Feeling full and a couple specific food questions

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Feeling full and a couple specific food questions

Postby SewingMom » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:01 am

I feel like I've really lost over the many years of dieting (or possibly, I've never had) the ability to detect when I'm really and truly full. If the food is something I like, I can eat and eat and eat even after I'm very obviously full. I can eat until my stomach hurts and if the food is good, I sometimes keep eating unless I am very conscious about stopping. Is this something other people struggle with? Does it get easier after being on MWL for a while? I've been McDougalling for a long time but never stuck with MWL long enough to know if this will help. I know we can eat until we are full on MWL but I really struggle with knowing when I'm full and when to stop eating. I hope this is something I can learn but I'm just not sure if that is possible for me.

I also have a couple of questions about allowed foods -
Nutritional yeast, is it ok on MWL or not?
Green beans (canned), starch or veggie?
Arborio rice, I have a recipe that calls for this to make a risotto. Is it an intact grain or should I stick with brown rice when I make a dish that calls for arborio rice?

Thank you in advance :)
~Laura~
Mom to 7, foster mom to even more, and grandma to one sweet little boy. Trying to take care of myself and stay healthy so I have the energy to keep up with all of the kids!
SewingMom

Re: Feeling full and a couple specific food questions

Postby grandma6 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:31 am

Hi Laura. I'm so glad you posted because I have the same problem. I never know when to stop myself! When I hear eat till you're full I have no idea when that is. I started the MMWL Monday of this week and at every meal I have it in the back of my mind...okay eat until you're full and the problem is I've been making meals from the book and I love them! I hope someone can help shed some light on this. I just want you to know you are not alone.
I have 7 kids who are starting to have their own families now. With 6 grandsons under the age of three I sure do need the energy. I babysit for my 2 yr old grandsons (triplets)often. This was my reason for starting this program. I want to be here for them and not only be here but to be able to do things with them.
About the nutritional yeast I believe that is on the diet. I have seen recipes in the book that have them in it. I use them myself. I was very good on the regular McDougall program for about a year then (not even sure what happened) for the last year we're up and down. Now, my husband and two daughters that are at home are all on the plan which makes life much easier.
grandma6

Postby MINNIE » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:16 am

Regarding the arborio rice, it is a variety of white (polished) rice. However, Dr. McDougall gives his opinion of white rice here:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educa ... hite-rice/

It's permissible on this program, and I think it also was used in some McDougall recipes, although I don't remember which book.

Brown rice is considered preferable, but white rice is not on the "never use" list.

I use it occasionally, but have substitued short-grain brown rice in risotto recipes with very little taste difference. So, it's up to you.

GREEN BEANS I don't knowthe official answer, but to me they are like other green veggies because of the high wter content compared to the very starchy dried beans.

About feeling full, I notice that since adopting the McDougall diet I almost never feel hungry. So I'm not getting the hunger signals I used to have. This actually tends to make me under-eat. As a rule I'm not a big volume eater, but sometimes I do eat beyond the point of feeling comfortable because I'm eating too fast. I eat a lot of small meals through out the day to combat both issues. I don't know if that's helpful. I think you may just have to learn by trial and error.
MINNIE

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:57 am

SewingMom wrote: Does it get easier after being on MWL for a while?

Depends on the person, for for many of us, no, it doesn't.

I know we can eat until we are full on MWL

No, we can't. I really dislike how Dr. McDougall advertises his programs as all-you-can-eat, because for so many of us, we can eat, and eat, and eat. It doesn't matter if it's high fat SAD foods or very low calorie, low fat high fiber MWLP ones. He has said in lectures we 're to eat until comfortable and satisfied but NOT until we're full. Many of the Star McDougallers who have lost 100 or more pounds have said over and over again that they have to stop eating when still slightly hungry, when they're about 80% full. The Japanese have a name for it - hari hachi bu. Here's McDougaller Carol Fitzgerald explaining what it means to her, complete with bloopers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Oe9JPpOSQ

Arborio rice,

All the above are okay. There's a recipe for a cheese sauce using nooch in the MWLP book on page 217; green beans, whether fresh, frozen, or canned, are certainly allowed as a green vegetable; and as others have said, arborio rice is mentioned in a few recipes in McDougall books and some newsletter recipes. It would be hard to substitute brown rice for most arborio rice recipes because of all the stirring and absorption of liquids - it would take twice as long and take a lot more liquid to make a real risotto out of brown rice. I usually just use the arborio.
VeggieSue

Postby ajhondrngal » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:59 am

I've worked on the hunger thing for a long time. Finally, what helped was to actually sit down and define what the stages of hunger were in my mind. I had seen a chart that went from 1-10 and gave words for each level. So I tried to picture those in my mind. Now I've figured out that if I'm so full that I don't want to move...that's 10 on the scale. 8 on the scale is when my tummy hurts because I ate too much. 6-7 is where I try to stop. That is where I'm full, but could eat more. Over time I've gotten to where I don't like that sore tummy feeling so I try to stop before that.

I also found that a lot of the times when I ate, ate, and ate some more were more related to emotional eating rather than physical hunger.

Progress, not perfection.
ajhondrngal

Postby SewingMom » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:18 pm

grandma6 wrote:Hi Laura. I'm so glad you posted because I have the same problem. I never know when to stop myself! When I hear eat till you're full I have no idea when that is. I started the MMWL Monday of this week and at every meal I have it in the back of my mind...okay eat until you're full and the problem is I've been making meals from the book and I love them! I hope someone can help shed some light on this. I just want you to know you are not alone.
I have 7 kids who are starting to have their own families now. With 6 grandsons under the age of three I sure do need the energy. I babysit for my 2 yr old grandsons (triplets)often. This was my reason for starting this program. I want to be here for them and not only be here but to be able to do things with them.
About the nutritional yeast I believe that is on the diet. I have seen recipes in the book that have them in it. I use them myself. I was very good on the regular McDougall program for about a year then (not even sure what happened) for the last year we're up and down. Now, my husband and two daughters that are at home are all on the plan which makes life much easier.

Glad to see I'm not alone! You are lucky to have grandkids (and triplets at that!) Two of my kids are married but no one has kids yet. I can't wait though :) My youngest at home right now just turned 3 (foster daughter) and I'm with you on needing some energy!

I'm glad to see that nutritional yeast is ok, I love the stuff!
~Laura~
Mom to 7, foster mom to even more, and grandma to one sweet little boy. Trying to take care of myself and stay healthy so I have the energy to keep up with all of the kids!
SewingMom

Postby SewingMom » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:22 pm

MINNIE wrote:Regarding the arborio rice, it is a variety of white (polished) rice. However, Dr. McDougall gives his opinion of white rice here:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educa ... hite-rice/

It's permissible on this program, and I think it also was used in some McDougall recipes, although I don't remember which book.

Brown rice is considered preferable, but white rice is not on the "never use" list.

I use it occasionally, but have substitued short-grain brown rice in risotto recipes with very little taste difference. So, it's up to you.

GREEN BEANS I don't knowthe official answer, but to me they are like other green veggies because of the high wter content compared to the very starchy dried beans.

About feeling full, I notice that since adopting the McDougall diet I almost never feel hungry. So I'm not getting the hunger signals I used to have. This actually tends to make me under-eat. As a rule I'm not a big volume eater, but sometimes I do eat beyond the point of feeling comfortable because I'm eating too fast. I eat a lot of small meals through out the day to combat both issues. I don't know if that's helpful. I think you may just have to learn by trial and error.

Thanks for the link, that was encouraging! I'm glad to hear that, I'd love to use the aborio now and then. I'm also very glad to hear that maybe after I stick with MWL for a while I might under-eat. Boy, that would be something!
~Laura~
SewingMom

Postby SewingMom » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:26 pm

VeggieSue wrote:
SewingMom wrote: Does it get easier after being on MWL for a while?

Depends on the person, for for many of us, no, it doesn't.

I know we can eat until we are full on MWL

No, we can't. I really dislike how Dr. McDougall advertises his programs as all-you-can-eat, because for so many of us, we can eat, and eat, and eat. It doesn't matter if it's high fat SAD foods or very low calorie, low fat high fiber MWLP ones. He has said in lectures we 're to eat until comfortable and satisfied but NOT until we're full. Many of the Star McDougallers who have lost 100 or more pounds have said over and over again that they have to stop eating when still slightly hungry, when they're about 80% full. The Japanese have a name for it - hari hachi bu. Here's McDougaller Carol Fitzgerald explaining what it means to her, complete with bloopers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Oe9JPpOSQ

Arborio rice,

All the above are okay. There's a recipe for a cheese sauce using nooch in the MWLP book on page 217; green beans, whether fresh, frozen, or canned, are certainly allowed as a green vegetable; and as others have said, arborio rice is mentioned in a few recipes in McDougall books and some newsletter recipes. It would be hard to substitute brown rice for most arborio rice recipes because of all the stirring and absorption of liquids - it would take twice as long and take a lot more liquid to make a real risotto out of brown rice. I usually just use the arborio.

What a great video, I really enjoyed watching that. I also went to her site and found some good looking recipes!
I must have a different edition of MWL than you do, I don't have a cheese sauce recipe on page 217. I do love cheese sauce made with nutritional yeast. I have a wonderful recipe I use with a sweet potato base but I am afraid it uses about 1/2 cup of nooch for 4 cups of sauce. That may be too much... not sure. I think there is fat in nooch..?
~Laura~
SewingMom

Postby SewingMom » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:31 pm

ajhondrngal wrote:I've worked on the hunger thing for a long time. Finally, what helped was to actually sit down and define what the stages of hunger were in my mind. I had seen a chart that went from 1-10 and gave words for each level. So I tried to picture those in my mind. Now I've figured out that if I'm so full that I don't want to move...that's 10 on the scale. 8 on the scale is when my tummy hurts because I ate too much. 6-7 is where I try to stop. That is where I'm full, but could eat more. Over time I've gotten to where I don't like that sore tummy feeling so I try to stop before that.

I also found that a lot of the times when I ate, ate, and ate some more were more related to emotional eating rather than physical hunger.

I think I've seen that chart before, I forgot about it. I'm going to try and find it again and print it out. I've done a lot of reading about mindful reading and I can't remember exactly where I saw that. That is a great suggestion to stop at 6 or 7, I tend to not think about stopping until I'm over full (probably a 10+)

You are right about the emotional eating, I'm sure that's a big part of why I eat. It relaxes me. I've been trying to go to my sewing and quilting more often so I don't use food as a release. I need to work on that.
~Laura~
SewingMom

Postby frozenveg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:08 pm

I've been having a really hard time for the past year or more, trying to tell if I'm hungry, or when I'm full. I can go for a day or more without eating anything--trying not to eat until I felt hungry--but eventually, I had to eat so I could trust myself to drive home from work, for instance. I haven't managed to get a time to wait until I actually felt hunger, like I used to. Also, I seem to be getting a lot more full on the same amount of food I ate for the first 3 years I was eating this way, and that seemed to come on very suddenly, almost overnight.

And then there is that concept of stopping eating before you're full. I don't know how to do that. I watched the video on stopping when you're 80% full, but I still don't get it. I stop eating--sometimes lunch and sometimes dinner--and half an hour later, I am stuffed so full! I didn't feel that while I was eating, and I am taken by surprise! So, this is a work in progress for me--I am having a hard time getting my brain around the fact that I probably should take smaller portions than I had eaten for the previous 3 years! I guess it's my next project...

A couple of notes on the other questions: I actually asked Jeff Novick a few months ago about green beans--and he assured me that they are a regular green vegetable, as has been asserted in this thread. Nutritional yeast isn't super high in fat--about 10 to 15%--or sodium, but 2 (rounded) tablespoons have 60 calories, so it adds a decent number of calories to whatever you're making. I use it in chilis, and it's an ingredient in my 2 favorite salad dressings, but I do keep those calories in mind!

This is an interesting topic. I'd like to hear from more people about hunger and fullness, since I'm apparently going to have to study it for a while!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:16 am

SewingMom wrote:I must have a different edition of MWL than you do, I don't have a cheese sauce recipe on page 217.

Maybe I read the Kindle page wrong - I'm still getting used to it. In the book it's page 219. Mary calls it brewer's yeast then in parentheses writes nutritional yeast. There's a BIG taste difference between the two. That particular recipe only calls for a quarter cup of it.

I do love cheese sauce made with nutritional yeast.

Sometimes it makes food *too* enticing.

I have a wonderful recipe I use with a sweet potato base but I am afraid it uses about 1/2 cup of nooch for 4 cups of sauce. That may be too much... not sure.

I once saw one that wanted a whole cup with only 3 cups of water. No, I never tried it, but whoa! That might be too much even for me! :lol:

I think there is fat in nooch..?

As Dr. McD has said to people who complain about his low fat food plan, there's fat in all foods. This page will give you a nice breakdown of the nutritional information of nutritional yeast.
VeggieSue

Postby grandma6 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:02 pm

" Nutritional yeast isn't super high in fat--about 10 to 15%--or sodium, but 2 (rounded) tablespoons have 60 calories, so it adds a decent number of calories to whatever you're making. I use it in chilis, and it's an ingredient in my 2 favorite salad dressings, but I do keep those calories in mind!"

