combination of oats with dried fruit ( 2 cups per days) and crashed wheat (bulgur) did not work for me. I was feeling bloated all the time and did not lose any weight. Now that I replaced the above with potatoes (white & sweet) only, my weight start kicking downwards and I no longer feel bloated.
With hindsight, I guess that the dried fruit (high density calories) might have stalled my weightloss. The bulgar could be the cause of the bloating. I am not sure about the oats.
I will definitely consider re introduce the oats at a later stage after I achieve my target weight and watch closely my body's reaction and weight.
mcfruitarian

Postby beansprout100 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:23 am

Hi there everyone,
I,after a couple of weeks on the diet,following it strictly,and certainly not eating unlimited amounts,stood on the scales this morning to find that I had put on 2lbs.I was running about all over the place yesterday
and burning off what little I thought I had eaten and ...that's right...I put on 2lbs. Now at a quick calculation that's about 4000-5000 calories.All I could think was...what?It all seemed to good to be true and it's beginning to look as if,with all things that fall into that category,it is.Please somebody tell me that this just some kind of 'start up' problem.Also my sleep has gone to hell.Tossing and turning all night.Any ideas?
beansprout100

Postby pinkrose » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:15 am

Welcome aboard, Beansprout! You can start your own thread.

First, what are your goals?

Second, please give us a detailed description of what you are eating. With that information, maybe we can give you some helpful feedback.

Third, what is your exercise routine? Please be specific.

Fourth, if you will faithfully follow the guidelines of the Maximum Weight Loss program, I think you can get as thin as you like.

Use the great educational resources and enjoy the support here to help you reach your goals. See

http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/pdf/pdfmc050100nl.pdf

I follow a very simple version of the MWL program and I am a happy customer! You can see my story here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26307

Please keep us posted on your journey! :-D
pinkrose

Postby Katydid » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:00 am

Mcfruitarian,
I wonder if you might be sensitive to gluten. I can't eat wheat, barley or rye at all, or oats, unless they've been certified as gluten-free. Bloating is one side-effect. Asthma and allergies is another.

Do you have any bloating when eating say, brown rice, quinoa, millet or buckwheat? These grains are all gluten-free.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby mcfruitarian » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:46 am

Kate,

How can I find out whether I am gluten intolerant ?

I do not bloat when eating brown rice and never ate quinoa, millet or buckwheat. But I used to bloat when I used to eat white flour and bread.

I do not asthma and not aware of any allergies.
mcfruitarian

Postby mcfruitarian » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:46 am

Kate,

How can I find out whether I am gluten intolerant ?

I do not bloat when eating brown rice and never ate quinoa, millet or buckwheat. But I used to bloat when I used to eat white flour and bread.

I do not asthma and not aware of any allergies.
mcfruitarian

Postby mcfruitarian » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:51 am

beansprout100 wrote:Hi there everyone,
I,after a couple of weeks on the diet,following it strictly,and certainly not eating unlimited amounts,stood on the scales this morning to find that I had put on 2lbs.I was running about all over the place yesterday
and burning off what little I thought I had eaten and ...that's right...I put on 2lbs. Now at a quick calculation that's about 4000-5000 calories.All I could think was...what?It all seemed to good to be true and it's beginning to look as if,with all things that fall into that category,it is.Please somebody tell me that this just some kind of 'start up' problem.Also my sleep has gone to hell.Tossing and turning all night.Any ideas?

Beansprout100
How did you do the calculations and converted the additional 2 lbs unto additional 4000-5000 calories?
mcfruitarian

PreviousNext

Return to How to Begin