how do you cook your potatoes and yams?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

how do you cook your potatoes and yams?

Postby chewy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:58 am

do you bake in the oven,microwave,steam,boil?i am concerned about the talk of acrylamides in baked potatoes.should i not be concerned?
chewy

Re: how do you cook your potatoes and yams?

Postby janluvs2heel » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:55 pm

You know, I nuke most of my potatoes. I have a couple dishes I bought somewhere, they are potato size & they cook the potatoes more evenly & faster, even in the microwave. Really, everything is so much more nutritious on this plan, I just dont think you can worry too much about stuff that may or may not be in the baked potatoes. Just think about what your diet was before & how much "stuff" there was in that. :shock:

Jan
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:11 am

There have been several discussions of that issue on Jeff's forum. Do a search for those threads. But basically Jeff said it's not worth spending ANY time worrying about. Cook 'em however you like to cook 'em!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Burgess » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:20 am

I eat about 25 pounds of potatoes, sweet potatoes, and yams per week. I always boil them. I boil enough to last for about two days (six meals).

Baking tends to dry out potatoes that will be stored. I like boiling because the potatoes stay moist and because it is a way to clean the skins of any grit. (I never scrub potatoes.)
Burgess Laughlin, Star McDougaller
My books: http://www.reasonversusmysticism.com
My health weblog: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com
Burgess

Postby Gweithgar » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:34 am

I like red potatoes for breakfast, and I cook those overnight in my small crock pot. They get lovely and done inside, and the skins get crispy where they touch the walls of the crock.

I also like red potatoes for hash browns. I bake them in the oven until they are nearly done (still nice and firm), cool them in the fridge, and chop them (with an onion) in the food processor. I add a bit of ground flax seed for binder, make patties, and cook in a nonstick skillet.

For sweet potatoes (yams) I like the small, long ones. I bake them on a cookie sheet and carry them cold for snacks.

I almost never buy baking potatoes anymore. My son works as a field applicator for a farm service cooperative, and his job is mostly applying fertilizers, pesticides, etc., to the fields of vegetable growers. Red potatoes get much less gunk applied to them. Baking potatoes get a bunch of stuff applied. Anyway, I like the reds so much better.
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:26 am

I eat mostly Yukon golds, and I microwave them. Works great, esp. since you're not gonna get that "Idaho baker" skin in the oven w/ them anyway, so who cares? :mrgreen:
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby janluvs2heel » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:33 pm

ETeSelle wrote:I eat mostly Yukon golds, and I microwave them. Works great, esp. since you're not gonna get that "Idaho baker" skin in the oven w/ them anyway, so who cares? :mrgreen:

I discovered the Yukon golds last summer & I hardly eat any other kind now. They just have a slight buttery taste that I love & they come in a smaller size, as opposed to the giant russetts. At least at most of the grocery stores I shop at, the russetts are huge, where as the Yukons are smaller.

Jan
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby Acura » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:25 pm

We have rice pressure cooker. MY wife puts few potatoes in the same cooker above the rice pan. So it is cooked by steaming and since you pretty much cook rice everyday, you can also cook few potatoes every other day that way not have to worry about going rancid/mold etc.
CC
Acura

Postby Silver » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:32 am

Burgess wrote:I eat about 25 pounds of potatoes, sweet potatoes, and yams per week. I always boil them. I boil enough to last for about two days (six meals).

Baking tends to dry out potatoes that will be stored. I like boiling because the potatoes stay moist and because it is a way to clean the skins of any grit. (I never scrub potatoes.)

Burgess, what is the reason you don't scrub them? Do you use organic?
Silver

Postby Burgess » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:45 am

No, I don't use organic potatoes. I don't scrub the potatoes I buy because -- as a I said -- boiling removes any grit that was on the skin. The potatoes I buy seem to have been cleaned before being put on sale.
Burgess Laughlin, Star McDougaller
My books: http://www.reasonversusmysticism.com
My health weblog: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com
Burgess

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:46 pm

debbie wrote:I dont and cant worry about all the "things" that could be wrong with taters and other foods. If I did, I'd never eat again and neither would my kids. I have to use my judgement and believe that the small amount of "things" that maybe lurking is undone by a good diet as opposed to how much "stuff" we would be getting if we were eating the SAD.

I agree. I don't worry about it at all, honestly. I'm eating the best way I can and that's that!
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby CJJ » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:21 pm

I'm supposed to be worried about my potatoes??? :?: :shock: :-o

I had no idea! When did this news flash come out??? Argh! Might HAVE to have my own garden next summer (although it is so iffy here). I mean I live in Idaho, I guess I can grow some ID potatoes (cuz buying them here is next to impossible :roll: ).

Anyway, can someone tell me a great way to BAKE sweet potatoes?? I rolled a couple in foil and baked them along with my russets but they were MUSH inside. :?
CJJ

Postby Silver » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:48 pm

CJJ wrote:Anyway, can someone tell me a great way to BAKE sweet potatoes?? I rolled a couple in foil and baked them along with my russets but they were MUSH inside. :?

Hmmm.... I thought that was how they were supposed to be. They have such a high water/juice content. I have found that if you leave them in the frig. for a day or so they are less mushy. You could try to take them out a little sooner, but I just work with the mush. I take them out of their peel and mash the with the back of a fork so they are like mashed potatoes, and sometimes eat them plain. Or I sprinkle them with a little cinnamon and top with apple chucks and/or sliced banana.
Silver

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:38 pm

I'm with Silver, I prefer my sweet potatoes to be mushy. That is when they are so sweet.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby toadfood » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:16 pm

Gweithgar, those crock pot red potatoes sound yummy. Do you just put them in the pot whole? Do you poke them with a fork first? Any water in the crock with them?

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program