New lab numbers after 7 months on plant-based diet

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

New lab numbers after 7 months on plant-based diet

Postby sailforjoy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:03 pm

I had my annual physical this week: My doctor said “not only are your numbers good, they’re WAY good”. He was really impressed and said “keep doing what you’re doing”. I told him about the Forks Over Knives video that was my inspiration, and said he’s going to watch it. I also told him about The China Study book.

My wife (she is a registered dietitian) and I started the plant-based diet at the start of December. I didn’t start to lose weight until March when I became more disciplined about limiting snacks. Since March I lost 25 pounds. In June I cut way down on sweets, which I learned is a factor in the triglycerides number.

The table below shows my lab numbers. The first number is late January, the second number (in parenthesis) is the latest reading last week.

Cholesterol 182 (124)
Triglycerides 247 (108)
LDL 93 (66)

In addition, my thyroid appears to be functioning again (it’s been more than 10 years since I went on thyroid medication and my dosage increased steadily over the years). My new numbers indicate that there’s a possibility my thyroid is working well enough to eliminate the thyroid medication completely! The doc is now cutting my thyroid medication dose in half, and we’ll know more in the next few months, as it will take time to determine the proper new level. I've learned from my wife that thyroid problems (and other issues) can be caused by an auto-immune response to animal-sourced proteins in food. (As I understand it, some proteins in food closely resemble the amino acids in our own organs, and in attacking the foreign substance our body attacks itself.)

I'm 60, and there is a family history of coronary disease. I have no issues now nor am I on any medications other than thyroid, but I prefer the idea of "food as medicine" and want to avoid meds and associated side-effects that commonly degrade the lives of aging people. I'm also determined to improve my odds of avoiding the early deaths of my parents/grandparents and maintain health as long as possible.

Since I started the plant based diet I have more energy throughout the day and better digestion. I can tell my intestinal system is much happier now. An improved and more constant energy level (like a veil of mild tiredness was lifted) was especially noticeable when we first started the plant-based diet but now it just seems “normal”. This experiment has gone from “I’ve got nothing to lose by trying it” to “it’s better, it works for me”.

I've been telling most people I know and only a few show interest. It's incredible that I can show these lab numbers to people who are on statins and beta blockers who have heart issues, and they don't take interest in a way to improve their health and reduce risk without meds and associated side-effects. (Seems they'd rather take a pill and live with disease the best they can than avoid it altogether.)

Some people get it, others think I'm doing "extreme" eating -- but I think it's more radical and extreme to ignore this information when there is so much to gain and so little downside. Yes I love the taste of a well-cooked steak, but I know that it doesn't love me and "I can live without it". So I don't miss it, and my wife and I are discovering new ways of cooking and new uses for spices, and enjoying lighter foods more than ever before.
Last edited by sailforjoy on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
sailforjoy

Re: New lab numbers after 7 months on plant-based diet

Postby Tiger » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:07 am

Those are fantastic improvements - congratulations! It's good to hear that your doctor was impressed and is at least interested in the plant-based diet. Too many doctors just brush off people's good results.
Be compassionate, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.
Tiger

Postby rickcox » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:54 am

Congratulations on the numbers......

Healthy always feels good.
Rick Cox
200 lbs 01/02/2013
200 lbs 01/02/2011
220 lbs 02/01/2009
240 lbs 11/14/2008
rickcox

Postby Frieda » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:00 am

Well done!
Frieda

Postby veggie lover » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Yes, my doctor just brushed off my improved cholesterol numbers as well. They weren't that bad last year but they did drop 41 points. You'd think he'd give me a little praise. I'll bet that doesn't happen to his other patients unless they're on drugs.
veggie lover

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:12 am

:D Fabulous!! Good for you!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby pechke » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:54 am

What a great story! I love your use of the phrase (regarding a steak): you can *live* without it. That's right, you can die with it, or LIVE without it!
pechke

Postby Perryaire » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:12 pm

Wow! congratulations on those reduced numbers! I loved your post and it is so encouraging for us all.

I was especially interested in the thryroid improvement. I am 63 and have been following this programme since 6 January 2012 (now 27 July 2012), but have to take a thyroid pill every morning. It would be just marvellous if this were to improve.

I was also on beta-blockers and the other type of high BP medication (both high doses). Having lost 11 kg (22 lb) I have weened myself off both these medications without telling my doctor (who would not approve). I am closely home-monitoring my BP and sometimes it is 120/80 and sometimes it is 160/90 with no rhyme nor reason. When it is high, the next day I take a diuretic (also prescribed by my Dr) which Dr McDougall seems to think is all that is necessary. I hope I am doing the right thing here as I really do want to stay off the meds. Can anyone comment?

I loved your enthusiasm for the programme. I find I am losing weight very slowly but feel so well and healthy that I don't mind how long it takes. My cholesterol, too, has dropped from 6.1 to 5.1 in this time (in NZ we measure the figures differently but I know it is going down which is the important thing).

Regarding the way we eat - I agree that I want to tell everyone but I get some strange looks and comments and some people just don't want to know and want to continue taking their meds and eating all the animal food. I still get comments about protein, hair falling out, etc. Everyone seems so entrenched that "animal protein is good for you and very necessary, and Olive Oil is just fine". I work at a medical centre and the entrenched teachings of the doctors and nurses are amazing. I have now given up trying to convert colleagues, friends, family. They just say I eat funny foods - that's just fine by me as long as I can show I am healthy, happy, slim (mer), and feeling just so wonderful!

keep up your great efforts and thanks for such an interesting blog.
Perryaire

Postby DH666 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:43 pm

That's great! While my doctor did not question the improvements in my numbers, she questioned my methods. She does not truly believe that a vegan diet is the way to go. Looks like I have some training to do of my own.
The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. Mahatma Gandhi
DH666

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories