Appear to be shrinking but no significant weight lost yet?!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Appear to be shrinking but no significant weight lost yet?!

Postby OOnaOwl » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:04 pm

I have been on the MWL plan for 3 weeks as of this weekend. My goal is to lose 22 pounds. So far I have lost possibly a couple of pounds-need to change my weigh-in method-have been doing it with clothes on so not getting a reliable read. Since beginning, my waist is down about an inch and all the extra fat that I can pinch appears to be shrinking (there seems to be less to pinch nearly every day-just using my fingers not calipers). Does this mean I am "on the right track" even though the scale barely reflects that yet? Or does it mean I need to increase the green and yellow veggies and cut back on starches/grains/etc. I have never before had this much weight gained & therefore to lose! I would love to hear your opinions on this matter please. Thank you in advance for your reply! Bless!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAKnwyn/]

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight" -Japanese proverb
OOnaOwl

Re: Appear to be shrinking but no significant weight lost ye

Postby ajhondrngal » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:08 pm

I think you are on the right track. Losing an inch off your waist in 3 weeks is good progress! And seeing the fat leaving in other areas is good as well.

We get so wrapped up in what the scale says, but that is only part of the equation. You could be building muscles while losing the fat which could keep you steady on the scale. I used to follow a different program and the lady recommended that we weigh on the scale once a month, but take measurements once a week. She talked about how she had lost a bunch of inches, but stayed pretty much the same in weight. Her body composition had changed for the better. So right now, your body could be making some of those kinds of changes and the weight will even out later.

Progress, not perfection.
ajhondrngal

Postby OOnaOwl » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:41 pm

ajhondrngal wrote:I think you are on the right track. Losing an inch off your waist in 3 weeks is good progress! And seeing the fat leaving in other areas is good as well.

We get so wrapped up in what the scale says, but that is only part of the equation. You could be building muscles while losing the fat which could keep you steady on the scale. I used to follow a different program and the lady recommended that we weigh on the scale once a month, but take measurements once a week. She talked about how she had lost a bunch of inches, but stayed pretty much the same in weight. Her body composition had changed for the better. So right now, your body could be making some of those kinds of changes and the weight will even out later.

Thank you for your response :). I hope that is the case & the weight will diminish too. I am just trying to get back to the same size & weight I was when I was vegan before. I don't understand how I could be building muscles if I don't exercise that much. Just a little running and yoga each week but not every day, and neither new to me.

Thanks again for your reply, means a lot to me!

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:32 pm

Still looking for additional input on this conundrum from members. Anything you can share with me will be most appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)

OOnaOwl

Postby CelticQ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:04 pm

Hi. I share the same problem. I am even a little embarrassed to post to the weekly weigh-in board because I haven't been able to report any weight loss for the past three weeks. Yet, I know I'm dropping weight. I feel the difference in my body composition, and I have even noticed that my slacks are getting a bit baggy. In fact, a friend recently commented on my weight loss. I am willing to bet that, eventually, the scale will catch up for both of us.
CelticQ

Postby CelticQ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:06 pm

Hi. I share the same problem. I am even a little embarrassed to post to the weekly weigh-in board because I haven't been able to report any weight loss for the past three weeks. Yet, I know I'm dropping weight. I feel the difference in my body composition, and I have even noticed that my slacks are getting a bit baggy. In fact, a friend recently commented on my weight loss. I am willing to bet that, eventually, the scale will catch up for you and for me. :-D
CelticQ

Postby OOnaOwl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:40 am

CelticQ wrote:Hi. I share the same problem. I am even a little embarrassed to post to the weekly weigh-in board because I haven't been able to report any weight loss for the past three weeks. Yet, I know I'm dropping weight. I feel the difference in my body composition, and I have even noticed that my slacks are getting a bit baggy. In fact, a friend recently commented on my weight loss. I am willing to bet that, eventually, the scale will catch up for both of us.

Thanks for posting! I feel embarrassed by it too. 2 people commented yesterday on how I look slimmer but both scale and measuring tape show virtually NO measurable loss. I am nearing the end of my second month on the MMWLP.

Fingers crossed that you are right about the scale! :)

Would love to keep in touch with you here about this if you are game. Bless!

OOnaOwl

Postby shar_63 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:19 pm

I am experiencing the same issue right now, and I have to remind myself that the first time I used this program I managed to go down a full size over a couple of weeks with no significant loss showing on the scale. :) Muscle weight vs fat weight is definitely an issue. I had to laugh, because after two weeks of groaning at the numbers on the scale I went into work and someone said, "You've really lost a lot of weight in the past few weeks."

:nod:
shar_63

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program