Appetite

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Appetite

Postby rphalange » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:10 pm

I began the MWL plan this past Monday and had been eating vegan (though with the addition of processed foods) for a couple of months prior. My appetite has dropped way off the last couple of days.

Is this normal? Should I try to eat, even if I'm not hungry?

Today, I have had:

8:30 AM - coffee (I know, I know. This is the one thing I haven't given up, yet)
10:30 AM - cantaloupe
1:30 PM - salad w/ a variety of raw veggies, a bit of quinoa, and oil free dressing (wasn't really hungry, but felt like I should eat something)
3:45 PM - 2 small baked potatoes with black eyed peas & pico (again, not truly hungry, but...)

Any input would be appreciated! :)
Started MWLP 03-11-2013

RPhalange's MWLP Journal
rphalange

Re: Appetite

Postby pinkrose » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Rphalange, it seems that you are doing well! If you are feeling well otherwise, do not worry about the decrease in appetite. I think many here have found relief from cravings and maybe that is part of what you are experiencing. Eat when you are hungry and eat until you are satisfied!!!

Enjoy the food and keep us posted! :-D
pinkrose

Postby heatherjoy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi rphalange,

From my personal experience and from reading various forums I have found that it is quite normal to have dips in appetite. I find that I have days that I eat very lightly, like you have described, but that is often followed by a period of eating more heartily. Usually the fast rate of weight loss achieved when my appetite is very small is slowed down my slight gains, very slow losses or just maintaining when my appetite is greater, but there is still an overall weight loss. This is speaking mainly from my experience doing nearly-McDougall - I have been trying to stay on the plan for ages but having small things that I am only just letting go of now like I had a coffee shop soy latte every day for several months then I just woke up on Sunday and thought, 'I am ready to move on after today', went shopping for a coffee substitute and since Monday I have been caffeine-free, which I thought would never happen! Anyways, I don't think you should worry about having a small appetite for now. I think it would only be if you were underweight and/or not meeting nutritional requirements for an extended period of time that it would matter.
heatherjoy

Postby rphalange » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks for the input!
Started MWLP 03-11-2013

RPhalange's MWLP Journal
rphalange

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program