Hoisin Sauce

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hoisin Sauce

Postby Melissa88 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:55 pm

Since I got great feed back and even learned a few things with regard to my rice cake posting.

Can you please provide feedback on Lee Kum Kee Hoisin Sauce? The ingredients are:
Sugar, water, fermented soybean paste (water, salt, soybeans, wheat flour), garlic, dried sweet potato, colors (caramel, fd&c red #40), modified corn starch, sesame paste, spices, salted chili peppers (chili peppers, salt), acetic acid.

I know the first ding is sugar as the first ingredient. But is everything else okay?

Thanks!
Melissa88

Re: Hoisin Sauce

Postby Nean » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:15 pm

So, how much are you using? What sets you off on a food binge?

If you barely dip your food in and without some Hoisin Sauce you won't eat your vegies, Hoisin sauce may be something you decide to allow for a while. If on the other hand, your plate is dripping with Hoisin Sauce, you likely eating the vegies as an excuse for the sauce. And the faster you cut out all the processed crap, the sooner whole foods start to taste good.

Your label shows a highly processed product with added sugar and salt and artificial colors... so really, it's not a food.
"I am very much in control of how I feel as long as I control what I put in my mouth!" Blue
Nean

Postby Melissa88 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:39 am

I never thought of it as a dipping sauce for veggies. For me the taste would be too strong for a dipping sauce.

I think what sets me off on a food binge is lack of food. If I go too long between meals, then I'll over eat. I usually eat about 5 or 6 times a day. However, the amount of food at each time are not large quantities.

I use it in a stir fry(er... saute w/ water) that I have made about once a week. I usually add about two tablespoons to about 2-3 servings of veggies and brown rice.

Thanks for the information!
Melissa88

Postby Ampin Up » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:39 am

You can avoid the binges by eating more whole starches until you are satisfied. Even though you are on the MWL plan, half your food should be whole starches. If you don't eat enough starches you will not be satisfied and binge. Eating more often is ok, just eat the right balance and stop when you are satisfied.

The hoisin can be added as a flavor enhancer if used in small quantities.

Best to you.
Jeff - Certified Starch Solution Instructor
Down over 50 lbs and controlling BP, cholesterol, diabetes and arthritis no meds
Free Health info and recipes on my website
Self-Paced classes from $1
https://sites.google.com/site/letsbehealthytogether/
Ampin Up

Postby Breadman » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:52 pm

Should be fine as a condiment.
Breadman

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program