Replace mashed potatoes with mashed mixed root vegetables

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Replace mashed potatoes with mashed mixed root vegetables

Postby Breadman » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:18 am

Turnips, carrots and celery have a calorie density of around a third of potatoes. So to increase the veggie part of your meal, just make the veggies part of your mashed potatoes. Take 1/4 to 1/2 of your potatoes and replace them with the other root veggies. Adding carrots makes it sweeter, celery adds a vegetable-stock flavor to it, turnips do not change the taste very much.

So if you have problems losing weight, make this your staple starch.
Breadman

Re: Replace mashed potatoes with mashed mixed root vegetable

Postby wkriski » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:34 am

Great idea. My wife makes a great turnip/carrot mash. I'm still losing fat eating mashed potatoes and baked fries every day. My first instinct is that people aren't adhering to the diet (they are often unaware or in denial of some of their choices). So reducing starch wouldn't be my first choice. Also make sure you're still satiated if you cut back on starch as that can lead to snacking.
wkriski

Postby Katydid » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:58 am

I have a sensitivity to nightshades, so I'll roast turnips, rutabagas, parsnips, carrots, cabbage and onions together. You can eat this as a stew by making a gravy with a little cornstarch and water, or mash together as a side dish.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Breadman » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:55 am

Yes, you should not overdo it. I add carrots and a bit of celery for taste mostly. This is also a way to conform to the guidelines while still eating nothing but a large plate of mashed tubers and gravy.
Breadman

Postby JulieS » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:00 pm

Breadman wrote:Yes, you should not overdo it. I add carrots and a bit of celery for taste mostly. This is also a way to conform to the guidelines while still eating nothing but a large plate of mashed tubers and gravy.

I do this for myself, too, except I sometimes add to the mash steamed butternut squash, which is really good also! My family doesn't like the mash mixtures, preferring the straight up potato mashers, so I have to do it for my lunch whenever I want it. ;-)
LOST 55 POUNDS! From pant size 14 to size 4, BMI:21
JulieS

Postby Breadman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:57 am

Oh, I'll have to try adding squash, then. :D
Breadman

Postby MamaSistina » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:53 pm

I started doing this after reading this post and really enjoy it. Thanks for the idea!
MamaSistina

Postby Concerned » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:07 am

Katydid, do you roast them covered or uncovered? With liquid? With spices? For how long?
Thanks!
Concerned

Postby Katydid » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:31 am

I roast them covered with two layers of aluminum foil so that they don't dry out. I use dehydrated onion, garlic, pepper and rosemary as seasonings. I sprinkle the vegetables with a little water or vegetable broth at the beginning so that the spices stick. As the vegetables heat up, they release their own water. I roast them for an hour at 375 F; I turn the pan and give it a good shake every 15 minutes of so.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Concerned » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:31 am

Thanks! I'd like to try that.
Concerned

Postby Ampin Up » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:41 am

Try adding beets for sweetness and color. -Jeff
Jeff - Certified Starch Solution Instructor
Down over 50 lbs and controlling BP, cholesterol, diabetes and arthritis no meds
Free Health info and recipes on my website
Self-Paced classes from $1
https://sites.google.com/site/letsbehealthytogether/
Ampin Up

Postby Cristina » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:03 am

After experimenting with this idea, I think my favorite combination is to boil cauliflower and parsnips separately because of different cooking times, then mashing them together. Really nice flavor. Last time, I added in some celery and it was even better.

I edited this to say that I'm so grateful to Dr. McDougall for providing me with a way to love vegetables and thrive on vegetables!
Cristina

Postby frozenveg » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:58 am

Cristina wrote:After experimenting with this idea, I think my favorite combination is to boil cauliflower and parsnips separately because of different cooking times, then mashing them together. Really nice flavor. Last time, I added in some celery and it was even better.

I edited this to say that I'm so grateful to Dr. McDougall for providing me with a way to love vegetables and thrive on vegetables!

Cristina, what a nice thought! I agree with you--I always neglected vegetables in all my meals before finding Dr. M., no matter how hard I tried to eat "nutritiously," and now, of course, that's all I eat (if you count potatoes and grains as vegetables), and I love it!! Thank you always, Dr. McDougall!!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Breadman » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:34 am

Using beets makes pink potatoes.
Breadman

Postby Breadman » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:16 am

LynnCS wrote:
Breadman wrote:Yes, you should not overdo it. I add carrots and a bit of celery for taste mostly. This is also a way to conform to the guidelines while still eating nothing but a large plate of mashed tubers and gravy.

Hi Breadman. What do you mean by "you should not overdo it." Thanks.

If you use too much other stuff in your mashed potatoes, it can ruin the texture, flavor and calorie density of the mix and stop being mashed potatoes. You can find something else that's super tasty, though.
Breadman

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program