OH MY GOODNESS! Who would have ever thought! I do love it and have been lavishing it on all of my soups and meals daily (oh boy). Thanks so much for posting that. NY goes so nicely with grains especially rice and potato. Sometimes I just roll my potato in it! I'll have to cut back for sure. My first week on MWL (first weigh in on Tuesday).

I also have a question...what is nooch?
grandma6

Postby frozenveg » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:17 pm

grandma6 wrote:
" OH MY GOODNESS! Who would have ever thought! I do love it and have been lavishing it on all of my soups and meals daily (oh boy). Thanks so much for posting that. NY goes so nicely with grains especially rice and potato. Sometimes I just roll my potato in it! I'll have to cut back for sure. My first week on MWL (first weigh in on Tuesday).

I also have a question...what is nooch?

Nooch is the affectionate term we use for Nutritional Yeast! :-D
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby SewingMom » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:38 pm

frozenveg wrote:I've been having a really hard time for the past year or more, trying to tell if I'm hungry, or when I'm full. I can go for a day or more without eating anything--trying not to eat until I felt hungry--but eventually, I had to eat so I could trust myself to drive home from work, for instance. I haven't managed to get a time to wait until I actually felt hunger, like I used to. Also, I seem to be getting a lot more full on the same amount of food I ate for the first 3 years I was eating this way, and that seemed to come on very suddenly, almost overnight.

And then there is that concept of stopping eating before you're full. I don't know how to do that. I watched the video on stopping when you're 80% full, but I still don't get it. I stop eating--sometimes lunch and sometimes dinner--and half an hour later, I am stuffed so full! I didn't feel that while I was eating, and I am taken by surprise! So, this is a work in progress for me--I am having a hard time getting my brain around the fact that I probably should take smaller portions than I had eaten for the previous 3 years! I guess it's my next project...

A couple of notes on the other questions: I actually asked Jeff Novick a few months ago about green beans--and he assured me that they are a regular green vegetable, as has been asserted in this thread. Nutritional yeast isn't super high in fat--about 10 to 15%--or sodium, but 2 (rounded) tablespoons have 60 calories, so it adds a decent number of calories to whatever you're making. I use it in chilis, and it's an ingredient in my 2 favorite salad dressings, but I do keep those calories in mind!

This is an interesting topic. I'd like to hear from more people about hunger and fullness, since I'm apparently going to have to study it for a while!

I think I'm having the same trouble about portioning. I used to weigh quite a bit more than I do now and that may be part of the problem I'm having losing this last bit is that my portions need to be smaller. I'm going to try to pay more attention to when I might feel 80% full but I'm definitely going to have a hard time with that. I've never been one who could detect when I was "too full" or when something was "too rich". These are foreign things to me. I hope to get some of this sensation back as time goes.

So glad that green beans are a regular vegetable! I love them so this will help a lot. I know canned veggies probably shouldn't be our first choice but in a pinch it's nice to have a canned vegetable that I truly enjoy :)

Would you be willing to point me to your 2 favorite salad dressing recipes if they are online or in one of Dr. McD's books?
~Laura~
SewingMom

Postby SewingMom » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:47 pm

VeggieSue wrote:
SewingMom wrote:I must have a different edition of MWL than you do, I don't have a cheese sauce recipe on page 217.

Maybe I read the Kindle page wrong - I'm still getting used to it. In the book it's page 219. Mary calls it brewer's yeast then in parentheses writes nutritional yeast. There's a BIG taste difference between the two. That particular recipe only calls for a quarter cup of it.

I do love cheese sauce made with nutritional yeast.

Sometimes it makes food *too* enticing.

I have a wonderful recipe I use with a sweet potato base but I am afraid it uses about 1/2 cup of nooch for 4 cups of sauce. That may be too much... not sure.

I once saw one that wanted a whole cup with only 3 cups of water. No, I never tried it, but whoa! That might be too much even for me! :lol:

I think there is fat in nooch..?

As Dr. McD has said to people who complain about his low fat food plan, there's fat in all foods. This page will give you a nice breakdown of the nutritional information of nutritional yeast.

Thank you, I found the recipe! I'm going to try it next time I make cheese sauce. The recipe I've been using for my kids' mac and cheese is similar except you use a sweet potato instead of a regular one, there is chili powder added, and you don't use cornstarch and cook it - you just put it all in the blender and serve.

I agree with you, the nooch can definitely make foods very enticing! My kids love nutritional yeast so much they will eat it by the spoonful!
~Laura~
SewingMom

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program