First Thank You Dr McDougall and Jeff Novick! The McDougall program definitely works!
So here's the results of 3 months of a strict MWL lifestyle. Started on Feb 28, 2012
Last week I reported the following:
Weight: 261 today: 213.4 almost 48 pounds down and no longer Obese!
BP: 153/92 today: 104/64 no more hypertension!
Pulse: 88 today: 67
BMI: 35.4 today: 28.9
Today I got my results back on my blood work. First I'll give the before and after numbers and then make some comments and finally questions:The Numbers:
First test done on Feb 27 2012 and new test done on May 25 2012
(3 months of being on a strict MWL plan)
Serum Glucose 131 to 77 went from high to normal
Creatinine 1.5 to 1.4 slightly lower but still high
eGFR 52 to 56 slightly higher but still low
Serum Protein 6.9 to 6.2 Went from normal to low
AST (SGOT) 19 to 14 Went from normal to low
Chol 273 to 170 Went from high to normal
Trig's 559 to 173 Went from very high to high
HDL 37 to 29 Went from low to even lower
LDL not calculable to 106 Went from bad to slightly high
VLDL not calculable to 34.6 Went from bad to slightly high
T.Chol/HDL ratio 7 to 6 Went from high to borderline high
CRP 7.15 to 2.46 Went from high to average
All other metabolic factors were normal on both test dates (BUN/calcium/sodium/chloride/potassium/bilirubin/albumin/globulin/alkaline phosphatase/ALT(SPGT))Comments:
1. My fasting glucose is now normal (actually at the lower end of normal)! It was in the diabetic range before. A 51% drop. Thats a significant improvement!
2. My creatinine and eGFR are improving and only a little out of range still, but they do seem to indicate that I may have some kidney disease. However, I'm not sure how this might relate to the fact I have only one kidney. It may be more normal than I know and is at any rate improving and close to being normal. Any improvement in potential kidney damage is great news!
3. My protein measured low, not sure what this might indicate yet.
4. My AST was low as well. Again not sure what this might indicate either.
5. Lipids have improved quite a bit! Total cholesterol is in the normal range after being so high and amounts to a 38% drop! Trig's are still high but I had an almost 70% drop in them which is amazing. HDL took a bit of a nose dive, but given the latest studies that just came out last week I'm not concerned. LDL and VHDL are also slightly high but they went from outrageous to significantly better, so I can't complain. And finally my cholesterol ratio is now only borderline high which is a huge improvement. So overall lipids are all moving in the right direction quickly.
6. CRP is now normal. Which indicates significantly lower inflamation levels and takes me out of the high risk for a heart attack and into the average risk area. Thats a 66% drop and a great improvement
So overall a significant improvement in my blood work in 3 months of the MWL. I am quite happy with the results and will simply continue with what I'm doing. Also remember I am still 30+ lbs over weight so further weight loss should really make my numbers look good
And all these results simply from eating the right food with no hunger and definitely no medications of any kind Questions:
So what does the drop in protein and AST mean? I know the McD diet is lower in protein and lower protein is good, but if serum protein levels are low does this indicate a real problem to be concerned about? Could the fact that I exercise regularly now be a factor as well?
I plan to test again once I hit a "normal" BMI, probably in the fall...