What am I doing wrong?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

What am I doing wrong?

Postby MOMS » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:51 am

So I've been eating the "McDougall" way for for over 1.5 years now & (in addition to health issues flaring us since starting, acne raging which I've never had before in my life, and dry scalp) I've also gained almost 10 pounds. Obviously I'm really doing something wrong! So heres a typical day, which doesn't vary too much from day to day:

Breakfast:
1 large banana or about 2 cups of chopped papaya
2 servings of organic quick oats

Snack:
carrots and maybe 1/2 an apple

Lunch:
1/2 head lettuce with red bell pepper & lots of steamed green beans, asparagus & zucchini
followed by white rice pudding or steamed potatoes (with mustard) or maybe a couple slices of toast with jelly

Usually not too long after lunch I start feeling horrible. H pylori acting up, stomach is VERY bloated & feels like it's on fire on the inside usually constipated with gas :?

Dinner:
Since I'm usually not feeling too good but still hungry, some steamed veggies with toast & jelly

Snack:
My hubby & all my kids have cereal as an evening snack so I'll take 3-4 bites of a multigrain cereal & a small chunk of banana
GARCIA
MOMS

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Postby MOMS » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:10 am

Come to think of it, I eat A LOT of carrots throughout the day. Maybe like 7 or 8
GARCIA
MOMS

Postby JaniceYvonne » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:21 am

Hi There. ditch the bread, and it sounds like there might be a Gluten issue..so stay clear (most oats have gluten to one degree or another) :D . ditch the jelly. Are you moving around? I trust you are not using artificial sweeteners or diet soda?
Some might say to also ditch white rice in favor of whole grain.
JaniceYvonne

Postby frozenveg » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:05 am

Couple of other thoughts--quick oats are not whole grains--use the 5-minute-cook (Old Fashioned) kind; cut back on the fruit a bit and add in more vegetables and whole starches. Try different vegetables, in different amounts, if these are making your stomach hurt. And what is white rice pudding made of?
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby scooterpie » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:41 am

According to JeffN, Quick Oats are fine.

MOMS, if indeed you have tested positive for H. pylori, as someone mentioned in reply to your post in the health issues forum, one part of the treatment is antibiotics. For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicobact ... #Treatment.

I hope you get it figured out!
scooterpie

Postby frozenveg » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:05 pm

scooterpie wrote:According to JeffN, Quick Oats are fine.

MOMS, if indeed you have tested positive for H. pylori, as someone mentioned in reply to your post in the health issues forum, one part of the treatment is antibiotics. For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicobact ... #Treatment.

I hope you get it figured out!

Scooterpie, thanks for the clarification on quick oats! I keep forgetting about the difference between them and instant!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby MOMS » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:20 pm

I do exercise. I run about 4 miles per day plus a 20-30 minute workout scission, 5 days per week.

I use Stevia and cinnamon. Drink only water & sparkling water.

I am off the bread now (thanks to all your guys help)

The "rice pudding" is just white rice and water (1cup rice, 8 cups water, cooked until pudding like)

Thank you EVERYONE for you help :?
GARCIA
MOMS

Postby MOMS » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:38 pm

Another question, is spaghetti ok? like corn or jerusalem artichoke?
GARCIA
MOMS

Postby MOMS » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:46 pm

I only eat romaine lettuce. And I too LOVE bananas and oats. Today's my first day without both :( I miss them but If it'll make me feel better, I'm all for it! I don't eat tomatoes or pasta sauce.
Thanks for your help
GARCIA
MOMS

Postby tangeletti2 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:42 pm

My reading of the MWL program is that you decrease the fruits to about one a day.... I realized I was going hog wild on the fruits on a different plan that didn't allow the starches... that's why I stalled... no starches so I was trying to get them from the fruits.... try backing off the fruits to one a day and see what your body does...mine lost 5 in a week by doing that.
tangeletti2

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program